Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

DanaMc
Explorer
Explorer
CELL PHONE INTERNET ACCESS

This is designed to explain the basic approach to using your cell phone with your computer to connect to the internet. It is not intended to be an in depth coverage of the topic. Rather it is intended to help folks get acquainted with what is necessary and a suggested resource or two. The first step in this process would be to check with your cell phone carrier. Make sure there is no reason you canโ€™t use your phone like a modem. Some carriers can provide this for an additional fee.

It is the most cost effective way to keep up with your email and favorite web pages from nearly anywhere. In most cases you do not need a separate or different phone plan. You will use your plan minutes and can manage it to take advantage of the unlimited nights and weekends just as you might for conversations. Regular cell phone roaming charges may apply depending on where you are and whether your carrier has an agreement with the local service provider. This is no different than any other situation.

The key components needed are your cell phone, a special USB cord designed specifically for your cell phone. It will connect your cell phone directly to your computer via a USB port on the computer. Finally you will want software to manage the connection and compress the data being sent. There are many sources for this equipment. You can check with your local cell phone retailer. Radio Shack is a good source on this topic as well. But they will only be familiar with the phones they sell. I have been using SnapDialer. I have been very happy with the combination of Verizon and SnapDialer to connect to the internet.

Once your software is installed and configured for your internet service provider, you will only need to click on the Icon to launch your internet session. What service provider you use is not part of this topic. However there are many low cost or free email services such as Googleโ€™s Gmail, Microsoftโ€™s Hotmail, or Yahoo.

Below is some additional reading on this topic:

HOW-TO: Use your CDMA cell phone as a USB modem

Cell Phone Internet Connections

Cellular Fills Gap Between Hotspots

Looking for a boost in your signal? There are third party systems that can enhance your cellular signal and/or facilitate the use of a cell phone in your RV or your home. One example of this is Wilson Cellular Antennas & Amplifiers. Properly installed, these systems can enhance your range of coverage.

DanaMc
Matthews, NC
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH

769 REPLIES 769

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the Vista info. I am more confident that it will work with the phone. I know that my dial-up internet, Netscape, will not, as they have explicitly stated that they won't update to work w/ Vista.

When I mention our LG VX3300 phone to Verizon store people, they act incredulous that anyone ever bought one, let alone that it could possibly warrant any accessories. Yet this was the phone they were pushing 18 months back.

Suffice it to say they are not helping much (at least by phone) with locating a compatible cable, and after the radio shack adventure, I do want to buy from brick and mortar in the event of another incompatibility - I have no problem buying a $40 cable from Verizon, but can you help me determine which specific kit will do the trick with the LG VX3300? I would really appreciate it.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

MrWizard
strollin wrote:
MrWizard wrote:
... buy your cable from Verizon ( yeah it cost more a whole $39 ) but the cable and the drivers will be correct, MOK or MEK doesn't make any difference for our useage, one comes with dialer software on doesnt't, NOT important, they both come with the correct cable & drivers to make nice with windows ...

I helped my sister get setup to connect to the 'net with her Verizon cellphone (Audiovox 8910) attached to her new laptop that is running Vista. I wasn't quite sure whether the drivers that came with the cable would work with Vista but they loaded fine and we were able to connect to the Verizon network.

I personally avoid using the Verizon cables unless there is no alternative since they are more expensive and don't charge the phone thru the USB.

--Bruce

yes but the last 3 new phones I have gotten, the cable from the MEK kit has a connection socket in the cable line for connecting the charger so the charger plugs into this socket just like it would on the phone and the phone is charged will in use, i leave these cables permanently connected together and every time i plug the phone in , its getting charged, this seems to be a standard thing now

its this way on the lg8100,8300,8500,8600,9900,and the samsung u740
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
... buy your cable from Verizon ( yeah it cost more a whole $39 ) but the cable and the drivers will be correct, MOK or MEK doesn't make any difference for our useage, one comes with dialer software on doesnt't, NOT important, they both come with the correct cable & drivers to make nice with windows ...

I helped my sister get setup to connect to the 'net with her Verizon cellphone (Audiovox 8910) attached to her new laptop that is running Vista. I wasn't quite sure whether the drivers that came with the cable would work with Vista but they loaded fine and we were able to connect to the Verizon network.

I personally avoid using the Verizon cables unless there is no alternative since they are more expensive and don't charge the phone thru the USB.

--Bruce
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

MrWizard
it more of a MFG & issue than a windows Vista issue, the reports on HOFO verizon forums are mixed, some plug in the phone windows recognizes it and loads the drivers, others have trouble getting the PC to talk to phone

this is more to do with the ON BOARD USB hardware & the drivers of this hardware and the PC bios , being up to speed with Vista's requirements

buy your cable from Verizon ( yeah it cost more a whole $39 ) but the cable and the drivers will be correct, MOK or MEK doesn't make any difference for our useage, one comes with dialer software on doesnt't, NOT important, they both come with the correct cable & drivers to make nice with windows

then take your phone with you when shop for a VISTA laptop.

plug the cabled phone into the laptop and see what windows does ?
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

burlmart
Explorer
Explorer
I have carefully read ALL of this thread and followed many posts on the Yahoo Group InternetByCellphone.

I have a desktop running Windows XP Home Edition and, mostly as a test, have tried to set up my verizon lg vx3300 for the 1xrtt nrtwork using the drivers found on the following commercial site

http://www.cellphonemall.net/wireless/store/accessorydetail.asp?id=43904&phoneid=626

To avoid waiting on a mail order, I bought - and returned - a cable from radio shack that proved incompatible with the vx3300.

