Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
This must have been posted already, but tryPDAnet free or $24 for tethered service Android, BlackBerry many others.

As of right now you can register PDAnet for only $16. Don't know how long it will be available at this price. Buy PDAnet
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
This must have been posted already, but tryPDAnet free or $24 for tethered service Android, BlackBerry many others.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

mappleg8
Explorer
Explorer
Being able to connect through your cell phone is great, but I don't like the idea of paying the carrier extra to connect my computer. I already pay for a data plan.

On my old phone in had found a wonderful application. I changed phones and don't have it now, curse the luck! I'm still searching for an android app to do so on the new phone.

But -- if you have a Windows or a Symbian operating system on your phone (the last time I looked it was only those two OSs) -- go and look at www.walkinghotspot.com.

As I said, I had this on my old phone. It cost $25 for a lifetime license. One time purchase! And you don't have to keep paying the carrier or get one of those $99 connector boxes.

It connects via bluetooth or by cable, your choice. Last Thanksgiving in Nashville, TN my sis-in-law, my niece, niece's hubby, and I were all connected to the internet doing our shopping. We had a good connection and loved the system!

Again, this was from www.walkinghotspot.com and cost only $25 for a lifetime license. The drawback is the limitation to Windows and Symbian phones only. Still I think it is worth checking out.
Marc & Ronette, her little fluffy white dog Pixie (we're all newbies)
1988 26' Mallard Sprinter

Visit Missouri State Parks at www.mostateparks.com.

Torrey
Explorer
Explorer
Pat Anderson wrote:
Just got our Verizon MiFi on an internet promotion, the device was free and no activation charge, with 2 year contract at $60 per month for 5 gb. Had been using a BB Storm with data plan ($30) and tethering ($30 more), so this comes out $$$ neutral on the cell side. My BB died a couple of weeks ago, and I have a donated LG flip phone for voice and text until I am next eligible for a Verizon phone upgrade, so don't need data or tethering. Set up was very easy, changed the admin password for the device and configured for SSID and password, this took all of about 15 minutes.

This morning I shut off the Centurytel dsl modem and wireless router and connected two Macs and an Acer netbook running Ubuntu Netbook, and the MiFi is FASTER than the Centurytel dsl! Where I am going to make money is terminating the Centurytel land line and dsl ($70 a month)!

Can hardly wait to take this on the road!

Don't forget to change your data plan.

Pat_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Just got our Verizon MiFi on an internet promotion, the device was free and no activation charge, with 2 year contract at $60 per month for 5 gb. Had been using a BB Storm with data plan ($30) and tethering ($30 more), so this comes out $$$ neutral on the cell side. My BB died a couple of weeks ago, and I have a donated LG flip phone for voice and text until I am next eligible for a Verizon phone upgrade, so don't need data or tethering. Set up was very easy, changed the admin password for the device and configured for SSID and password, this took all of about 15 minutes.

This morning I shut off the Centurytel dsl modem and wireless router and connected two Macs and an Acer netbook running Ubuntu Netbook, and the MiFi is FASTER than the Centurytel dsl! Where I am going to make money is terminating the Centurytel land line and dsl ($70 a month)!

Can hardly wait to take this on the road!
Pat & Patty Anderson
2013 Columbus 295RL
2006 Silverado 3500 Duramax / Allison
1991 Alpenlite 25+2
1993 Ford F250
2005 C-Dory CD25 Cruiser
2014 Honda Forza Scooter
2013 Honda PCX150 Scooter
1987 Honda Sprees (matched set) - sold May 2015
Our blog

Torrey
Explorer
Explorer
donkincaid wrote:
Just bought the VirginMobile MiFi with unlimited data. Device is a mobile hotspot supporting up to 5 devices. No contract. So far so good. 3G isn't Fiber.... But it may just work. Underlying network is Sprint.

While Virgin mobile may offer unlimited data, there has been a lot of negative feedback about their service on EVDOForums.com

I think this article sums it all up:

Virgin Mobile Broadband vs. Sprint Mobile Broadband

jmacx81
Explorer
Explorer
If you have an Android phone, you can go to the Market and get an app called easy tether. You'll want to buy the app (one time fee of ten bucks and you can change the activation if you get a new phone) it works on all networks. You can even go to https sites...
2010 Chevrolet 2500HD LTZ Quadcab Z71 Duramax 6.6 Turbo with Allison
2005 Coachman Chaparral 281BHS

vcallaway
Explorer
Explorer
The map for Virgin Mobile is not very accurate. My home shows no coverage or even any where near my home yet it works fine.

I've opted to go with the USB device so I can connect an external antenna. I've ordered a Netgear MBRN3000 mobile router to share the connection.

It is more money in the long run but gives me a lot more options and I can mount an antenna on the roof. Router can be hardwired into a 12v supply. Total cost is a little over $200.
1989 Honey Maxum

CaliCamperTC
Explorer
Explorer
Is anyone have experience with the blackberry torch from ATT and what I can get for the laptop for a trip to Alaska? Technology is really tough for me.
BigFoot2500b Torklift Hellwig Ranchos 96Dodge 12v SRW 19.5 Ricksons

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
cmkirk wrote:
donkincaid wrote:
Just bought the VirginMobile MiFi with unlimited data. Device is a mobile hotspot supporting up to 5 devices. No contract. So far so good. 3G isn't Fiber.... But it may just work. Underlying network is Sprint.

REALLY?? We're setting up to take off and my ATT is about to reup. Will check it out.
Before you switch, check Virgin Mobile Coverage. (Note: you need to check off the "Data Coverage" box above the map to see data coverage.)
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

cmkirk
Explorer
Explorer
donkincaid wrote:

REALLY?? We're setting up to take off and my ATT is about to reup. Will check it out.
Robert & Caryl~marie

donkincaid
Explorer
Explorer

Dave_From_AK
Explorer
Explorer
xctraveler wrote:
Got the DroidX with its own mobile hotspot, "only" $20/mo. It works great! It does suck battery so I have to have juice available to use it, but then the laptops also want juice every so often as well.
Note that the $20/mo is for only 2 GB.

The phone has an unlimited data plan, but the Wi-Fi hotspot feature does not.
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Got the DroidX with its own mobile hotspot, "only" $20/mo. It works great! It does suck battery so I have to have juice available to use it, but then the laptops also want juice every so often as well.
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

wbrian
Explorer
Explorer
"...Just a quick note on AT&T:

... Last I checked, they have a 'tether' package but I don't recall the rates..."

AT&T's tethering package costs 60.00 a month for 5 Gigs of date. If you have a blackberry, there is a program called tether (www.tether.com). It handles all the connection stuff for you and connects your PC to the net through you berry. It costs around 50.00, but is feequently on sale for half price. Once time charge, no monthly billing. My understanding is that it cloaks your tethering and is undetectable by the carrier. I've been using it for over a year, sparingly. I don't use large amounts of data when I tether, just email, surfing, etc...

HTH,
Brian
Cellphones and Satellite TV for less!

2000 Jayco Kiwi 17A