cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cinco de Mayo menu

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you celebrate Cinco de Mayo, what are you serving up this year?

We're making Chicken Enchiladas with Mole Sauce from this recipe.
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/223260/chicken-enchiladas-with-mole-sauce/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
24 REPLIES 24

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of these look so good we're creating a Cinco de Mayo file of recipes. :w
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
This is my quick version of green chili verde.

Cube a pound or so of pork. I usually get what's on sale.

Two small cans of diced green chilis and one can of dice jalapinos. Drain and pour over the pork.

Add one can of stewed tomatoes, not drained.

Dice one onion and add.

Add salt, oregano, cilantro and garlic to taste.

Stir well and put in a slow cooker, dutch oven or even a oven and cook under low heat until the pork falls apart. I use a solar oven at around 250 degrees most of the day. Stir when done to break up the pork some and serve.

The solar cooker doesn't require extra water since it is sealed so you may need to add some depending on how you cook it, especially in a regular oven.

The basic recipe can be adjusted to make green chili sauce. Add water after cooking to thin it out, then starch to thicken like gravy. ( a Colorado and New Mexico thing)

Add a can of hominy drained for green chili posole. ( I add red chili powder too)

Take the tomatoes and chilis out for carnitas.

Play with it and make to taste. Maybe not authentic but my in laws seem to love it. There are authentic recipes on you tube if you prefer.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

SwanInWA
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be authentic, but I made it last night and it's fantastic. Makes a nice big casserole too, so there's plenty to share.

Salsa Verde Honey-Lime Chicken & Rice Bake

I'll be at work until 8pm on Cinco de Mayo, so no margaritas for me. ๐Ÿ™‚

Teri (the RV.netter)

Eric (the significant other)

[purple]Angus (the fur-faced kidlet)[/purple]
The B (2008 Pleasure-Way Lexor RL-4)

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." --St. Augustine

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Roy&Lynne wrote:
I'm so excited We are going to be close to the border this year and I'm going to try to find some goat. When I was growing up there use to be this restaurant that was called (in Spanish) The Old Man on the Corner and they had the BEST BBQ kid.
(I am sure glad there is a block button. I have been using it a lot lately)

Try and be near a community of West Indians around Carnival time or Labour Day. Lots of delicious goat roti and curried goat available. I don't know how far out west "the tribe" has made it in Canada or the US but for sure you can find West Indian communities from Toronto to points East.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so excited We are going to be close to the border this year and I'm going to try to find some goat. When I was growing up there use to be this restaurant that was called (in Spanish) The Old Man on the Corner and they had the BEST BBQ kid.
(I am sure glad there is a block button. I have been using it a lot lately)

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Honeys family is of Mexican descent so I make a lot of Mexican food.

Red chili and chicken Tamales with enchilada sauce

Roasted green chili and pork tamales with green chili sauce. ( a thinner chili Verde)

Green chili and pork Pazole

Flan
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
We're doing an open house this weekend so instead of cooking I'll just watch the parade from my window and maybe send the man downstairs for some carnitas. Generally food carts follow the parade route.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
Amazingly you seem some celebrations even in Canada, usually the big cultural centres like Toronto, Montreal etc. Any good reason to celebrate the a$$ kicking of France I suppose. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
We enjoy the large Cinco de Mayo Latino-sponsored festivals at churches. The children are a joy.

Magnus

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Since its a relatively minor holiday in Mexico we just have the usual taco, beans, and a beer.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL