cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Burns' Night

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Last night was a success. We had the Scottish and Scot-blooded over for the traditional Burns' night repast and readings. Everyone brought a traditional dish and I supplied the haggis from the Scottish Gourmet USA.. I heated it in a dutch oven of course.

If anyone is interested in celebrating their Scottish heritage you can buy a guide to putting on a Burns Night supper at the same website. I recommend this book.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
7 REPLIES 7

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Trekkar,
Thanks for the kind words. Having fun is one of the things that makes life worth living. All of my close friends are extreme people.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
ppine:

You continue to describe folks and events that seem to elude many of us. I always enjoy your posts.
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Elko we had a visit from a group of Italian stockmen. One of them played a set of bagpipes made from a goat skin. Parts of the instrument were hundreds of years old. I met up with the guy in the Pioneer Bar, and introduced him to my friend who is a packer from central Washington that also plays the pipes. We agreed to meet up the next afternoon in the bar at 4. Bring your instruments. It was all impromtu. We had the two guys alternate songs and try to out do each other. Good times. Everyone loved that one.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Since you have so many tuned into the bagpipe, you'll have to invite everyone over for a ceilidh to lighten the mood!:)
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Thanks for the post. I learned only recently our heritage is Scot/Irish and not English.

I used to have a saliboat at Lake Tahoe for many years and had a friend Eddie that grew up sailing on the Irish Sea. He was very experienced and a good man to have along in rough weather. I had him take me out in some really rough weather. We would reef the main at the marina and use our smallest head sail. Once we got nice and trim, I would have Eddie read Robert Burns while the spray was coming over the rail. Eddie RIP.

Next week we are headed to Elko, NV for the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. I have been going there for over 30 years. I will be reciting some poetry at open mike.

Good memories.:c

I didn’t pipe in the pudding (haggis) but a son of a friend did. He rallied us with “Scots Wha Hae“. The bagpipes are so loud he had to stand outside to do it. That brought the neighbors out to listen as well and they applauded him afterward. I have some tolerant neighbors:c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the post. I learned only recently our heritage is Scot/Irish and not English.

I used to have a saliboat at Lake Tahoe for many years and had a friend Eddie that grew up sailing on the Irish Sea. He was very experienced and a good man to have along in rough weather. I had him take me out in some really rough weather. We would reef the main at the marina and use our smallest head sail. Once we got nice and trim, I would have Eddie read Robert Burns while the spray was coming over the rail. Eddie RIP.

Next week we are headed to Elko, NV for the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering. I have been going there for over 30 years. I will be reciting some poetry at open mike.

Trekkar
Explorer
Explorer
Did you pipe in the haggis?
2014 Dodge Ram 1500
2021 Salem SFX 167RBK