cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV DVR with King Dome - How to use 2 tuners

CallThisCamping
Explorer
Explorer
Because we moved and DirecTV set me up with a genie at home, I found myself with an extra DVR. I already have an owned non-DVR receiver in the MH, so I thought I'd put the new/old DVR on the front TV and move the non-DVR to the bedroom TV since there was a satellite outlet there.
Both outlets are home runs to the King Dome on the roof.

So, here are my 2 questions.

1) The DVR has 2 F connectors for the 2 tuners built into the box, but there's only one wire from the King Dome. I know the receiver supplies sense voltage to the antenna. Is there a device that I can use to split the King Dome wire to use both tuners and still supply the 18V to the dome? Then I could watch something and record something else. (or watch a recording and record 2 different programs. I cannot do that now with only 1 tuner connected.

2) What is needed to be able to watch a recorded program on the bedroom TV like we do at home? The only wires between the 2 locations are component cables from the switcher, and the co-ax that runs separately from each receiver to the dome. There is, of course, no internet between the 2. Thought about running a x-over cat-5 between them, but it's a lot of work as the bedroom TV is in a slide, and I don't know if it would work. Do-able, but hard. I have not yet run a loose wire just for testing purposes.
Tony Tait
2011 Winnebago Adventurer 32H
Pulling 2002 Jeep Liberty
20 REPLIES 20

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
King Controls wrote:
Tony,

I am with KING the manufacture of your dome. You will not be able to use the whole home DVR function with a domed satellite, and SWM is also not compatible with domed satellites.

Please call me at 952-345-8151 or e-mail chris.waples@kingconnect.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Thanks

Chris Waples
Service Manager

Just to clarify, SWM (SWM8 plus the PI29 power inserter) does work with domes. It works with Winegard and I believe the poster is saying he has it working with his KD. Since the whole home feature depends upon SWM and not the LNB, I don't see any reason why that should not work as well.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your SWM8 sees the King Dome as an 18" round antenna. It doesn't know or care what else the antenna is. Obviously, the control cable to your King Dome is a separate cable from the coax that carries the programming.

Like I posted in an earlier response, my Vuqube Flex 2100 would NOT work with SWM8. It has a controller that sends signals over the coax cable to the antenna. the SWM8 would block that.

Unless, that is, I ran two coax cables from the antenna into the RV, then hooked the controller to one of them, THEN hooked the SWM8 in. Hmmm, I may test that sometime when I am at home and bored. I can take the SWM8 out of my attic to play.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

CallThisCamping
Explorer
Explorer
I spoke with Chris at King Dome. He was surprised that the SWM8 worked at all, so I guess I'm lucky I can use both tuners in the DVR.
He said that Whole House will not work at all, it requires a HD dish.
I surmise that the HD signal from the dish is what is modulated in the receiver for Whole Home to work. Just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Tony Tait

King_Controls
Explorer
Explorer
Tony,

I am with KING the manufacture of your dome. You will not be able to use the whole home DVR function with a domed satellite, and SWM is also not compatible with domed satellites.

Please call me at 952-345-8151 or e-mail chris.waples@kingconnect.com if you would like to discuss this further.

Thanks

Chris Waples
Service Manager

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, at least you have the two tuners on the DVR working off of one cable.

Why don't you start a new thread asking how to get whole home DVR working with two HR24 receivers?

On edit:

Try the steps on this website:

https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3290/~/how-do-i-share-my-dvr-playlist-with-the-o...
Bobbo and Lin

CallThisCamping
Explorer
Explorer
OK, here are my results.
I obtained a SWM8, 29V PI, and 1x4 green label splitter (not used) from Amazon for around $50 for everything.
The King Dome has only 2 outputs, labeled 'MAIN' and 'AUX'. Everything I've read about the SWM8 says to hook up 4 wires from the antenna to the SWM8. Since I only had 2, those are the ones I hooked up. Main into the 13V input and AUX into the 18V input. Then I put the PI inline behind the DVR and wired it through with power to the roof on the existing line. