Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

BCam
Explorer
Explorer
How can I tell if my Verizon plan (Digital Choice, LG VX4500 phone, Sacramento, CA area) will let me access the internet without an additional charge? I'm not sure that they'd give me the straight story if I call them since it looks like they want to charge for internet access. I'd hate to go to the time and expense of purchasing the USB cord, software, etc. only to find out if I need to pay additional $ for what would only be occassional access while on the road.
Bob C.

Ipanema
Explorer
Explorer
Quote: "you can't receive or place voice calls & your minutes are charged for all carriers as far I know".
Not so with Sprint. At least two years ago I was able to use the USB cable cord together with Sprints PCS software and be able to connect with my laptop 24/7 at no additional charge. That said, during Hurricane Charlie, I was unable to have access so I called Sprint's tech support. It seems that Sprint doesn't want their clients to use the cell phone as a modem other than the stupid use of the cellphone's screen. They have refused to give support stating that they do not want us to use the laptop connection unless we buy their $79. (or so) monthly program.
No one has stated they use Sprint. Is there anyone out there that does? I haven't tried mine of late and this thread has kicked up my curiousity to try it again. More later.
I have reported on this and another program called Slingshot (ggogle it) which is an inexpensive way to connect to the internet.

Ed and Lilian

Penn State Class of 1956

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
...wouldn't it just be cheaper to take the $80 per mo. unlimited KB plan?

I have the Cingular/AT&T high speed plan for $80 and unlimited data and it's great! I just got my bill for last month - over 500 Meg of data for one price. I just leave it on all the time and I can use my phone at the same tme.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
"WiFi" is an anacronym for Wireless Network connection. In other words, with a "wireless" network card in your computer, IF your computer is within the signal range of someone's wireless network, you may be able to connect to it and enjoy network speed internet access.

However it is no guarantee. It all depends on whether or not the network is open to the public or not.

Wirless networks have a general range of 1000 feet. So we're talking pretty close to "line of sight" range. But it beats being tethered to a cord. :C

Hope this helps.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

JaneK
Explorer
Explorer
I'm even more confused than ever! Would someone please let me know what "wi-fi" stands for? Re: the really high cingular bill, wouldn't it just be cheaper to take the $80 per mo. unlimited KB plan?

MrWizard
EVDO broadband verizon phones are already being sold

the LG vx8000 and the audiovox 6??? (sorry don't remember the number )) went on sale on the first monday in Feb

the 2 data plans are $49.99 and 79.99 for broadband access

Verizon is saying that 'tethered' use of MOA is not allowed with broadband phones

if you want broadband access, VZW says buy a data plan

Vcast verizons branded video downloads and WAP is a $15 a month plan that has nothing to do with hooking a PC to the phone
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jimraysr
Explorer
Explorer
I see from being on several sites lately that most are selling USB to cellular cables for $20 - $30 still. I ordered a pair of cables for our Motorola T730c's for $9.00 each including postage for this outfit in CA. We have been using them for a couple of months.

The really nice thing is it also charges the phone while connected.
thus eleminating the extra cable and wall wart.

http://123usb.net/index.html

They have cables for several brands and a lot of models.

No connection, other than being a satisfied customer.

Jim
Jim,Sr., Jean & Charlie Boy (K9) Ray 88 - 25'HR AlumaFrame, 460/C6, Looking for a new Dinghy, DirecTV, XM, 6-210amp GC, Separator, Link-10, PD9280/Wiz, ProSine 1800, PowerPoles, VZW Internet, Smith & Wilson

JamesRaySr@gmail.com
Glendale, AZ

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
Re: NOKIA VERIZON PHONES

Take a look at SnapDialer. Here is the link to the NOKIA Cables

Here is the link to the NOKIA Software

I'd be surprised if they don't have what you need.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

jimraysr
Explorer
Explorer
My experience wt. Verizon is, I receive calls when packets are not being transfered, but if data is being downloaded, the caller gets a busy, can leave a voice or text message and the phone notifies me when idle. I can call out without having to disconnect from my internet link.The billing is based on time only, but free nites and weekends.

