Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

astalavistababy
Explorer
Explorer
try T-mobile, choose any calling plan to your liking and needs and then add the data packet for $ 19.95, gives you unlimited access and unlimited downloads, connect to your PC via USB cable or wireless.

MrWizard wrote:
phitur wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, Mr Wizard. I have had the mobile web for some time now and I cannot connect any longer. Is there still a way without having to pay the $59?

please clarify.

when i say 'mobile web' I am talking about the $15 add-on feature to the phones account, having this feature has allowed me to keep connected to the web, without paying the $59 data charge or paying by the megabyte

DO you have the $15 Vcast /mobile feature on your account ?

connecting the PC to the phone is NOT called 'mobile web' ( yes we are mobile in the RV ) but it is called 'tethering' the PC

IF you like many others do not pay $15 extra per month, you are using the 1x backdoor with minutes of use ( I used to do the same thing ), that is NOT the 'mobile web' feature which is designed for 'phone use' NOT PC tethering,

but i have the 'vcast/mobile web' $15 added to my account, and IT does allow me to connect the PC and fly under verizon radar ( until such time that they ALSO plug that hole ), so presently I pay $15 more a month NOT $59 more..so i can use the web

do not mention 'mobile web' $15 an PC to the verizon rep

just call up and add it to your account, or NOT, but do NOT talk to them about it.

MrWizard
from a post in the phone forum, from somebody, talking to vzw CS about this LOST DUN connection

verizon CS wrote:
Until recently, the only procedure in place to stop customers from using their handsets as modems to provide access to National or BroadbandAccess was by conducting audits of data used by our customers and disabling National/BroadbandAccess on high use accounts that were using these services without a data plan. The consequence is that these accounts could no longer access services such as Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast.

Verizon Wireless has found a solution to this issue and has now implemented it on our network and within our newer handsets. Our newest handsets now support the ability to allow the network to detect the initializing source of the data connection. This means that our network can now detect if the data connection is being initiated by the handset (Get It Now, Mobile Web, or VCast) or by a computer (Mobile Office kit or Dial-Up Networking). The network will allow handset-initiated connections to function normally and will block computer-initiated connections for accounts that are not provisioned with a data plan.

from here
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?p=10919843

I believe part of this is the EVDO ID in the phone cellnumber@dun.vzw3g.com

and part of it , is system software, that says this is a data call, and this account has NO data provision

they are closing the 1x minutes, backdoor, slower and later than i was informed last year, but verizon is closing it.

how long, the $15 mobileweb vcast. 'sneak in' will keep working, i don't know
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
phitur wrote:
Thanks for the heads up, Mr Wizard. I have had the mobile web for some time now and I cannot connect any longer. Is there still a way without having to pay the $59?

please clarify.

when i say 'mobile web' I am talking about the $15 add-on feature to the phones account, having this feature has allowed me to keep connected to the web, without paying the $59 data charge or paying by the megabyte

DO you have the $15 Vcast /mobile feature on your account ?

connecting the PC to the phone is NOT called 'mobile web' ( yes we are mobile in the RV ) but it is called 'tethering' the PC

IF you like many others do not pay $15 extra per month, you are using the 1x backdoor with minutes of use ( I used to do the same thing ), that is NOT the 'mobile web' feature which is designed for 'phone use' NOT PC tethering,

but i have the 'vcast/mobile web' $15 added to my account, and IT does allow me to connect the PC and fly under verizon radar ( until such time that they ALSO plug that hole ), so presently I pay $15 more a month NOT $59 more..so i can use the web

do not mention 'mobile web' $15 an PC to the verizon rep

just call up and add it to your account, or NOT, but do NOT talk to them about it.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Anthony21403
Explorer
Explorer
I know that a lot of people use the AirCards for their internet, but for my own use, paying $10 a month extra to Alltel for unlimited tethering is a lot better deal.
MSG Tony, USAF, 20+ years
Back from my 6 month "Summer in the Sand" Vacation

phitur
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
to aztortuga

make sure, you have put the phone in 1x mode, the 8300 is 1x & evdo, it will default to evdo unless you turn evdo OFF by placing it in 1x mode, the spot to do that is in the service menu, just follow the instructons from the setup post, yes the phone uses the DUN.vzw3g.com when making an evdo connection, BUT AFAIK not when making a 1x connection, to change/remove the DUN from the ID in the phone requires some special software

the process requires saving a file called NV.data onto the PC editing that file with a HEX editing program, then overwriting that file on phone, with the new edited version,

if you wish to try this, i can find the links to the web pages that will give you the info,

I do these things, but be aware, you can make your phone a brick, if you do the wrong things with this kind of software, and yes i have 'BRICKED' a phone in the past, you do not learn this stuff with out occasionally making a mistake

to phitur,
this is what my post on the previous page is referring too, it seems VZW is finally in the process of doing 'what i was told months ago', its seems spotty, and not all over, its a software change to the system

the only work around i'm aware of is to purchase the $15 mobile web, and continue to use the backdoor, the 'mobile web' option is for 'phone browser' access to WAP ( Wireless Access Protocol ) but so far it has allowed the phone to tether to the PC, and give an internet connection.

