cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Box of many buttons (bomb)

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a better replacement for the old bomb or there a better wiring configuration to remove the bomb?

Or, can Ethernet or hdmi cables replace the coax?

Doug
10 REPLIES 10

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Still need to hear what the OP is hoping to do and what services he wants to use.

CA Traveler wrote:
Not sure 5G is the answer. My understanding is short range and hence more transmitters doesn't sound like it will be in many CGs for awhile.

5G low-band (600-700MHz) tower can cover hundreds of miles with speeds from 30-250 Mbps.

I have a T-Mobile 5G mid-band (3.5-3.7GHz) internet connection which has a range of several miles, and speeds up to 800 Mbps. Close to the max. speed I've experienced about 2-miles from tower.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
I have no idea what a "box of many buttons" is or what it does !

I too was in the dark, I'd never heard of this.

Seems it's a RV term for a video distribution switch, the only references I found for it online were in other RV forums:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/box-with-many-buttons-360849.html

Mel_Stuplich
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:

theoldwizard1
This is a BOMB,(aka:"box of many buttons"):
https://www.amazon.com/Magnadyne-VCS-10-Switching-antenna-satellite/dp/B00SWGSESO/ref=asc_df_B00SWGSESO/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=194024095585&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=14571877448963429381&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9019129&hvtargid=pla-307377446536&psc=1

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure 5G is the answer. My understanding is short range and hence more transmitters doesn't sound like it will be in many CGs for awhile. HD video requires a lot of data unlike video for a phone. And cost?

We cut the house cords, use cell phones, hot spot and DTV. Easy to move the DTV receiver from house to MH along with it's recordings.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bennefim
Explorer
Explorer
Ca traveler, I agree tv is moving more and more to wireless or streaming. If we had good WiFiโ€™s at all locations, that would be the fix. Of course we donโ€™t. Maybe cell companies will make 5g internet more readily available via phones or hotspot devices.
Until then...............

Doug

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
You need to maintain the coax connections to provide OTA TV reception as well as most campground Cable connections. So the question becomes what else do you want to do? Satellite TV? Fire TV? Other connections?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are various options like HDMI over coax. The trend for TVs seems to be more input connectors and just eliminate most cables with wireless. Like cell phones hot spots. Sat dish works accross the country.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are alternatives that work with Ethernet or HDMI But alas you also need the ability to switch coax around from either the park cable or over the air antenna
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times