Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

MrWizard
yep, the BB web & email plan is $29.95, tethering for the PC another $30
and AFAIK..the BB can NOT be hacked to get by without the extra charge

of course you can add & remove the $30 tethering when NOT traveling

but the other data charge is a fixed requirement with BB's

all BB's must have a data feature on the account
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

TriumphGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Just want to do a double check here - we've got LG (8300 I think) phones and have done the 1X backdoor from time to time. We have a family share america's choice plan.

Looked over the last few pages - in summary, it looks like Verizon is shutting off the backdoor?

I am considering a BB for myself and going to NW plan - but then it's $30/mo to tether, on top of the data plan I would be paying for to use the BB?

*sigh* I knew it was coming...
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA (Mack); 2015 VW GTI (Lightning - toad); 2008 Acura MDX SH-AWD (Sally).
Any opinions are my own and not my employer's.
Missing the towing days: 2000 Ford F250 (Trusty Horse)
Follow us (BusyDadRVLife) on YouTube

folkie
Explorer
Explorer
No offence taken, your not throwing mud at me, you have found something that meets your needs and you are very happy with it, congratulations. BTW thanks for sharing your excitement with us, you are the reason I started researching this technology to see if I could achieve similar results more avoidably.

I do like the sound of what you have there and the multi computer capability is ideal, but! It's just the price that is not palatable for my Scottish sensibility (or lack of.) You see (to give you the whole picture) we are newbies and still shopping around for our first Class A, our plan is to narrow our search down to that (ideal) used MH and make our purchase within the next couple of months. We also have to keep in mind that we will need a Car Dolly, Electric brake control installed, Insurance and probably tons of other things I am overlooking. Tightly controlling our budget is an absolute necessity, hence my needs are very different from yours.

I found the zBoost YX230 signal booster @ $260 answered our Cellular and Wireless needs as well as our budgetary needs, I do have to clarify the kit comes complete and ready to go with Antenna, amplifier wires and 12 volt lighter plug at that price. The zBoost also creates your own hot spot.
My $400 figure was achieved because I'm going to swap out the antenna for a HIGH gain Wilson truckers antenna @ $90. Plus shipping and so on.

There are probably dozens if not more ways folks can achieve the same results and the prices will be right accross the board all the way up to high end Satellite Internet connection. Not everyone has the same needs, expectation or means. Like you oregonrv2007 I did not intend to challenge, disagree or offend, My intent was to show the good folks who follow these forum threads that there are cheaper options available all the way down to a Wilson dash mount amplifier priced at $99.95.

I have no doubt that once we settle into our full time RV life I will be adding a MAC AIRPORT to the mix creating a multi computer capable network. with Broadband Aircard plugged into the Airport I look forward to the day that we also have the 2 laptop convenince you enjoy today oregonrv2007.

oregonrv2007
Explorer
Explorer
folkie wrote:
Remeber this?

MrWizard wrote:
oregonrv2007 wrote:
To folkie:

Actually, I priced out the kit, and it is all very fair...

Router is normally $250 to $300
Amp is normally $300
Antenna is at least $100
The kit also comes with both wall and auto chargers (if you get the pieces individually, they only come with wall chargers) so I figured that must be worth another $50
The kit also comes with extra cabling $20
And a 3-way mount $20

That figures to be $790...oh...now let's factor in shipping for each item separately...wich would be from $70 to $100...so again, having it all in one kit is nice.

So I figure when I added it all up, it seems pretty darn fair what they charged. Also, you can't beat the simplicity of the kit. They made it very easy for me (all the instructions you need are on the inside label of the box...no configuring required, just plug it in)...at the same time, they saved me a lot of $$$$ in time researching this, as they have done it all for me.

I will let you know how it goes!

absolutely correct on equipment costs

folkie was way under estimating the cost of amp & router

a pkg deal on the equiment and you use your own cell carrier and account, good deal

If the above is just a bit to expensive for you, as it was for me. you may want to check out the zBoost YX230 signal booster @ $260. This single package extends or repeats an 800Mhz & 1900Mhz Cell Zone for multiple users inside vehicles. The YX230 captures the signal outside of the vehicle and amplifies up to a 43dB gain inside for a better signal. There is nothing attached to the phone.
http://www.wi-ex.com/Page3431.aspx

I am also giving some thought to replacing the small antenna with the Wilson high gain 10-15dB truckers antenna @ $89.95 so I am looking at a complete package under $400.
http://www.yagiantenna.com/pcsantennahtml.html

Also some of you may want to check out Wilson's dash or window mount Antenna offering 10-15dB gain, they claim 300% improvement. oh yea the price........$99.95.
http://www.yagiantenna.com/homelink.html

Has anyone else noticed the Google banner ads, they are focused on the content of this thread? follow them for other affordable options.

Folkie...again, I appreciate the info! However, just to clarify, this kit that you are talking about is nothing like the kit I purchased. I just want to make sure this is an "apples to apples" comparison, for the sake of the company that I purchased through. The kit that you are talking about purchasing will only amplify and expand cellular voice and data card usage.

