cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

sourdough biscuit recipe

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
So who has a "tried and true recipe for sourdough biscuits?
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra
7 REPLIES 7

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
swtgran wrote:
Thank you. I have had my starter going for over 35 years and bake bread with it, constantly. I have just never tried biscuits. I have good luck with the recipe I have for biscuits, so I have never ventured into using sourdough to make them.

I think I will do these for supper tonight.

If you already have a starter and a biscuit recipe what's the issue?
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a link to a free starter source.

sourdough starter

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
I have just always made good old fashion, southern style biscuits, with a good quality lard, no additives. I never thought about changing up a good thing.

I know folks have been told lard is bad, but now the thinking has changed on that. Much better for you than that shortening, folks have been convinced to use for years.

I happen to be swamped with sourdough, since a couple of people wanted some of my starter, and I got a little carried away. I have a good bit of it drying, to mail. Just thought the biscuits would be a good use for some of the extra.

I put off making these, until the weekend, when the family is not so rushed.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...A biscuit recipe from The Biscuit!

How cool is that!
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
swtgran wrote:
Thank you. I have had my starter going for over 35 years and bake bread with it, constantly. I have just never tried biscuits. I have good luck with the recipe I have for biscuits, so I have never ventured into using sourdough to make them.

Well you didn't 'starter' recipe :B

Surprised with that much experience with starter you have never done sourdough biscuits.

Post back how they turn out---whether you like them
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer

Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
First you need a 'starter' (2 C/floor, packet of active yeast, 2 C/warm water)

In a covered 4-qt. glass mix flour and yeast.
Gradually stir in warm water until smooth. Cover loosely with a kitchen towel; let stand in a warm place 2-4 days or until mixture is bubbly, sour smelling and a clear liquid has formed on top. (Starter may darken, but if starter turns another coor or develops an offensive odor or mold, discard and start over.)

Cover tightly and refrigerate starter until ready to use.

Then for biscuits...
2 C/flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C/cold butter
1 C/'Starter'
1/2 C/buttermilk

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
Mix Starter and buttermilk together then stir into dry mixture with a fork until dough forms a ball.
Place dough ball on a well-floured surface; knead 10-12 times.
Roll to 1/2-in. thickness.
Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. biscuit cutter.
Place 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet.
Bake at 425ยฐ for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Brush with melted butter.
Place rolls on a wire rack to cool IF you can resist eating warm which is how I like them

Before using Starter:
Stir to blend in any liquid on top. Remove amount of starter needed; bring to room temperature before using.

To keep Starter going
For each 1/2 cup starter removed, add 1/2 cup flour and 1/2 cup warm water to the remaining starter and stir until smooth. Cover loosely and let stand in a warm place 1-2 days or until light and bubbly. Stir; cover tightly and refrigerate.

The Starter is the KEY to good sourdough biscuits
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31