cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Computers while traveling

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in the market for a new PC laptop or 2 in 1, with an eye toward what it can do for me and DW while traveling. We currently use iPhone apps while traveling but a larger screen would be nice, especially for mapping apps. We could upgrade to 6+ and get a larger screen. DW usually uses Mapquest when she is back at the S&B planning trips.

I'm wondering if a tablet might be a better choice for on-the-road although I need to have the Office products-primarily Word, Excel and Access (or something better) at the campsite. Usually the DW/navigator would use the ??? while I drive.

As I replace my old PC I am looking for ways to make things a little better while traveling. Has anyone been down this road?
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.
46 REPLIES 46

TInmania
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
The Cloud, Perhaps this is a topic for another thread
But I will add this comment
This is a retro step backwards in time
40 yrs ago, the computer was in a big air conditioned room
And users Sat at work stations that connected to the computer via cables

Then came pc's and you could run them singly any where you wanted to put it, then came net working the PC

Yes you could run them singly, That was quite some time ago when having a household PC was the norm (if the household even had one).

Now I have a desktop PC (2), laptop (2), tablet, and a smartphone. They are all computers and in fact many times more powerful than the PC of yesteryear. What benefit is it to run all of these computers singly? No benefit, at least for me.

What is a benefit is having access to all of my data, calendars, email, contacts and more, on all of my devices.

And it is not an either/or situation: I can have my cake and eat it too. If I don't have 'net access, I still have that data on my individual devices--and it will get synced to the cloud when connectivity returns. Conversely, I can lose every single one of my devices and still have all my data when I get a replacement.

Cloud computing is a solution to at least two problems: multiple devices needing to be in sync and reliable/transparent data backups.

Michael

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
Strollin takes the middle ground and would like a computer that is able to use the cloud to supply his apps and data, but would like to continue working without connectivity just like Mr Wizard is able to do, meaning he would have access to his apps and data locally until connectivity resumed, then work would be saved and operations would resume (seamlessly?) on the updated cloud. ...

I wouldn't say I'm taking the middle ground and want a computer that works this way but, as AsheGuy pointed out, this is the way Google apps work. I was simply pointing out that a Chromebook might work for what YOU want/need it to do.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
TakingThe5th wrote:
Strollin takes the middle ground and would like a computer that is able to use the cloud to supply his apps and data, but would like to continue working without connectivity just like Mr Wizard is able to do, meaning he would have access to his apps and data locally until connectivity resumed, then work would be saved and operations would resume (seamlessly?) on the updated cloud.

This is exactly the way Google Drive and Google Docs work today. I can designate which of my files I want to be resident on a device of mine and then those documents can be accessed and/or updated when I am off the grid. They will be synced with the cloud and my other devices when an Internet connection is available. I don't have a Chromebook but I am fairly sure they work the same way there.

Excellent information, thank you. I need to give Chrome a closer look. Who knows - I might be handing out cans of Chrome polish ๐Ÿ™‚
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
Strollin takes the middle ground and would like a computer that is able to use the cloud to supply his apps and data, but would like to continue working without connectivity just like Mr Wizard is able to do, meaning he would have access to his apps and data locally until connectivity resumed, then work would be saved and operations would resume (seamlessly?) on the updated cloud.

This is exactly the way Google Drive and Google Docs work today. I can designate which of my files I want to be resident on a device of mine and then those documents can be accessed and/or updated when I am off the grid. They will be synced with the cloud and my other devices when an Internet connection is available. I don't have a Chromebook but I am fairly sure they work the same way there.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Asheguy, Mr Wizard, Strollin - you are all correct.

Asheguy is basically looking for a level playing field where everyone has current versions of software that are legal, update, security and backup support, little need for expert support staff, and more up-time as a result. He also likes the cloud concept.

Mr Wizard likes to have everything on the hard drive. He wants total control of his computing environment and is willing to make sure software and operating system are up to date.

