cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Auld Country

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Started this thread in the hopes of others sharing their favorite foods from their ancestral lands. Feel free to chip in.

Returned from our group trip to Scotland for Hogmanay yesterday. Still fighting jet lag but enjoyed every minute of it. Had the opportunity to have a full Scottish breakfast with authentic ingredients. Breakfast included Lorne (square) sausage, black pudd, baked beans, fried eggs, grilled tomato and tattie scones.

Fun fact: our Scottish host claims that the idea for Spam originated from their square sausage. I can see it.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
18 REPLIES 18

dedmiston
Enjoy.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bag pipes are loud and use a lot of the high frequency spectrum so that the sound will carry across the mountains and countryside. They didnโ€™t have cell phones in the old days. LOL. They sound solemn and sad which is great for solemn occasions. Other parts of Europe also had bagpipes but the Scots will tell you they perfected them. LOL

OUR BURNSโ€™ Night starts in a couple of hours. See ya later.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins

Magnus

dedmiston
magnusfide wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
LOL. I'm afraid I don't even know what that means.

LOL. It's Scottish slang for playing the bagpipes (piping) while bringing in the haggis (piston) to the table.

Just what is it about the pipes anyway?

I attended a memorial flag ceremony for one of my Dad's old coworkers at Dad's old fire station a few weeks ago and they had a piper just like they did for Dad's service. There's something about having a piper there. As horrible as the squeal of the pipes is, it's just so doggone solemn. You can't help but get choked up once the piper begins.

The piper at Dad's ceremony almost twenty years ago was a grizzled old guy, but the recent piper was an adorable young woman probably in her early 30s. It was a little off-putting at first to see someone cute playing the pipes instead of an old dude, but she was tremendous. She did a great job. Not a dry eye in the place. It was pouring rain so we had to hold the service inside the engine room where the acoustics are enclosed, and her pipes absolutely rocked the station off its foundation.

Someone please talk about food before my eyes do that thing again.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

LOL. It's Scottish slang for playing the bagpipes (piping) while bringing in the haggis (piston) to the table.

Magnus

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

Bobby Burns' birthday was my parents anniversary. We used to celebrate at a famous L.A. restaurant called the Tam O'Shanter. They put on a great evening there.

That sounds like it was double the fun being your parents' anniversary. Did they "pipe in the piston"?

Magnus

dedmiston
magnusfide wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
I was hoping to see some more interesting entries here. Anyone else have anything to share?

We have Burns night coming up on Wednesday. The group has grown in number and so we have more adventurous cooks to bring the victuals.

The Full Burns Night Table will be set with the traditional Chieftain of the Pudding Race (Haggis) piped in on the pipes. Other delectables for the supper table:
Soups (Cullen Skink and C-o-c-k-a-leekie)
Neeps
Tatties
Desserts (Cranachan, Shortbread and Tipsy Laird)
Oat cakes
Cheese Board
Whisky will flow of course with designated drivers having non-alcoholic beverages.

"Selkirk Grace" and "Address to a Haggis" will be recited at the beginning. Robbie Burns' poetry will be recited by the sober throughout the night. It all starts at 6 pm and usually ends a little after midnight.

I am supplying 3 Haggis (with the help of the club footing the bill, thankfully). I ordered them last Autumn from Scottish Gourmet USA. They have an excellent USA-made Haggis.

Bobby Burns' birthday was my parents anniversary. We used to celebrate at a famous L.A. restaurant called the Tam O'Shanter. They put on a great evening there.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I was hoping to see some more interesting entries here. Anyone else have anything to share?

We have Burns night coming up on Wednesday. The group has grown in number and so we have more adventurous cooks to bring the victuals.

The Full Burns Night Table will be set with the traditional Chieftain of the Pudding Race (Haggis) piped in on the pipes. Other delectables for the supper table:
Soups (Cullen Skink and C-o-c-k-a-leekie)
Neeps
Tatties
Desserts (Cranachan, Shortbread and Tipsy Laird)
Oat cakes
Cheese Board
Whisky will flow of course with designated drivers having non-alcoholic beverages.

"Selkirk Grace" and "Address to a Haggis" will be recited at the beginning. Robbie Burns' poetry will be recited by the sober throughout the night. It all starts at 6 pm and usually ends a little after midnight.

I am supplying 3 Haggis (with the help of the club footing the bill, thankfully). I ordered them last Autumn from Scottish Gourmet USA. They have an excellent USA-made Haggis.

Magnus

dedmiston

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The bark is my favorite and this looks fantastic! Well done. Thanks for the website. I'm always looking for new ways to do old faves. The pellet grill can be quite good for hams and other sturdy meats.

Magnus

dedmiston
propchef wrote:
#drool I will snack on those little chicharron squares all day. Nice!

Ohmigosh - Those nubs of bark were spectacular. Guess who got first pick while he was shredding the pork? :C

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
#drool I will snack on those little chicharron squares all day. Nice!

dedmiston
propchef wrote:
Interesting word, "ham."

Dedmiston, is this a raw "ham" (rear leg of the pig) or a cured ham?

I've been slow to post the photos. We had lots of family in town to celebrate grandma's 85th birthday and I never had a minute to sit down at the keyboard.

The pulled smoked ham was a huge success and I'd definitely do it again. I wouldn't use the meat for tacos again though because the meat was too salty. And since I made my own rub, I would delete the salt from the rub altogether.

To answer some of your questions:

GRILL: I use a pellet grill for smoking (a.k.a "Easy-Bake Oven"). I absolutely love these things. I have my original smallish Traeger, a travel GMG for the RV, and my beloved GMG Jim Bowie Prime that my wife gave me for my birthday early on in the pandemic.

HAM: This was not gourmet whatsoever. It was in the discount section of our Ralphs (Kroger) market after the holidays. It was already cured and smoked ("Fully Cooked"). Their cure used a ton of salt unfortunately.

The meat was fantastic though and I'd definitely serve it with my wife's cheese potatoes (or as some of our Mormon friends recently told us they call them, "Funeral Potatoes").

The meat was very moist and the flavor from the seasonings mixed perfectly when I pulled the ham. I usually add a lot more rub to the meat when I pull a pork butt (the inside is usually pretty gamey), but the glaze from the bark mixed in just fine and the meat was plenty juicy.

I used Susie Bulloch's recipe for the ham. I like her sensibilities and her recipes usually turn out perfect: https://heygrillhey.com/smoked-pulled-ham/. The glaze was 50/50 BBQ sauce and apricot preserves, which sounded disgusting, but it worked great.

It took 9 1/2 hours from start to finish, not counting the rest and shredding the meat. I snapped some pics along the way.

I smoked it to 165ยฐ IT and then moved it to a foil pan and added the glaze and a cup of water to braise it. I took it off the grill at 207ยฐ and it was absolutely perfect for pulling. All of the fats and connective tissues were completely broken down and there was nothing tough inside. The fats and skin were easy to separate out and our dogs enjoyed the scraps. The finished meat fed seven of us for two meals, and then my wife and I killed the leftovers last night after we had the house to ourselves again.

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
I personally think the full Irish, has the full Scottish, beat, more flavor in my humble opinion Both are very good though, but did struggle with the blood pudding a bit in the full Irish