cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Hopper question

Tomboy2
Explorer
Explorer
I am a snowbird that currently has a VIP222 Dish receiver. While traveling I connect "antenna one" to my crank-up Winegard dish ( I am aware of the limitations of this set-up). When parked for the season I use a Dish1000 on a tripod. I connect TV1 via HMDI and TV2 via AV cable (the red, white, yellow).

Can I connect a Hopper to my crank-up when traveling? and can I independently view two different channels when parked (as I do now with the VIP222) via HDMI and AV cable?
'08 Bounder
'04 Cavalier
'08 Trailblazer
5 REPLIES 5

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tomboy2 wrote:
Dutch, will the Hopper work as a single tuner receiver with the legacy LNB while traveling? My 222 is limited to only one sat with the roof top crank-up dish, and this is fine for overnight or two day stops. When parked for the season and connected to a Dish1000 on the tripod will it function as the multi-channel DVR that it is supposed to be(although with only mirroring capabilities to TV2)?

My crank-up rooftop dish works fine with my VIP211k, but not with my Hopper 2 so far. I use a tripod mounted 1000.4 with interchangeable eastern and western arc LNBF's for both receivers most of the time. Sometime I'm going to try connecting just one of my DPP LNBF's without aiming it, and connecting the rooftop dish to the port 4 input as if it was a wing dish. I don't know if that will work without it seeing any other sats though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Tomboy2 wrote:
When parked for the season and connected to a Dish1000 on the tripod will it (Hopper 1 or 2) function as the multi-channel DVR that it is supposed to be?

Yes, and you can also hook up your VIP222 receiver:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Tomboy2
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch, will the Hopper work as a single tuner receiver with the legacy LNB while traveling? My 222 is limited to only one sat with the roof top crank-up dish, and this is fine for overnight or two day stops. When parked for the season and connected to a Dish1000 on the tripod will it function as the multi-channel DVR that it is supposed to be(although with only mirroring capabilities to TV2)?
'08 Bounder
'04 Cavalier
'08 Trailblazer

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Hopper will not work as intended with your single LNB crank up dish. The Hopper requires a DPP double or triple LNBF or switch to feed the three tuners in a Hopper 1 or 2, and a hybrid LNBF to feed the 16 tuners in a Hopper 3. As said, you'll need a Joey to feed the second TV with different channels, although the Hopper can be set up to mirror the primary TV. The Hopper 3 hybrid LNBF fits the 1000.2 dish, and can be fitted to a Winegard Trav'ler automatic roof dish (WA only) with just a bit of fiddling to make it work. It can also be fitted to a 1000.4 dish with a bit of mechanical fiddling.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Could well be wrong (wouldn't be the first time) but I believe the hopper serves the primary TV and you have to have a Joey for each additional TV.