Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
Great Topic, I use verizonwireless mobile office kit and it works exactly as you describe. Ito also allows me to download email, but I cant seem to send it. Any thoughts? The settings appear the same as receive. You seem very knowledgable, so any tips would be apprecited.

Thanks
CP

You can get a free SMTP server installed on your laptop. go to this link and down load it and install it the configure your email accordingly. http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

Beacher
Explorer
Explorer
Another option is INFRARED. If your Cell Phone and Notebook computer have IRDA compatible infrared, your cell phone can probably be used as a modem.

It's also handy for transfering address, telephone, and pictures to the notebook, and an infrared capable PDA.

My SONY Ericsson phone and my IBM Thinkpad talk nicely. I used my phone as an internet modem, and also for sending and recieving detailed text messages "typed" on the PDA.

EXCEL
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased the Verizon Mobile Office Kit ($40)for my LG phone through Verizon with the understanding that it would work with my phone. Store clerk said if I used it after 9 PM and before 6 AM or on weekends when access was free, that I could save my regular minutes. I thought that was a pretty good deal & know of others who have that access on their phones. After coming home & trying to download the software & having a problem (I am not a newbie on the computer), I called Verizon. I was told that the only way I could get internet access through my phone with the Mobile Office Kit would be to buy an additional plan for approx. $45 to $50 additional per month. She said that Verizon was now charging by the kb's used and not by minutes used when accessing the web. I told her I knew Friends who were able to access the web through their Verizon phones & plans (minutes) and she said that was going to stop in the very near future as Verizon is providing cell phone service & not web service. So if you want to access the web...Verizon will offer you that service but only through a different plan (obviously more expensive). As I only want web access when I'm on the road and I'm not traveling constantly....I simply took the Mobile Office Kit back and got a refund of my $40.00. I think it's a big scam & am very frustrated...but as Verizon has the best coverage & as I'm in a contract anyway...and as I can't afford another $45 to $50 per mo. added to my present cell phone bill...I have no options....

B_H
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not a techie so I just wanted something that worked as we took a 12000 mile trip this summer. I called a lot of companies including my own and they told me I needed a year or two year contract for a data plan. Then I walked into a cingular store that told me that since I had their service already I could add the data plan on month to month. I bought the dongle to connect my cellphone to my laptop, and the CMDA network worked great. Often 115 kbs which is not bad. Usally worked fine even in places where the voice signal was poor. THe other option cingular has is the more expensive really hi-speed EDGE network (with a $300 card)but it is not as extensive as the CMDA one and you would need the year or two contract to get the card! But the CMDA option was not only fine for email but even surfing the web!
Bill & Holly, Will (14), Hannah (11), Sarah (9) Katherine (7)
& Gabriel the travelin' Golden!
'06 Jayflight 31BHS
'01 Yukon XL 8.1 & 3.73
Prodigy, Reese Strait-Line
Honda 2000i

annaandgregg
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are ready to hit the road. THIS IS ALL NEW TO US! We have just purchased an IBm Thinkpad, and are trying to figure out the best way for us to connect to the internet. We do have a Verizon Cell phone...I called VErizon and they say that with my Motorola V60 Cell phone, the only service availabe to us is the $79.99 a month plan. I do not wish to dish out that much for occassional use of our laptop. I have been reading the posts, and I am totally confused. Can anyone help these NEWBIES? I don't know what to do! Thanks!!! (annasmtnmail@charter.net)

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
Justme,
What and where do you download the email server to your laptop. I have been using webmail and I ghet 115,200 through my LG phone, which is what I wrtie this on in Drummerboy CG. There does not seem to be a wifi signal in the new section.

Thanks

John

You can get a free email server at http://www.softstack.com/freesmtp.html

it is very basic but does the job. Remember to turn compression off in Ventrui. There are more sophisticated server out there but they cost between $30 and up.

I went with verizon National Access because it is the best for my needs and the WIFI boogy in the Campgrounds never really worked for me because I was always put to far away from their antenae and Verizion seems to be the best for remote areas away from the freeways and also has the best coverage in the USA.

Rickit
Explorer
Explorer
Sprint charges an additional $10/mo for unlimited internet acccess from my old N400 Samsung phone. Along with snap dialer software, it's very easy to use and works well for me and $10/mo you can't really beat it.
2001 3500 Chevy
1999 Avion Savanah triple slide
Why did I ever wait to full time for so long?

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Justme,
What and where do you download the email server to your laptop. I have been using webmail and I ghet 115,200 through my LG phone, which is what I wrtie this on in Drummerboy CG. There does not seem to be a wifi signal in the new section.

Thanks

John
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
Great Topic, I use verizonwireless mobile office kit and it works exactly as you describe. Ito also allows me to download email, but I cant seem to send it. Any thoughts? The settings appear the same as receive. You seem very knowledgable, so any tips would be apprecited.

Thanks
CP

you can down load a free email server that runs on your laptop and allows you to send email by setting your email program like Outlook for localhost or 127.0.0,1 in its smtp send settings. I use the Verizon national access and and the mail server on the laptop works great without logging into my ISP. However I have to turn off Venturis compression when sending email because it trips up the RCP negotiation on the receiving email server sometimes.

cvrvr
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon NationWide wireless service and a trimode phone. I purchased a $15 USB cable on EBay. The cable came with a driver disk. That is the only software needed. The cellphone acts as the modem.

Yesterday I tried my home landline on my laptop, got about 34Kbps. Then I hooked up my cellphone and called the same dialup number, got about 115Kbs. Sure is a lot slower than my DSL connection is but good enough when on the road.

George
George & Karen W
2004 Allegro 30DA
2000 Jimmy toad
FMCA F334632

willienhannacam
Explorer
Explorer
I see a lot of mention of bluetooth connection. do you pay more than just to buy the cable? do you have to have a special plan with the ISP or the cell phone????
Yolanda, Steve, & 2 Boston's:R

JAMAR
Explorer
Explorer
Great information. Many thanks.... I only wish I could understand it all.....:(
use CB# 13 when in your RV. ๐Ÿ™‚

Marinermark
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using the Susteen Data Pilot software and USB cable through Motorola V180 for 6 weeks with the Cingular 3.99/mo data plan. So far no additional charges for data services - just minutes used. With 5000 minutes after 9PM and on weekends that's no problem. I'm sending this from a campground near Albany, NH. It's not fast, but works OK most of the time. I'm going to change plans to travel in Canada for about a month. I hope that doesn't foul up my Internet access there or when I return to my present plan as I reenter U.S. mid - August.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased an antennae and power booster from alternativewireless.com and all I can say is I CAN HEAR YOU NOW!!!!! It is truelly amazing, living in an area with some hills and dead zone, where I have had total signal loss, I now have full bars. Yes it costs a few bucks, but I use the phone all day for business and when I travel to remote locations, this will cure the signal loss, when rving. For the TV I am using a maganetic mount this way I can switch cars with my beautiful wife, but for the TT, I mounted a Wilson Trucker up on the batwing. I needed the trucker as the roof is rubber and offered no ground plane. This way when I set up, crank up the batwing and full bars it is. Once less thing to be frustrated about when traveling.

Happy Trails.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

04admiral
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good, but that is a fair amount of sheckles per month. Think I'll wait till it and fuel comes down a bunch in as much as I am spending more sheckles for home broadband, cable TV ....so on and so forth.