Jim
Jim,Sr., Jean & Charlie Boy (K9) Ray 88 - 25'HR AlumaFrame, 460/C6, Looking for a new Dinghy, DirecTV, XM, 6-210amp GC, Separator, Link-10, PD9280/Wiz, ProSine 1800, PowerPoles, VZW Internet, Smith & Wilson

JamesRaySr@gmail.com
Glendale, AZ

vanbikehorse
Explorer
Explorer
For those of you with Nokia Verizon Phones, here's a way to get Cell Phone Internet Access with the Verizon Manager and the Compression Software: Nokia doesn't support third party products, so there was no mobile office kit from Verizon. I ended up making one myself by buying the cable and drivers from Nokia and buying an older, on sale mobile office kit from Verizon for another phone and throwing the cable away to use the software. The software was outdated, but I got the right to download, so now I have the latest software running on my Nokia Mobile Office.
2005 Chevy 2500HD SB X-CAB,4X4,G-80,D/A,ALCOA Wls,265/75R16E, Air Lift Sure Set, SuperSprings, RS9000x, Curt 14108.
2003 Alpenlite Laramie w/X CAB & Polar Cub A/C, Happijac FM, EU-2000.
2000 Brenderup Baron TC Horse Tailer
1996 Arab Endurance Race Horse

dmartin2
Explorer
Explorer
...For those that haven't tried this yet, keep in mind that you cannot recieve a phone call while your phone is being used as a modem.....

To be precise, while your phone is being used like a "Dial Up Modem" (i.e. CSD or "Circuit Switched Data") you can't receive or place voice calls & your minutes are charged for all carriers as far I know. Some let you use night & weekend minutes (t-mo), some don't (Cingular's new policy).

However, if your phone is using GPRS (and, I suppose, EDGE) you can use the internet and voice features of your phone at the same time. The technology is "Packet Switched" just like DSL.

GPRS charges are for the amount of data, rather than the number of minutes. This is an important feature for most of us. I want to be hooked up all the time but most of the time I'm not actually using the internet at all; I'm reading or writing or doing nothing.

Cingular and T-Mobile use GPRS technology & also support CSD. Other providers may do so as well.

Dave

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
keep in mind that you cannot recieve a phone call while your phone is being used as a modem

Not true. Some calls, not all, will come thru on my ATT cell. Text messages will work just fine when connected via phone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

stracos
Explorer
Explorer
Great post.

For those that haven't tried this yet, keep in mind that you cannot recieve a phone call while your phone is being used as a modem.

Now that dedicated data cards are down to $49 to $149, it might be worth picking one up.

Also, at least verizon is slowly expanding their broadband access service (which their $149 cards are forward compatible with) and it offers 300kbps-2mbps speeds. They'll probably have phones soon that are compatible with it too. They might already. But I'd rather have a pcmcia card in my laptop for $149 than tie up my cell phone.

$80/month is a lot, but verizon (and probably other carriers) have started monitoring bandwidth and have the right to shut down your data connection if they figure out you're using the phone as a modem tethered to your PC to avoid paying the $79/mo.

Joe

Clay_L
Explorer
Explorer
rodbuilder

When i'm in Extended Network areas they don't offer data service.

That depends on the extended network. Many do offer data service.

Two and a half years ago, I found that a lot of them did not, but each year more and more do. Now I find that most of them do in the areas I travel.
I found I do have to update my phone's software by dialing *288 to get the new area info.
Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Air card was cheaper at $79 with unlimited minutes, but less coverage and more startup costs.

Maybe you should take AT&T's aircard for their free trial. I've used it all over FL with generally 170K speeds. Even around the country the worst I've had is 30K except for Death Valley where there was no coverage.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36