cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would this be crazy??

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well I'm kinda thinking about looking at a Class A. I've currently driving a truck I bought new in 2002 with 231k miles on it, and pulling a 3 year old travel trailer. It is getting about time to replace the truck.

I really like Jeeps, and have had a couple over the years and would really like to go back to one as my daily, but I need a truck for the camper.

Looking at new truck prices, I'll be looking at $45-50k for a truck. Looking online it looks like a 10-15 year old class A can be found for $50-60k, and I could sell my camper for $20k and end up with a class A and a Jeep and be out of pocket about the same amount of money. I'm pretty handy with most thing and DIY just about all out home and auto repairs so an older coach/jeep doesn't overly concern me.

We have always thought one day when we retired, or won the lotto we'd get a class A, but I'm thinking we might could do it now.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
24 REPLIES 24

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
valhalla360 wrote:
If you really want a Jeep, that's a sound reason for going the MH route.

But the dollar comparison makes zero sense, unless you are just trying to manipulate the analysis to get the answer you've already decided on (possibly trying to convince the wife?). If you are going to go with a 10-15yr old MH, why wouldn't you compare to a 10-15yr old pickup? We picked up a 2008 F250 in really good condition last year for $10k...tax, title, everything, so no, you don't need to spend $40-50k on a pickup (or alternatively, if you buy a new MH, you won't get much of one in the price range you mentioned).

I know my logic is a little off. My reasoning on a new truck is I keep my trucks a long time. My current one I've been driving for 17 years, so I would get new to get what I want, as we should be retiring within the next 15 years, and the truck would last til retirement, then get a class A.
The thought behind going used class A/Jeep, is it would get us both to what we want now.

I'll probably get a truck in the next year or two, and consider the clas A when the kids are out of college and we recover from that in 8-10 years.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
We did something similar. We had a truck and a travel trailer. We always wanted to upgrade to a Class A. My wife has always wanted a Jeep Wrangler so we traded in her Durango for a new Jeep. I liked the Jeep so much, I bought a 2 door Wrangler (hers is a 4 door) about a year later. Ended up selling the trailer and got a Class A and never looked back. We can tow either Jeep behind the motorhome. I worried about spending so much money on the Class A but we can afford it. My dad was very tight with money and never spent a dime. He ended up getting cancer at 49 and was dead right after his 50th birthday. Can't take it will you. Just need to find the right combination of saving and spending.
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you really want a Jeep, that's a sound reason for going the MH route.

But the dollar comparison makes zero sense, unless you are just trying to manipulate the analysis to get the answer you've already decided on (possibly trying to convince the wife?). If you are going to go with a 10-15yr old MH, why wouldn't you compare to a 10-15yr old pickup? We picked up a 2008 F250 in really good condition last year for $10k...tax, title, everything, so no, you don't need to spend $40-50k on a pickup (or alternatively, if you buy a new MH, you won't get much of one in the price range you mentioned).
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No, it's not crazy.
Life is short, buy and play with your toys while you are able. You don't know what life will hand you tomorrow.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
You'll go a long ways to be more comfortable than this.

beaverhttps://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2005-Beaver-Motor-Coaches-Monteray-40--Laguna-Diesel-5008369527
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
Tom/Barb wrote:
happy2rv wrote:
This is a tough question for someone else to answer. One man's crazy is an others genius :B.

While the amounts of initial outlay may be similar. I think that's the only comparison. With a new truck, you end up with Well a new truck and keep an almost new trailer. The truck would be under warranty and you should know the condition/history of your trailer. With a 10+ year old class A, you will be buying someone else's problems and without warranty or fore knowledge of it's shall we say quirks. That's not to say there aren't any decent RVs in that age range, but I have been around RV's my entire life and my family and I have owned many and every one I've ever seen has its own quirks/issues.

You indicate you are pretty handy and could handle most DIY projects, but is that how you want to spend your time? Some people enjoy working on them as much or more than camping in them.

A couple of things to think about.

Your current trailer is only a couple of years old. Did you buy it new? If so, you know how its been cared for. You know its good points and bad. Do you have any experience with older RVs? Do you know what to look for to cull the "good" from the "bad"?

Many 10+ year old RVs have low mileage, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Vehicles that sit for 11 months out of the year with no or very intermittent use don't age well.

Most 10+ year old RVs have been stored outside and uncovered most/all of their life and most have not received proper maintenance when it comes to roof and window sealants. Most have been exposed to some leak damage somewhere.

If you don't like your trailer or want the class A experience, that could be a determining factor. There are pros and cons to travel trailer/fifth wheel vs motor home.

You don't indicate any parameters other than cost, but at 60K you are in the territory of new class C or newer low end class A units.

Yep.. and when it is raining like hell, wind raging, he can pull into the camp spot , push a few buttons. level up. and kick back.
rather than getting out and setting up the trailer.

Every device we camp in is a device that needs maintenance.

No argument here. As I said, each has their own advantages and disadvantages. I wasn't trying to sway one way or the other. Just pointing out that comparing a brand new truck/trailer to a 10+ year old RV is about more than just $$. All require maintenance and if you know that it was done and done right, an older unit might not be a problem. Unfortunately its been my experience that its hard to find a 10+ year old RV that's been meticulously maintained.

I've owned both and enjoyed both. There are a lot of things I miss about my motor home and a lot of things I don't miss. Right now, for me, the trailer is a better option for many reasons but that can and likely will change again over time. I can't/wouldn't speak for anyone else.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
happy2rv wrote:
This is a tough question for someone else to answer. One man's crazy is an others genius :B.

While the amounts of initial outlay may be similar. I think that's the only comparison. With a new truck, you end up with Well a new truck and keep an almost new trailer. The truck would be under warranty and you should know the condition/history of your trailer. With a 10+ year old class A, you will be buying someone else's problems and without warranty or fore knowledge of it's shall we say quirks. That's not to say there aren't any decent RVs in that age range, but I have been around RV's my entire life and my family and I have owned many and every one I've ever seen has its own quirks/issues.

You indicate you are pretty handy and could handle most DIY projects, but is that how you want to spend your time? Some people enjoy working on them as much or more than camping in them.

Your current trailer is only a couple of years old. Did you buy it new? If so, you know how its been cared for. You know its good points and bad. Do you have any experience with older RVs? Do you know what to look for to cull the "good" from the "bad"?

Many 10+ year old RVs have low mileage, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Vehicles that sit for 11 months out of the year with no or very intermittent use don't age well.

Most 10+ year old RVs have been stored outside and uncovered most/all of their life and most have not received proper maintenance when it comes to roof and window sealants. Most have been exposed to some leak damage somewhere.

If you don't like your trailer or want the class A experience, that could be a determining factor. There are pros and cons to travel trailer/fifth wheel vs motor home.

You don't indicate any parameters other than cost, but at 60K you are in the territory of new class C or newer low end class A units.

Yep.. and when it is raining like hell, wind raging, he can pull into the camp spot , push a few buttons. level up. and kick back.
rather than getting out and setting up the trailer.

Every device we camp in is a device that needs maintenance.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer

2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Do your home work, there are some very nice M/H for sale now the 2002- thru-2008 with out EPA equipment.
I'd be searching for a Beaver, Newmar -mountain Aire or higher or several other high end coaches.

We love our 2000 Newmar, is has been bullet proof.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a motorhome and absolutly love it. It is vastly easier to use.
FMCA member