cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

$4 Android smartphone !

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Not long ago, smartphones were universally expensive and not at all suitable for the developing world. What a difference a few years can make. A new smartphone has been announced in India, which is not unusual by itself. However, this Android phone will only cost INR 251. That works out to less than four bucks. Oh, youโ€™ll make some compromises to get a $4 smartphone, but it looks like a surprisingly capable device.

The appropriately named Freedom 251 has specs that place it well behind most of the budget offerings youโ€™d get from major OEMs like Samsung and Motorola, but not really terribly far behind. The screen is 4-inches and qHD (960ร—540) in resolution. Some people even prefer smaller devices like this. The front-facing camera is VGA resolution and the rear one is 3.2MP, a fraction of what you get with flagship phones.

Inside is 1GB of RAM, 8GB of storage, a 1,450mAh battery, and a 1.3GHz quad-core processor of unknown make. Considering the price, itโ€™s almost certainly a MediaTek chip. It also only supports 3G data. With just 8GB of storage, there wonโ€™t be much space left over when you get the phone in your hands, but thereโ€™s a microSD card slot that supports up to 32GB of additional space. The card will cost more than the entire phone, though.

This is an Android phone running 5.1 Lollipop with all the usual Google services. It also includes a few more bundled apps that entry level buyers in India might find useful. Even if itโ€™s not the fastest phone out there, having access to the software selection in the Play Store could totally change someoneโ€™s life if theyโ€™re coming from a dumb phone and have no other computing devices.

http://www.extremetech.com/mobile/223168-freedom-251-is-an-android-smartphone-that-costs-less-than-4

video

I wonder when Walmart will get this ?
3 REPLIES 3

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Very interesting but doubtful this phone would ever be available for sale in the US, especially at the $4 price.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
My wife bought a Mini droid Motorola at Verizon this winter for $108.00 but it came to $8.43 after the deal she was offered. No contract but it is a great smart phone.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Gene_Ginny