cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

There is no such thing as Italian food

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Italian food doesn't really exist at least not as a unified category..
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
34 REPLIES 34

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bumpyroad wrote:
yes, I have had some good steaks in Italy. (and the Italian section of Switzerland) but have also had to be somewhat selective in the restaurant chosen.
I have had some that obviously didn't finish in the money in the KY derby. ๐Ÿ˜‰
bumpy

Yeah, I know, why go to a nice chop house when the local Chinese place does beef & brocoli. :C

Exaggerated a bit but same principal. If you want a really good steak in the USA, you don't go to a place where steak isn't their thing. You may find the stray mom & pop place that does an awesome steak but that's the exception rather than the rule.

Same thing in Italy except you will tend to find, they are more traditional in that they typically won't serve food inconsistent with their restaurant type.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bumpyroad wrote:

yes, I have had some good steaks in Italy. (and the Italian section of Switzerland) but have also had to be somewhat selective in the restaurant chosen.
bumpy

Isn't that the truth anywhere you go? Randomly pick a dozen restaurants in a U.S. city and you will have some good/great meals and some that were less than appetizing.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
:B
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:

I assume they were not interested in a good steak. and much of the soup I had there was merely pasta and a slight bit of flavor of chicken.
bumpy

Clearly have never had a good Steak Florentine. Any Texan would walk away from the table happy.

bumpy

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, apparently I'm not allowed to post relevant content.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bumpyroad wrote:

I assume they were not interested in a good steak. and much of the soup I had there was merely pasta and a slight bit of flavor of chicken.
bumpy

Clearly have never had a good Steak Florentine. Any Texan would walk away from the table happy.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Hey, Bumpy! Have you ever had Italian Wedding Soup? I've made it several times and its very popular with our friends.

yes, and IIRC, it is made to my previous recipe. take water, 2 cubes of chicken bouillon , and a handful of pasta. ๐Ÿ™‚
reminds me of supper at a small mountain top restaurant, ordered my steak done very, very well (then it ends up sort of cooked medium) and got sneered at by the waiter. then he brought some ketchup to dump on it. I sneered back.
bumpy

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't try having that discussion with anyone from Italy or Sicily.
I spent 3 weeks over there and the food was great. In the North there is little tomato sauce, but it is all very familiar. The main difference is that they serve in courses, primera, segundo, etc. Portions are small. There are few fat Italians. Walking is part of their culture. I saw more fat people on the plane ride home (full of Americans) than in 3 weeks of traveling around the country.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Hey, Bumpy! Have you ever had Italian Wedding Soup? I've made it several times and its very popular with our friends.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
This thread is bogus......True Italian food exists.......I have had it.

thems fighting words.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Several groups in my bicycle club have done tours in Italy, and the opinion expressed, no matter the region toured, that you can't get a bad meal in Italy.

bumpy

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
This thread is bogus......True Italian food exists.......I have had it.

Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are many sub-generas of Italian food but it's silly to claim there is no Italian food.

Then again most people don't realize that the USA is an older country than Italy if you want to play at semantics but most sane people won't claim the history of the Italian peninsula is younger.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Several groups in my bicycle club have done tours in Italy, and the opinion expressed, no matter the region toured, that you can't get a bad meal in Italy.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

SARGUY
Explorer
Explorer
I would expect that rice was consumed world wide far more than pasta.