cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you drive a 1985 Class C with 130k 2,500 miles RT?

Bixels
Explorer
Explorer
Would you drive a 1985 Class C with 130k miles 2,500 miles RT? Recently purchased. Trying to decide if it's ok for long hauls or just short trips. Mechanic says it's in ok shape. Just needs a some maintenance. Thoughts?
18 REPLIES 18

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
All about the condition. If it's in good condition, no concerns.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Valkyriebush
Explorer II
Explorer II
You really need to get someone who knows RV's to check it out. The year and mileage mean nothing if it's really been taken care of. Unless the price is really low, I might start looking for something else a little newer.
Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
How old are the tires. It is not how much tread they have it is about previous care and age/ Over 5-6 years old you NEED new tires as you do not know how they were cared for. A Catastrophic blowout at highway speed can cost thousands of dollars. So find the DOT date code and determine their age. It is not like a car tire Motor home tires tend to sit and bake in the sun for long periods. This allows the compounds in the tire to deteriorate. Your car gets driven daily and this tends to keep the compounds distributed in the tire.
Brake fluid needs to be changed Yes that is a real maintenance item. As Brake fluid gets old it gets contaminated and the boiling point of the fluid gets lowered. I am including a link to Mercedes website
http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/45/~/how-often-should-the-brake-fluid-in-my-mercedes-benz-be-changed%3F
BTW I drive my 1990 3200 miles each way from New York to Arizona every year.
Yes I have experienced problems on the road but it could happen anywhere
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's checked over, maintenance and repairs done. Good tires brakes and hoses. What chassis and engine?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB