cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Spyware, Malware Recommendation

mikeleblanc413
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the FREE AVG for several years. Wondering if there is a better FREE product out there.

I am using Windows 8. THANKS!
Mike LeBlanc
The Piney Woods Of East Texas
Lufkin, Texas
49 REPLIES 49

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Best malware detecting software is Clamwin and it is free. It will not however remove the worms and spyware but it will provide enough information to do it yourself. Another free program is Commodo which is not bad.

I also use Bitdefender and Spyhunter which are not free but they miss malware that Clamwin finds.

Best way to get a solid computer environment and not spend hundreds of dollars is to buy a computer that runs the Mac operating system. 99% of my time is spent on our computers running on the Microsoft operating systems and that has been the case for the past 28 years where I have been using both, and nothing has changed in all that time.

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne Dohnal wrote:

You are aware that Malwarebytes is not Anti-Virus Software. It was never designed to scan for a virus.
To be honest, I've not paid attention to the definitions. I've paid attention to what works. My point seems to have been lost in the definitions, so to restate my point:

Not running in Administrator Mode, even with no antivirus software, is much more effective at preventing viruses than running in Administrator Mode with antivirus software. IMO, running in User Mode is the single most effective protection against viruses in Windows systems.

The only data backing this up is several years experience on 5 machines, 2 of my own and 3 of friends. Since cutting off Administrator Mode a couple of years ago, there have been no detected viruses on any of the machines. 2 of them run antivirus software, 3 don't.

Regarding Malwarebytes, I've dealt with a number of viruses that were undetected by the antivirus software but detected by Malwarebytes. Malewarebytes was not able to remove some of them. I've not seen a single virus that the antivirus software caught but Malewarebytes didn't. Nothing scientific, one user's experience.

I use a limited Admin account on both my systems and use a layered approach to protecting my data. I have never been infected on any of my systems since I started using the Internet in 1999. I think that the best protection of data on any system is an educated user.

However, with an average of 82,000 threats identified per day in 2013 I want more then just running Malwarebytes from time to time protecting me.

You can't argue with success and to each their own. I hope you continue to stay virus and malware free.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
Free ZoneAlarm found two viruses on my laptop on it's first scan that Malwarebytes never found over several years of use.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer

You are aware that Malwarebytes is not Anti-Virus Software. It was never designed to scan for a virus.
To be honest, I've not paid attention to the definitions. I've paid attention to what works. My point seems to have been lost in the definitions, so to restate my point:

Not running in Administrator Mode, even with no antivirus software, is much more effective at preventing viruses than running in Administrator Mode with antivirus software. IMO, running in User Mode is the single most effective protection against viruses in Windows systems.

The only data backing this up is several years experience on 5 machines, 2 of my own and 3 of friends. Since cutting off Administrator Mode a couple of years ago, there have been no detected viruses on any of the machines. 2 of them run antivirus software, 3 don't.

Regarding Malwarebytes, I've dealt with a number of viruses that were undetected by the antivirus software but detected by Malwarebytes. Malewarebytes was not able to remove some of them. I've not seen a single virus that the antivirus software caught but Malewarebytes didn't. Nothing scientific, one user's experience.
2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using Zone Alarm Free firewall/antivirus in my older XP laptop. My Windows 8.1 laptop is running Norton suite (paid). I'm happy with both.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

The FREE version of Malwarebytes is an on-demand scanner. More as a tool for removing Malware which already infects a system. The paid version comes with real-time scanning which attempts to block these form infecting a system in the first place.

More AV is switching their core protection over to using a combination of zero-day behavior detection, and cloud based reporting of exploits to reduce the response time over traditional signature based, which tends to go through a slower reporting process and confirmation before inclusion into the database.

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
Here's a good article on the subject of viruses, malware, etc. It contradicts some experiences I have had, but it has a very good definition of all the terms involved.

PC Magazine: "Viruses, Spyware, and Malware: What's the Difference?"

Good article for definitions for sure.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a good article on the subject of viruses, malware, etc. It contradicts some experiences I have had, but it has a very good definition of all the terms involved.

PC Magazine: "Viruses, Spyware, and Malware: What's the Difference?"
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
SCR, After reading the article twice, I am still hearing that anti-malware software can do everything an anti virus program can, and also, everything that the AV misses.

AsheGuy, the virus/malware picture was helpful.

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
burlmart wrote:
SCR wrote:
Wayne Dohnal wrote:
In 2 years of running no antivirus software and not running in Administrator mode, I've had zero viruses as measured by occasional running of Malwarebytes.

Prior to that, running in Administrator mode with antivirus software I had a virus get past it about every 2 months.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild".....

Source: Malwarebytes Support

I am confused. How does a daily updated AV scanner (MSE, AVG, BitDefender) not get zero day malware before a manual once-a-week scan w/ Malwarebytes?

Perhaps the following will help explain the difference:
Malware Remover vs. Antivirus Software: What's the Difference?

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
burlmart wrote:

I am confused. How does a daily updated AV scanner (MSE, AVG, BitDefender) not get zero day malware before a manual once-a-week scan w/ Malwarebytes?
Because anti-virus programs so not look for malware. One would think since malware can be very annoying, that they might.

Malware is for the most part trying to get in your face to sell you something or to track your Internet use to sell your information to someone that wants to sell you something.

Viruses try to do devious things like taking over your system to be used for their purposes or to corrupt your system so it will not run.

That is my understanding and experience. I have removed many of both types from friend's and client's systems.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
SCR wrote:
Wayne Dohnal wrote:
In 2 years of running no antivirus software and not running in Administrator mode, I've had zero viruses as measured by occasional running of Malwarebytes.

Prior to that, running in Administrator mode with antivirus software I had a virus get past it about every 2 months.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild".....

SCR
Explorer
Explorer
Wayne Dohnal wrote:

Wayne_Dohnal
Explorer
Explorer

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator