Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volcano Grill

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone have any experience with the Volcano Grill? clicky
Pretty interested in getting one, but a bit concerned about the price versus the capabilities. Don't want the 3 with the propane, just the 2 and maybe the cover/lid. (we are getting into dutch oven cooking). Warranty pretty good? Quality? Where's the best deal? Company says Good Sam carries them, but can't find any info on their site. What's the major flaws/downsides?

Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
18 REPLIES 18

gkas
Explorer
Explorer
The propane adapter is cheap at Walmart.
My photos: http://mikekazphotography.com/Gerry/GalleryIndex/index.html

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, it arrived today! Ya Ho!!! Haven't even unpacked it yet, headed right to the internet and recipes. And then to the weather forcast sites to search for warmer weather (than StL presently) and plot the outing. I know the grill can work at home, but that's not the purpose. Gotta be on the road.
Thanks again ya'all
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

xzyHollyxyz
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, wish someone was close to me - I'd sell mine - I can barely lift the darn thing to empty the charcoal dust!

Really a well built thing, that's for sure.
2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Guess that's two foot-itise as it's best.
Thanks again.

I've been suffering from that for years. I'm hoping that I'll soon be old enough that what I've got will be just right.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super Dave: thanks for the heads up. Don't know why I didn't think of that before. Just called Volcano and explained my error and what I wanted. The kind lady said she'd waive the shipping charges and mail it out to me separately as my order already shipped. Nice folks, but there again I went from a grill for under $100 to an order over $200. Guess that's two foot-itise as it's best.
Thanks again.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Ya'all did it! I ordered one yesterday. Got the package of propane, cover & cookbook, case, etc. But the one thing I forgot to double check is that it will take the small propane canister versus the 20lb tank or both. B's only got so much room! Guess I'll find out and if need be I'll make something work. But it should. Can't wait!!!
Thinking about heading out for a couple of weeks first of Dec and we'll put it to the test.

Thanks a bunch.

If your stuff arrives and you are in a bind with the hose connection, see valve adapter in link below.

Hose valve adapter
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ya'all did it! I ordered one yesterday. Got the package of propane, cover & cookbook, case, etc. But the one thing I forgot to double check is that it will take the small propane canister versus the 20lb tank or both. B's only got so much room! Guess I'll find out and if need be I'll make something work. But it should. Can't wait!!!
Thinking about heading out for a couple of weeks first of Dec and we'll put it to the test.

Thanks a bunch.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
gkas wrote:
Fantastic BBQ. I also use the propane to cook with the dutch oven. The kevlar cover is great for heating the entire oven. It also keeps the heat in to lower the fuel use. I make everything from bread to stews. A trivit in the bottom helps with baking the biscuits evenly.

Good info and I feel less anxious about the Kevlar tent top. Gonna see if I can find one at a local store since the 3 fuel version would be useful when fire bans are in place:).

gkas
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic BBQ. I also use the propane to cook with the dutch oven. The kevlar cover is great for heating the entire oven. It also keeps the heat in to lower the fuel use. I make everything from bread to stews. A trivit in the bottom helps with baking the biscuits evenly.
My photos: http://mikekazphotography.com/Gerry/GalleryIndex/index.html

swtgran
Explorer
Explorer
The propane accessory fits into the bag with the rest of the kit. No additional space needed. The packed foot print remains the same, with or without the propane attachment.

Folks have been known to set the grill up in the garages, with the propane, to do canning, keeping the heat outside. terry r.
Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well that's it! I NEED a volcano. But do I really need the 3 fuel system. We haven't used propane in years, but that's not all bad. Just can't see carrying additional supplies. (We're B campers and space is premo!) As long as the assembly/dis-assembly is painless and storage space is not large, there could be good sides to propane. The frying in a pan has the DW's interest peaked and the smoking adventure, mine.

Thanks! Now let's find a deal.

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Laman wrote:
I have had a Volcano for 3 years and will buy another when this one wears out. It gets almost daily use when camping and it is the 3 fuel model with the Kevlar cover. I love the folding aspect making it very easy to store and so it takes up little room. I have grilled, slow smoked, and cooked with a DO and used the propane to cooked skillet items outside or for a fast grilling when time is short.

Do you use the propane feature with the DO? If so is there a huge learning/adjusting heat curve? (I'm just beginning and don't need too many challenges to start with.) And when you don't use it is it hard to remove and convert back to charcoal? Does the cover work adequately when you slow smoke (my other joy to do)?

Thanks for the info.

I have not used the propane with the DO but it would probably work fine. It takes about 30 seconds to set up and take out the propane burner. The cover does a good job of holding in the heat/smoke but it is a small unit so it doesn't hold enough charcoal for a long smoke so you would probably have to add charcoal. I am going to buy the middle grill accessory then a small pizza stone to experiment with indirect cooking like I do on my Big Green Egg.
BTW as much as I like lump charcoal I believe that briquets work better in the Volcano. There are some very informative videos on youtube concerning the Volcano.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Laman wrote:
I have had a Volcano for 3 years and will buy another when this one wears out. It gets almost daily use when camping and it is the 3 fuel model with the Kevlar cover. I love the folding aspect making it very easy to store and so it takes up little room. I have grilled, slow smoked, and cooked with a DO and used the propane to cooked skillet items outside or for a fast grilling when time is short.

Do you use the propane feature with the DO? If so is there a huge learning/adjusting heat curve? (I'm just beginning and don't need too many challenges to start with.) And when you don't use it is it hard to remove and convert back to charcoal? Does the cover work adequately when you slow smoke (my other joy to do)?

Thanks for the info.

Rolling_Condo
Explorer
Explorer
Owned one for 4 years now. Bought it for use with my Dutch Ovens but like it for the great versatility with the added propane. Great for large power burner for large pots.
'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy