cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would like to find used cast iron implements. Where?

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I would like to venture to cast iron cooking but, I am to cheap to buy new stuff at $100 or near. Where do I look for bargains and how often do they appear?

ThANKS
31 REPLIES 31

Tom_Trostel
Explorer
Explorer
It will help your shopping to watch this linked video on unmarked cast iron.

link

agteacher
Explorer
Explorer
You're in Ohio. In the next month or so, auctions will be starting up and most home/ farm auctions will have cast iron. Watch your local newspaper or the local regional papers and look for cast iron and go to the auction. You will also start seeing swap meets or flea markets soon. They usually have cast iron. Any questions, PM me. I'm from Oho and have lived in most of the areas of the state at one time or another.
camping buddies - my husband,:R
American Eskimo - Baby
07 Lance 915
2015 Ram 3500 Lonestar Edition
01 International 4700 - SOLD
99 Dodge 3500 Quad Long Bed,Cummins,Rhino Liner
06 WW SLC 3505 - SOLD
48 Ford 8N was a rustbucket
52 Ford 8N w/ Sherman 54B HydroHoe

jungshin
Explorer
Explorer
look at harbor freight for a dutch oven around $30.00, make sure the lid fits tight QC not the best there

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I see them in antique/junk stores all the time.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
ppine wrote:
And some types of antique stores have lots of them. They cost a little more, but are usually in really good shape.

There is no doubt that the older iron implements were finished better.
You food won't care about the finish as long as you take care of all the rust.

I don't know if the older pieces were finished better but they sure were loved well:).
All my pieces are hand me downs with most of them being gifted to me by my Nana who received them from her mother as a wedding present and in turn was gifted them by HER mother.
I've no new pieces to compare.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
And some types of antique stores have lots of them. They cost a little more, but are usually in really good shape.

There is no doubt that the older iron implements were finished better.
You food won't care about the finish as long as you take care of all the rust.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
You usually don't have to look very hard or long to find used cast iron cookware.

Don't turn down something rusty (buy cheap), it can be easily restored.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Lodge has been making cast iron cookware for over 125 years. Don't hesitate in buying their stuff.
Now if want used, Wagner and Griswall will cost you more than a new Lodge.
Both are discontinued and bring premium prices.
I was lucky to inherit several Wagner pieces. My wife still uses them.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
If you can find a K-Mart near you, they have a set of 3 sizes of cast iron skillets for $20. 6.5", 8", and 10.5".

Essential Home 3 Piece Cast Iron Fry Pan Set
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
flea markets, garage sales, craigslist, ebay,

Little_Kopit
Explorer
Explorer
Most of what I have I got through Ebay, thus it is older. For example, Wagner is 1890 or before. Wagner-Ware, thus, after that date.

Get yourself into some source on the history of any brand you look at, then get yourself one item in the late 19th century or early 20th c., & you'll have something to compare to all you now shop for.

Also, get yourself an online friend, one who is not buying stuff from your geographic area, and talk cast iron. Said friend will help you learn how to evaluate what you see in person and what you might buy at a distance.

& the words I'd use for the local neighborhood family or community group offerings, is 'yard sales'.

Enjoy the search.

:C
& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
$100 up?? You are definitely shopping in the WRONG places! If you have to have new pieces, try Amazon. Cast iron never wears out, try salvage stores, goodwill, flea markets, yard sales.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yard Sales, Estate Sales, GoodWill.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think you have to spend $100 for a cast iron pot, pan, etc.
Lots of good stuff available to start out with for much less.......LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Surfecho
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a few cast iron skillets on ebay. I bought cast iron that was made before WWII as they are lighter and the quality is much better the the newer stuff.