For our purposes, we have more than one laptop in our RV. We wanted to be able to have both laptops browsing the web at the same time. However, we didn't want to have to pay for two data cards through Sprint, Verizon, etc. So...we found WiFi In Motion, and it answered our prayers! The kit we have uses a high-gain antenna and an amplifier (just like this thing you found for $400)...however, for web browsing on multiple devices, the key piece of that equation is missing...the router...which comes with the WiFi In Motion kit. And again, the $400 kit doesn't come with any accessories, so if you want to move the kit from inside the RV to inside your home when no longer on the road...the WIM kit allows that.

I just wanted to clarify so the message doesn't get muddied. The kit you found for $400 only enhances your ability to use your cell phone or a single data card, or two, etc. While it seems more affordable, the antenna that comes with the $400 kit is far less effective (bben there done that), and you would end up wanting to replace the antenna after a couple of weeks any ways...which then takes your $400 kit to a $400 + kit to add an antenna. Oh...then if you want 100 and 12v power options...add in some more cash.

Please don't take this email as me throwing mud at ya...I simply want to make sure we don't confuse the message for tyhose that read this...bottom line...

Your $400 kit that you're looking at: enhances and expands cellular coverage.

The kit we purchased from WiFi In Motion: enhances and expands cellular coverage AND creates a secure wi-fi network (basically converts your RV into a big hotspot).

Please let me know if you have any questions...and hopefully this clears things up! Regards!

folkie
Explorer
Explorer
Remeber this?

MrWizard wrote:
oregonrv2007 wrote:
To folkie:

Actually, I priced out the kit, and it is all very fair...

Router is normally $250 to $300
Amp is normally $300
Antenna is at least $100
The kit also comes with both wall and auto chargers (if you get the pieces individually, they only come with wall chargers) so I figured that must be worth another $50
The kit also comes with extra cabling $20
And a 3-way mount $20

That figures to be $790...oh...now let's factor in shipping for each item separately...wich would be from $70 to $100...so again, having it all in one kit is nice.

So I figure when I added it all up, it seems pretty darn fair what they charged. Also, you can't beat the simplicity of the kit. They made it very easy for me (all the instructions you need are on the inside label of the box...no configuring required, just plug it in)...at the same time, they saved me a lot of $$$$ in time researching this, as they have done it all for me.

I will let you know how it goes!

absolutely correct on equipment costs

folkie was way under estimating the cost of amp & router

a pkg deal on the equiment and you use your own cell carrier and account, good deal

If the above is just a bit to expensive for you, as it was for me. you may want to check out the zBoost YX230 signal booster @ $260. This single package extends or repeats an 800Mhz & 1900Mhz Cell Zone for multiple users inside vehicles. The YX230 captures the signal outside of the vehicle and amplifies up to a 43dB gain inside for a better signal. There is nothing attached to the phone.
http://www.wi-ex.com/Page3431.aspx

I am also giving some thought to replacing the small antenna with the Wilson high gain 10-15dB truckers antenna @ $89.95 so I am looking at a complete package under $400.
http://www.yagiantenna.com/pcsantennahtml.html

Also some of you may want to check out Wilson's dash or window mount Antenna offering 10-15dB gain, they claim 300% improvement. oh yea the price........$99.95.
http://www.yagiantenna.com/homelink.html

Has anyone else noticed the Google banner ads, they are focused on the content of this thread? follow them for other affordable options.

chrisguld
Explorer
Explorer
Tony,
I still havent' figured out how much it cost! LOL
I'm told that Broadband Access Connect for my phone (BBAC) is a monthly cost of $60. The customer service rep said as soon as I turn BBAC on, I will be charged $60 for one month. I can turn it off and not be charged for the next month.

I know people who have been using this feature for a long time (well 1 year is a long time in this industry!) and say that they turn it on and off all the time and are charged a prorated amount, about $2/day.

I've had the service since January and have only used it a few days in January and a few days in April. I can't find a charge of any kind on my bill!

It may have something to do with when your contract was made. We've been Verizon customers since 2003.

So ... worse case = $60 month by month. Best case = Free! Prorated to $2/day sounds good to me.
Chris Guld
"Blessed are the Flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape!"
Full time in our 37' Gulfstream Endura Super C
See our weblog/travelog, at GeeksOnTour.Blogspot.com
RV.net Blogger

Anthony21403
Explorer
Explorer
chrisguld,
Good tip, I just dug around on the back of my motoq and found it right where you said it would be. Since Alltel is being bought out by Verizon, how much extra does it cost you to use your cell phone for a modem?
MSG Tony, USAF, 20+ years
Back from my 6 month "Summer in the Sand" Vacation

chrisguld
Explorer
Explorer
I have Verizon, and I use my LG enV VX990 to connect using Broadband Access. I too was told that the phone didn't have a way to connect an external antenna, but it does. We uncovered every little hatch until we found it .. right under the camera lens, where it reads 2.0 megapixels. You need a straight pin to get the cover off. AND, make sure you get the correct antenna adapter for your phone - plugging it in with the wrong one can fry the phone.
Chris Guld
"Blessed are the Flexible, for they shall not be bent out of shape!"
Full time in our 37' Gulfstream Endura Super C
See our weblog/travelog, at GeeksOnTour.Blogspot.com
RV.net Blogger

Cramalot
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply.
I know the ext ant is not normally needed, but thought it would be a good idea to have that option if we are in the rv in a weak signal area. One place we go we can make voice calls less than half the time with our Samsung because of no signal.

