cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grill conversion

perseid88
Explorer
Explorer
Can I convert any portable gas grill that uses the 1 lb propane bottles to use the quick connection of my 5er? I know I have to remove the regulator on the grill and add a short hose but wanted to know what other connection changes are needed and if I can expect the BTU output to be sufficient.
7 REPLIES 7

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my old post for Weber Q grills:

WEBER CONVERSION
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
The post above has a lot of good info. You did not say what grill you have. I can only speak for the Weber Q.

The basic idea is your quick connect off your trailer delivers low pressure gas off the regulator in the trailer. Most grills have a regulator to regulate high pressure gas from the screw on cylinders. Therefore, you end up with 2 regulators in the chain which can result in bad performance of the grill. You need to set up your grill for the low pressure gas from the trailer.

The solution is to remove the regulator on the grill. With the Weber Q grills this is easily done as the regulator simply unscrews and you're left with an 1/8 NPT male fitting. Calor makes an adapter fitting for this with a quick connect for your hose. It's a simple 5 minute conversion on Weber grills.

If you need more info I have an old post on this forum with pictures and will try to find it.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to the Jayco owners forum with an extensive discussion for converting portable grills to the low-pressure connection. It is addressing Weber grills but it is the same principle as most other portable grills.

Portable Grill Conversion to Low-pressure
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
The stove that I converted produced much higher BTU's with my big tank versus the small cannister. Evidence was the second and third burners had same flame as the first unlike the traditional first burner stealing all the pressure.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes. You should find everything you need at sites like http://caloreequipment.com/. The two types of quick connect are the low pressure 250 series of connectors and the high pressure 5LPN. The two are not compatible. The way to tell which you have is to look at the female end of the quick connect. If it has a small round tube in the center it is the low pressure 250; if it has a small bar in the center it is the 5LPN high pressure.

When you do this though you need to replace the regulator that normally comes on the grill where the small bottle attaches, with just a valve assembly. The propane connection coming off your RV is already regulated and having a second regulator in the circuit will not work.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes. Should work well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Should be no problem. Should perform exactly as it always has.

Do be aware there are two quick connect systems in use, depending on the age of the RV, neither of which is compatible with the other or with the ones used for compressed air.