NEVER mention PC data connecting, too CS unless you want to talk about the $59 data plan, Verzion stopped promoting DUN on 1x when they introduced the AMC plans with free nights & weekends, they 'sold' people on the idea when you paid for all your minutes, when there was NO free minutes, but stopped when they changed promotions

now they are implementing the shut down ( trying to close the backdoor )

I had to change Plans when i got the new Voyager phone in Dec, so i have been using this ( the $15 mobile web/vcast/vpak ), instead of the $59 data plan

do not mention data & PC to CS, just ask about the mobile web for the Phone

say you want to check the weather, email and sports scores on the phone, say you don't know much about it, but have friends or grand children that do it
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

phitur
Explorer
Explorer
I got a message on Saturday about the 1x backdoor that said that I did not have authorization to access that feature. I just spoke to Verizon and they said that they deactivated that feature over the weekend. The gal said that I would nee to pay them $60/month for the broadband access (that's not gonna happen). I know there are other carriers that allow similar access on their networks without having to spend an excessive amount of money. I'll be looking into them. Let me know if anyone figures out how to get around this.

aztortuga
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Wizzard, the last few years have had a lg4400 running with the laptop through a usb cable. I bought a replacement lg8300 and a new cable. I can get the 8300 to connect but I am disconnected after a few seconds saying could not verify password. It is a version 4 software I have gone back and looked at all of the protocals listed in your instructions and other but still no dice. I seem to have read that the phone software will automatically use the dun in the access address--i e phonenumber@dunvzw.com-----------------Is this correct and if so how do I get the "dun" out this address? I am assuming that this is the cause of my failure to stay connected to the verizon 1x system. Any help appreciated. Thanks JIm

MrWizard
thanks, its only a few people, but for them it has been out several days

terra haute In, roanoak Va, jersy, there are 9 more with NO location posted, saying their 1x service has stopped

the message
"This device is currently not authorized to access Dial-Up Networking services, please contact your wireless service provider for more details.

I too am using 1x, but since i had to switch to the NEW NW plan with my new Voyager phone in NOV, i have the $15 vpak, and it uses data not minutes, all data is tracked, in the past 10 days I have 430 meg of data most while tethered and some while using just the phones browser, mainly for the weather report or conditions, when i don't feel like turning on the PC.
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm on the AMC1 plan and able to use the phone tethered to the computer. Minutes used only. On the phone bill it shows as data/promo allowed. I used it last night with no problems.

Joe
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

MrWizard
some members of my cell phone forum "howardforums" have
reported scattered outages of the 1x backdoor, and of it NO longer working, this is of the totally free 1x backdoor using minutes, NOT the 1x with the $15 vpak/vcast

has anybody here on RV.net whose is using minutes and the 1x backdoor had the connection fail

a message appears saying that DUN ( Dial Up Networking ) is not supported on this account and to contact verizon to activate the feature / use of data
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Greatgrandmabea wrote:
I've noticed that these suggestions were done 3 and 4 years ago. All you have to do now is get a DATA card for your cell phone carrier, plug it into the portal on your computer, click and your connected to the internet. Unlimited usage will run about $39 to $69 per month. GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

Read from the other end of the thread and you will see that not all of the suggestions are 3 to 4 years old.

Many of us do use air cards for Internet connections. But this thread is about using the cell phone for the connection. Many members still can do that. Some plans are perfect for RVers.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Greatgrandmabea
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that these suggestions were done 3 and 4 years ago. All you have to do now is get a DATA card for your cell phone carrier, plug it into the portal on your computer, click and your connected to the internet. Unlimited usage will run about $39 to $69 per month. GOOD LUCK OUT THERE

MrWizard
if the last time you made any changes was before NOV-07 and have nation wide calling 'national access' then you have an AMCII plan

and can use the 1x backdoor using minutes, just find somebody that can help with the razor setup

the PC setup and dialing is the same for ALL verizon phones using 1x and DUN ( Dial Up Networking )

all the info for cable setuo is in this thread, BT well thats different, some find it easier, i find it to be a PITA
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm - guess i gotta check w/ Verizon - last time I upgraded the plan was before 11/07, but don't know what they call it - it is a nation-wide calling, but gotta check on specifics. so if it is the newer NW, I just need to add a $15/mo fee, huh? Will check it out - thanks again! ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's