MrWizard
where & why did external antenna come into this

an external ant is not needed for tethering,

yes a phone capable of utilizing and external ant, can be used with an antenna when there is weak signal in a troublesome area

but it is not a needed component of hooking the PC to the phone
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Cramalot
Explorer
Explorer
Verizon, which phone? I talked to Verizon about a phone for tethering with Broadband Access Connect. The rep said they currently have no phones that will connect to an external antenna, but he said I shouldn't need one with the LG 8350. No external antenna, does that sound right?
Thanks

MrWizard

i stand by what i said, having tested many blackberry and other handsets in Rev-A coverage... they are close when it comes to downloads, but get left in the dust when it comes to uploads. thats all i was trying to point out.

some folks who have to decide between handsets and data devices, may care more about upload speed, simply because they may have to send photos somewhere on a regular basis. for those folks, a Rev-0 handset is at a disadvantage over any Rev-A device (handset or data device)

I agree about the differences in rev0 vs revA upload speed, that just didn't seem to come across in your other post.

as far as BB vs aircard, yes REV0 upload speed vs revA aircard upload, there will be a difference

I think will matter more too those uploading large hi-res pix and other documents, than to the avg Rv user

@cramalot
there is NO contract required to add data/tether Broad Band connect use to you phone plan

you can do it from my verizon/my account online or you can call CS on the phone and have it added

of course you need a phone capable of doing this ( most of them ) and the cable for connecting, some people use Blue tooth, but i find a cable has faster transfer speed than BT and the phones battery life/connection time is longer via cable over BT ( BT uses more battery POWER for the BT transceiver ),plus the cable for my voyager and my xv6900 charge the phone while plugged in, so i can use them for hours and charge the battery while i'm at it
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Cramalot
Explorer
Explorer
Need advice. Only need internet access for maybe 3 trips a year for 1 week to 2 months. Can't justify or afford air card for $60 a month for 12 months. Sounds like from reading here that I might could use the cell phone tethered to laptop using Broadband Access Connect with Verizon, prorated @ $14 a week. Is that accurate and is that the best option for me? Does Verizon want a 2 yr contract for Broadband Access Connect as well as @ 2 yr contract on the phone service? How does that work if you are adding and deleting the data service. Do you contact them to add or delete the data service or can you do it your self on line?

Does ATT offer similar option?

Thanks

AlexSian
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
how many aircards are RevA ? AFAIK not too many, certainly NOT all of them.
all of the currently available devices from sprint and verizon are most certainly rev-a. in fact the last rev-o device from verizon was the v640 expresscard, which came out in fall of 2006, nearly two years ago. every data device since the v640 (the last 8-10 devices) has been Rev-A.
MrWizard wrote:
I'm not disputing the Speed attainable with revA
i am disputing your comment that a BB on rev0 is not faster than a cell phone on 1x, when we both know for a fact that it is faster.
no, what i was trying to say is that any rev-o blackberry would be as fast as any rev-a device, in an 1xrtt coverage area, because 1xrtt would be the limiting factor.
MrWizard wrote:
I've seen several of your posts, and I will assume all of your personal gear is hacked and tweaked to the max, NOT stock off the shelf OEM verzion working status
thats funny. there really isn't anything i know of to hack evdo hardware... aside from making it work when nobody else could (like with mac osx), the verizon hardware i use is in fact "bone stock".

i've seen many of your posts as well, and continue to be in awe of your handset and voice plan knowledge... but since i deal with data devices all day every day, i believe i have more experience with those toys.

i stand by what i said, having tested many blackberry and other handsets in Rev-A coverage... they are close when it comes to downloads, but get left in the dust when it comes to uploads. thats all i was trying to point out.

some folks who have to decide between handsets and data devices, may care more about upload speed, simply because they may have to send photos somewhere on a regular basis. for those folks, a Rev-0 handset is at a disadvantage over any Rev-A device (handset or data device)
miscellaneous tech ramblings @ http://alexsian.com

MrWizard
how many aircards are RevA ? AFAIK not too many, certainly NOT all of them

my brand new HTC touch is RevA hardware with Rev0 software limits and if I want to change it, i have to flash the radio ROM with a new cooked ROM

i'm not a day trader with 2 or 3 PC's tracking stocks all day

and i doubt that the OP's is either or has the absolute need for RevA speed, also in real life use, not speed test, the RevA makes more difference in uploads and game response, due to differences in latency not as much difference in dl's or other things, streaming video certainly, stock tracking, depends on much data is in the real time feed ?

I'm not disputing the Speed attainable with revA

i am disputing your comment that a BB on rev0 is not faster than a cell phone on 1x, when we both know for a fact that it is faster.

I've seen several of your posts, and I will assume all of your personal gear is hacked and tweaked to the max, NOT stock off the shelf OEM verzion working status
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s