cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buckboard bacon . ???

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some Hi-Mountain Buckboard Bacon Cure to make some lean bacon. I forget whether I used the suggested Boston Butt aka shoulder, sirloin or boneless loin. I don't think choice of cut should matter. I followed directions as per time to cure then smoked it with hickory. It turned out great but tasted like good ham. Not bacon. Hi-Mountain is a pretty reputable spice company so I don't know if I messed up. I don't know how. Have any of you briner/curer/ smoker fans used Buckboard with good results or can you recommend a commercial spice that the results taste like commercial bacon? I have a $1.80 # pork loin that awaits your reply.. ๐Ÿ™‚ Thanks a bunch..
Jerry
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500
10 REPLIES 10

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
Jerry,
I do recommend you trying the loin for Canadian bacon if you like that. I have a thread on here from making my own about a month ago.

I'll check it out...I brined a boneless loin standing it on end in a gallon jar for a couple weeks. Instead of smoking it I boiled it. That was some good stuff.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry,
I do recommend you trying the loin for Canadian bacon if you like that. I have a thread on here from making my own about a month ago.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fatback is sometimes used for American style bacon as well. Fatback is a standard staple in Southern groceries so I daresay it's regional in its popularity.

Congratulations on going that extra mile in your culinary efforts for quality meals.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
OK. So I guess that's the answer. The cut of meat determines the flavor?? When we were raising five kids we would buy a side of beef. One outlet added a half of pork with every purchase. It included unsmoked fatback that was really good even not true bacon. I've never seen fatback in the modern supermarkets. I've used Conn-Yeager's ham brine that I've brined a loin in then boiled it. That was excellent no fat ham... Thanks..

GrumpyGator
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Hi-Mtn Buckboard Bacon lots of times. It always turns out great. I try to follow their recommendations. That usually works out best.

Buckboard bacon isn't typical bacon, just like Canadian bacon isn't typical bacon. Buckboard bacon is made from the butt, and Canadian bacon is made from the loin.

You want buckboard bacon, use the butt. Otherwise results will be unpredictable.
2015 Keystone Passport Elite 23RB

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
American style bacon is made from pork belly which gives it that streaked fat/lean combination and flavor that we associate with bacon here in the USA. Pork belly has a different flavor than loin or pork butt.

Buckboard Bacon has a different flavor because it's made with pork butt which resembles ham.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it's called bacon then it should be made from pork belly.
Google how yo make bacon esp Michael Ruhlman.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
Bacon is a meat product prepared from a pig and usually cured.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry,
Buckboard bacon won't taste like bacon. You can add some maple flavoring but still closer to ham than bacon. Canadian bacon is made with straight loin but you won't confuse that with bacon either.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
I've always used fresh pork belly for my bacon. Usually use a homemade cure, so can't really speak to that part. I do have a jar of cabelas brine waiting to be used, but haven't tried that yet. Seems to me the cut of meat will make more difference than the brine when it comes to flavor.
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard