cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIRECTV Connections

MarkW_
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Salem Hemisphere Lite Model #SBF346QBUD and there are 3 coax connections in it. One in the master bed, one in the living room, and one in the bunk room. On the outside of the trailer, there are 3 coax connectors. One on the right side of the trailer near the second door, and 2 on the back. I am trying to hook up my Directv tailgater and found it only works on ONE of the outside input coax connectors. I have found that it ONLY works on the coax connector in the living room. How can I get the receiver to work in the master bedroom? Right now I have to lay the cable along the floor to the bedroom to watch TV.

Thanks,
Mark
12 REPLIES 12

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
MarkW. wrote:
I am only asking about the coax in the trailer. Is the coax cable, or whatever it may be using, different for cable tv than the satellite coax. So, no. it doesn't matter if it's DirecTV or Dish. It's still just a satellite. I'm going to look at maybe running a new cable to the bedroom as a permanent fix but may try the wireless transmitter for the bedroom as I actually have one. But the one i have, the remote only works the DirecTV receiver, but I don't know if will work down the hallway. Worth a try though. Thanks everyone!

Yes, you either need a completely separate cable for satellite and TV or there is a slight chance you could modify the connection with an A/B switch to handle one at a time.
As I mentioned, it's likely the only existing coax you have that will handle satellite is the one working connection which you have located. If you want a 2nd receiver at a different location you would likely need to run a new 2nd cable from the outside to that location.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
It's likely that the cable coax is OK for the sat. But if it has any typical TV type equipment on it then the sat will not work with that equipment.

Basically the sat coax has to handle more demanding signal transfer and the sat receiver sends DC voltage to the dish to power the LNBs. So lower quality coax and connectors may have issues as the portable dish is extended towards it's limits.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MarkW_
Explorer
Explorer
I am only asking about the coax in the trailer. Is the coax cable, or whatever it may be using, different for cable tv than the satellite coax. So, no. it doesn't matter if it's DirecTV or Dish. It's still just a satellite. I'm going to look at maybe running a new cable to the bedroom as a permanent fix but may try the wireless transmitter for the bedroom as I actually have one. But the one i have, the remote only works the DirecTV receiver, but I don't know if will work down the hallway. Worth a try though. Thanks everyone!

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, brand matters. Not knowing what you are using leaves everyone speculating when we might be able to give you some known trouble-shooting tips.
However, I missed the part where you said it did work with one of the connections. It is most likely that this will turn out to be the only working satellite TV connection. That's how most are setup. There should then be a way to send the signal from the living room to the bedroom via coax. That might be a 2nd coax port in the same area that the working coax comes in or you could have a video switcher that sends outputs to various locations.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Words matter. Stating the incorrect brand confuses the issue.

Satellite signal CAN use your rv factory cable. The cable specified for sat is heavier duty, has more shielding and a bigger conductor but your cable and connectors should work fine HOWEVER there can not be any tv amplifiers or tv splitters in the path. One run from the dish to the sat splitter to the sat box.

Yes there are specific splitters for sat determined by what box you are using.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
never heard of Park Cable and Cable together?
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
MarkW. wrote:
Maybe not a Tailgater, but same concept. I am smart enough to know what service I have. White dome that sets on the ground and gets power from the truck to get the satellite aimed then unplugged. Does the brand really matter? The outside coax plugs, as I can remember, are labeled "Park Cable", "Satellite", and "Cable". It was explained to me that the regular cable connectors just don't support the satellite signal. The only way I can see to hook it up is to run a coax myself through the trailer to the bedroom from a splitter like CA Traveler said. I was hoping maybe there was some kind of convertor that would make the plugs work. I wish I had the set up like Learjet has. Thanks sdianel, I may call them! What kind of splitter is used for satellite? Not the same as cable correct?

You could also get a HDMI or component video splitter and wireless transmitter for the bedroom.
B&W Ram Companion

MarkW_
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe not a Tailgater, but same concept. I am smart enough to know what service I have. White dome that sets on the ground and gets power from the truck to get the satellite aimed then unplugged. Does the brand really matter? The outside coax plugs, as I can remember, are labeled "Park Cable", "Satellite", and "Cable". It was explained to me that the regular cable connectors just don't support the satellite signal. The only way I can see to hook it up is to run a coax myself through the trailer to the bedroom from a splitter like CA Traveler said. I was hoping maybe there was some kind of convertor that would make the plugs work. I wish I had the set up like Learjet has. Thanks sdianel, I may call them! What kind of splitter is used for satellite? Not the same as cable correct?

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't figure it out, we use Sats2Go in Willis TX, about an hour and a half north of you. He is the RV satellite "guru" and has helped us several times with our satellite system. The owner's name is Dave. He works fast and his prices are reasonable. We stay at Rayford Crossing RV park and he comes to us. He wired our bedroom for satellite. We have DirecTV.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
DirecTV does not work with the Tailgater brand antenna. What are you actually using or are you really a Dish Network customer?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Run a coax from the BR receiver to a outside locker and connect the dish to it.
or
Run that coax that's on the floor through cabinets or storage lockers or under the rig and use a AB switch to select which location to watch.
or
Find out where any existing rear TV coax goes and see how you can switch it to the ouside dish coax. NOTE: You cannot have any TV relater parts like a splitter on the coax for the sat to work.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using DirecTv SWM system, but the proper spiltter should work for you.

I have the DirecTv antenna going into the splitter, then out the splitter into both sat inputs. Then both living room and bedroom have the DirecTv signal available. This is setup to use two recievers, or either location.

B&W Ram Companion