Folks I hope I summarized your positions well enough, my apologies if I mis-spoke.

My position is to see if the world according to Strollin really does exist. Does the Chromebook or any other computer really function that well both off-line and on-line? So far I haven't seen it happen but I agree that it very well might be possible some day soon. Not finding Utopia, I am looking for the fewest number of compromises.

I like Dropbox and actually use it as a file backup technique. When I am away I would leave the old PC running - it had Dropbox installed and would sync my work on the Mac and iPhone to it's own copy of those files - instant backup and I have a copy of every file in three places.

Why couldn't the apps be handled the save way? Version 22 of Word is sitting on the hard drive ready for use. When version 23 ships, the update takes place at the first available moment, meanwhile version 22 continues to work for a short time knowing that it is upward compatible with version 23. That would work very well for me, but it eludes me.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
Without knowing exactly what programs the OP uses and what various scenarios are to be accomplished, it's hard to say whether a Chromebook would work or not. However, just wanted to point out that when using a Chromebook there are lots of things that can be done off-line. Google docs such as documents, spreadsheets and presentations can be edited while off-line and will be automatically uploaded to the cloud when access is available again.
Reese Dual Cam HP
Twin Honda 2000s

See our pics here

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:

You are completely on-target Mr Wizard. My topic is "Computers while traveling" and I have days at the campsite where I have little or no useable internet access.

My fear is that Chromebook and Windows in the cloud will not work in the woods. In other words I would have to go to a coffee shop with wifi or to be more discriminating on where I camp (wifi). Yes, I use Verizon and yes, coverage is improving, but I'm also not looking forward to the day when I need to have a working phone (mifi) just to work up a simple spreadsheet or document.

I agree with your premise that for your needs as they exist now, using online apps from Google, Microsoft of whatever is probably not the path you need to take. But see below.

MrWizard wrote:

And users Sat at work stations that connected to the computer via cables.

Then came pc's and you could run them singly any where you wanted to put it, then came net working the PC.

I have lived through all this scenario, having started in 1960 in support of those computers that took up rooms (and had vacuum tubes when I began). And it was quite a while before any work stations came on the scene. It was all done via punch card input to the "mainframe" computer.

But I don't agree that the new trend is retro. There are good reasons to get back where applications are run on central "servers" as they call them now.

For business or any large organization such as schools, PCs were and are a nightmare and costly to support. And personal users have the same issues.

- Operating system/applications installation, support and updating.
- System integrity (untrained or malicious users can corrupt the system)
- Data backup.
- Data security.

For a large percentage of business or personal users, dealing with these issues are way above their pay grade.

This is one reason why schools are increasingly switching to Chromebooks. Way, way better solution than PCs or MACs for the school environment. Several of my grandchildren go to schools that have switched completely to Chromebooks.

And it is increasingly beneficial for personal users to move to the new cloud computing model as broadband Internet access becomes more universal. As I have said in previous posts, I use cloud computing and with a smartphone with a wifi hotspot, seldom cannot get access. But there are times, so the OP is correct to avoid that route for now.

But, cloud applications could change his process for the good. For example, I use Google's Calendar and so it is available on all my devices for reference or adding to. Cloud calendars are shareable, so scheduling can be done without email exchanges, but via referencing shared calendars and it is all done instantly so all can see.

Just my viewpoint. I may be an old "geezer" but I don't see the new wave of cloud computing as retro.
- Our Blog -

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:

Then came pc's and you could run them singly any where you wanted to put it, then came net working the PC

Now with the cloud services, are devices are now was again, only a work station, using apps on the cloud servers/computers and the data is on the cloud...And can not be accessed with out an internet connection

No cloud access, no apps no stored data

This is not how I prefer compute

You are completely on-target Mr Wizard. My topic is "Computers while traveling" and I have days at the campsite where I have little or no useable internet access.

