cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIRECT TV Dropping standard def channels

Protector
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry if this a repeated question, I had Direct TV out to my house today, I was hoping to upgrade my standard definition box in my RV to one that has an HDMI output and not a cable output, and found out "NO CAN DO" with my road trip antenna which is a standard def satellite antenna and it will not work with the new boxes that have HDMI output. Anyways he told me that Direct TV is dropping standard definition and my Wingard road trip dish will be obsolete after the 1st of the year? and will not work since everything is going to High Definition and in order watch Direct TV I will have to purchase an HD dish? Has anyone heard about this?
I really don't care about having HD all I am trying to do is get HDMI to my TV and install an HDMI switch to switch between the two TV's instead of using the three RCA output jacks which produces a crappy picture and you get interference.

Any information would greatly be appreciated!
2011 Ford F-350 Crew cab, short bed King Ranch 6.7 Diesel
2012 Voltage 3200 TH
2010 Polaris RZR LE
65 REPLIES 65

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Why do you mention me in your post? Over the years I have likely tried a dozen or so different apps. They all work somewhat and offer different features.
I am a big fan of Dish Pointer by augmented reality but that does not make it something we would argue over.

I was simply making conversation about the subject. In no way was I criticizing what you said. My apology if you took it that way.
2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why do you mention me in your post? Over the years I have likely tried a dozen or so different apps. They all work somewhat and offer different features.
I am a big fan of Dish Pointer by augmented reality but that does not make it something we would argue over.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Bill I have tried about 3 satellite finding apps and settled on SatFinder because it is very easy to use and always works. Another very interesting app is called Satellite AR. Not only is it easy to visualize the DirecTV satellites but I have used it several times to track and watch the International Space Station go over.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sat Finder is very good. I also have used Dish Pointer (pro) by Augmented Reality.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
dryfly wrote:
Bigbird65 wrote:
I have a really simple system for DirecTV HD reception that I use with our RV trailer. The hardware cost is around $120 and we take the HD receiver with us. Once I have assembled the parts at the campsite it takes less than 15 minutes to align the dish using a satellite finder app on my phone.

What is the "minnie" in your diagram? And yes, what cell phone app do you use?

The Minnie in the photos is a Winnebago 2014 2101DS. I use this app for Android phone to point the dish. The left photo.
Our current Minnie is a 2018 2250DS. The diagram was updated to our current Minnie.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Bigbird65 wrote:
I have a really simple system for DirecTV HD reception that I use with our RV trailer. The hardware cost is around $120 and we take the HD receiver with us. Once I have assembled the parts at the campsite it takes less than 15 minutes to align the dish using a satellite finder app on my phone.

What is the "minnie" in your diagram? And yes, what cell phone app do you use?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I could but haven't signed up for the DNS channels - ie east/west feeds. Instead change the service address as needed. Currently have Portland OR spot beam which covers much of WA and OR. But heading south, maybe today...
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
mt1729 wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
mt1729 wrote:
I'll believe it when I see it. If a Technician told me that I'd use a different technician. It has been rumored to happen now for the last five years. Hasn't happened yet.
Yes the rumors started after DTV made the announcement at a conference a number of years ago. And there are lists of local areas where DTV no longer transmits SD. In 2014 I could not get ABC SD for the winter Olympics in central OR which made the decision for me to switch to HD.

And there are reliable posts on this board of recent letters from DTV to SD equipment users about the end of SD transmission in 2019.

If you have a clear shot at the satellite and still can't pick it up you have a problem. I have spent a little time in Oregon the last couple of years and haven't yet had a problem. However my cousin can't pick up a signal when his coach is facing north. Come to find out his air conditioner was blocking the dish.
Nope this was in Florence and was not a cockpit problem. DTV confirmed they were not transmitting SD locals to that area. Several other areas were confirmed by posters on this board.

Since then there has been a growing list of areas on Solid Signal as I recall.

You were right & I was wrong. When we 1st went with Directv we lived down in a hole where no tv signals were available. At that time Directv didn't have any contracts with any local stations. They let us have both East & West coast feeds (at @ price) with all the networks. We still don't get any local feeds but still get all networks where ever we are. Except for the NFL games the programing is about the same just 2 hrs apart. I apologize for opening mouth before engaging brain.
Moose

mt1729
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
Bigbird65 wrote:

May ask you what app are you using and does it require cell service to work.
Moose

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a Winegard Traveler auto dish and Directv HR24 HD receiver(s) in our MH since 2011 and they are definitely HD. I agree the sky is not falling.

Hank
2005 Mandalay DP
2012 CRV Toad

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
chuckbear wrote:
DirecTV IS NOT dropping SD programming. DirecTV is dropping MPEG2 SD programming. It will still be broadcasting MPEG4 SD programming. So no need to throw anything away or spend a lot of money on new equipment just yet. Chuck
SD only dishes (typically the 18" round ones) and SD only receivers will not work when MPEG2 transmission ends.

At that point you will have to have HD capability. You can still use a SD only TV with a composite, component or HDMI adapter connection. But since HD is available a new TV could be considered.

At home my main TV is HD/HDMI and a component to coax adapter feeds 2 small TVs in the kitchen and den via coax. SD on those TVs is ugly but they serve a purpose.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
DirecTV IS NOT dropping SD programming. DirecTV is dropping MPEG2 SD programming. It will still be broadcasting MPEG4 SD programming. So no need to throw anything away or spend a lot of money on new equipment just yet. Chuck

Retired_andLove
Explorer
Explorer
I have the dish and the power inserter that I used with my fifth wheel. I'll do the same with the motor home as I did with my 5th wheel. Actually works better if you have to park under a tree.
Randy & Dianne
2013 Tiffin Allegro

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
starcraft69 wrote:
May ask you what app are you using and does it require cell service to work.

I am using SatFinder for my Samsing GS5 Android phone. I can't be sure but I don't think that it requires cell service but it does require Location (GPS) service.