If I thought I would be successful, I would venture to order the cable pictured in the link above. But even if it does work on my XP desktop, I still wonder what good it will be since I will soon be in the market for a laptop for the RV, and the new laptops run Windows Vista.

My concern here is that people on this thread and the yahoo group have reported 1xrtt setup software incompatibility with XP Media Center Edition, which makes me even more concerned that the drivers and cable may not work at all on Windows Vista.

Any advice is appreciated.
2005 Trail Lite 213 B-Plus w/ 6.0 Chevy

jwendt
Explorer
Explorer
I tried the cable to cell phone connection with very little luck-- (alltel)
my friend purchase a card from ebay and connected to alltel with great luck.
Altell did allow me to return the cable, I'll try the card next time

sowego
Explorer
Explorer
We also use Verizon to dial up the Internet while traveling. It is slow but better than nothing. We bought the cable and a phone that can be used as a modem hooked to the laptop. We did not have to buy a larger plan but we aren't on the most basic plan either. One must certainly make sure you are not roaming and have good strong signal before connecting. We were not able to get the software and found out after talking to a Verizon cust. ser. rep. on the phone we did not need it. He helped us create the connection. We use MSN Explorer to collect our hotmail account and do our web searches. It all works very well.

The newest deal Verizon and other companies have with true high speed available only in certain areas is faster but much more expensive. The only cost we have with Verizon is the phone service and the cost of the phone & cable.

If you add a WiFi card you will increase your speed when in an area where you can find the signal.
2002 Tiffin Phaeton
2005 Malibu Maxx toad

MrWizard
jwendt wrote:
Glad most of you had good luck--I didn't!--I bought a kit from alltel
to hook up to my cell phone--got into Texas with no luck getting onthe web--my friend bought a card from e-bay and got all kinds of web access---

I would take that to mean that , altel does NOT have 'data connection roaming " agreements regarding cellphones, but does for aircards, or even that their aircard service is just rebranded VZW,
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jwendt
Explorer
Explorer
Glad most of you had good luck--I didn't!--I bought a kit from alltel
to hook up to my cell phone--got into Texas with no luck getting onthe web--my friend bought a card from e-bay and got all kinds of web access---
Alltel refunded with no hassle and I purchased a card(e-bay) that will access the IN through altell for 65$--they charge 25$ and can be put on hold anytime.--(beat their program for a 2 year contract)
my e-mail is jwendt14@cox.net if you need any more info

tripple_dipper
Explorer
Explorer
I just got new phones LG5300 which are 1X and tried the Internet hook up and it worked so for no data charge on my phone will have to wait for next bill to be sure. I am using the bluetooth to connect my phone and laptop.

MrWizard
these settings affect only 2 things, staying off the EVDO network and making your internet connection

if you are using the mobile web, and need the EVDO, you only have to go back to service menu on the phone and reset the network select to the 'first setting' on the list, digital hybrid mode

the DUN enable and PC settings need NOT be reset, but the same menus used to set them can be used to change them back

although some users have said that doing a calling #228 and choosing option 1 , program phone, has reset their sets to default, but i belive that varies from one phone model to the next
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Pineapple_Kid
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard

Two quick Questions?
1)How does one get their phone re programmed to the original settings if need be?
2) Are the original settings a default settings that the phone could return to by itself under certain conditions such as battery change etc?
Aloha from Kauai
Leon ( DBA Pineapple Kid )
Pineapple Kid Kauai, Hawaii

2013 Ram 2500 crew cab diesel (In California)
2003 Jayco 243RKS fifth wheel (In California)
Right Hand drive Sprinter Motorhome ( in Netherlands )

Montana_Ultra_R
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the instructions Mr. Wizard. I ALMOST bought an LG VX8300 to replace my old LG 4400. Verizon told me I would have to pay their $59.00 monthly fee (plus all the taxes) to use the MOK with the 8300.

I've decided to baby my 4400 and make do until it dies. Then I'll deal with the 8300 and your instructions.

I learned so much on this forum three years ago. I've been using my 4400 and MOK to access the internet on my laptop since I retired in 2004. Works great when I don't have a free WIFI hotspot.

Have others had success using Mr. Wizard's instructions?

Thanks again.
MUR

MrWizard
never never talk to VZW corp about tethering on MINUTES of uSE on National Access

vzw doesn't promote that service any more.. yes it works and yes you are using minutes of your call plan, but corporate makes more money if they sell you a data plan for internet use.

so if even though they used to promote MOU, they NO longer promote MOU, because you have FREE nights and weekends, so the MOU doesn't add any money to to the coffers when your burning free minutes, people won't set on the phone and talk all night, BUT they will play on the internet all night..

so CS is not allowed to talk about MOU even though they used to push it..before there was free nights & weekends

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/15038442/gotomsg/18594092.cfm#1859...

edited to include the link
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

tnpopatop
Explorer
Explorer
I called Verizon today and was going to order a Mobile Office Kit and perhaps a new phone so I could occasionally tether to my computer if I really had to when Wi-Fi was not available.
They told me there was no way for me to hook up my computer to a cell phone without paying for unlmited access whether it be national access or broadband. I dialed 611 from my phone and talked to technical support for Mobile Office Kit / aircards. They too said I only had 2 options and both were the same fee for unlimited access.
So now I don't know what to do! Thought about buying a Mobile Office Kit for my Old LG VX5200 off of e-bay for $20 and just following the directions from some of these posts and see if it works.
I have been a Verizon customer for over 10 years and have always had varied customer service. A little of a year ago I spent nearly 5 hours convincing them that Onstar could be linked up with Verizon and added to my family plan. After about 16 transfers somebody got me hooked up but took about 2 days for it to start working.