Here is one of my scenarios - I do some scheduling for my church and in that process I first send out an email asking for people's availability. At that point I need connectivity, and a few days later I need connectivity again to receive email responses. Many times I need to "go to town" if the wifi is not willing. At this point I now have all my emails on the iPhone and the MacBook Pro. I can now do all my scheduling off-net on the Mac (preferring the new PC in the future) and it takes 2 or 3 days for me to finish but with all my software and email on the local hard drive that is not a problem. When the schedule is complete it's back to town looking for connectivity once again. From that point on I can handle any followup emails on the iPhone as long as I remember to take it to town, but response will be slow (hey, this is charity work).

My fear is that Chromebook and Windows in the cloud will not work in the woods. In other words I would have to go to a coffee shop with wifi or to be more discriminating on where I camp (wifi). Yes, I use Verizon and yes, coverage is improving, but I'm also not looking forward to the day when I need to have a working phone (mifi) just to work up a simple spreadsheet or document.

MrWizard

Now with the cloud services, are devices are now was again, only a work station, using apps on the cloud servers/computers and the data is on the cloud...And can not be accessed with out an internet connection

No cloud access, no apps no stored data

This is not how I prefer compute
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
AsheGuy wrote:
Gjac wrote:
This sounds like a very good option for casual users. I went to best buy to look at laptops and the young salesmen pointed out something not mention here, that the Chrome book is much faster because it does not have all the programs to load up and because of this the Chromebooks would stay faster compared to laptops because of the added memory required to run these newer programs over the next 5 or so years.

Yes, that is true but the same is true if you run Google Apps on a laptop. I use Google apps on all my devices, no apps to update or install. They are always updated on the Google cloud. Of course the same will be true eventually with Microsoft apps as they move into the cloud environment.

MS already has their apps in the cloud and have for quite a few years. Just as Google's apps are available from Google Drive, MS apps are available from OneDrive. Just signup for a free OneDrive account and you will have access to MS cloud apps for free, just like Google.

Reese Dual Cam HP
Twin Honda 2000s

See our pics here

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac wrote:
This sounds like a very good option for casual users. I went to best buy to look at laptops and the young salesmen pointed out something not mention here, that the Chrome book is much faster because it does not have all the programs to load up and because of this the Chromebooks would stay faster compared to laptops because of the added memory required to run these newer programs over the next 5 or so years.

Yes, that is true but the same is true if you run Google Apps on a laptop. I use Google apps on all my devices, no apps to update or install. They are always updated on the Google cloud. Of course the same will be true eventually with Microsoft apps as they move into the cloud environment.
- Our Blog -

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III

trb46
Explorer
Explorer
TakingThe5th wrote:
OP again. How well does Chromebook function without internet connectivity? Are the apps installed on the PC? Can I work on spreadsheets, compose emails, work on documents, etc and do my transmitting later?

Sorry for my Chromebook knowledge shortcomings but I'm catching up.

Yes, but certainly more limited than a PC laptop. Google "can I use a Chrombook without the Internet." (Sorry, I'm not sure how to do links, or I would.) there are several links on Google. Hope this helps.
2011 Four Winds 23A
Only 48 more states to visit!

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
trb46 wrote:
Gjac wrote:
trb46 wrote:
One option that hasn't been mentioned is a Chromebook. If you just need to search the web and do email, it can be a lower-cost option. Also you have all the Google apps built in. You do need wi-fi. I bought an Acer Chrombook 11 from BestBuy and it works great. Looks like a laptop, only lighter; has a nice keyboard, 11.5" screen, two USB ports and an SD card slot. This is not a paid endorsement; I just like what I bought.
The Chrombook looks like an interesting option, besides email and internet the only other thing I do with my laptop is download pictures from my camera can a Chrome book store photos?

Sure, or you can store them on the cloud in Google Drive.

OP again. How well does Chromebook function without internet connectivity? Are the apps installed on the PC? Can I work on spreadsheets, compose emails, work on documents, etc and do my transmitting later?

Sorry for my Chromebook knowledge shortcomings but I'm catching up.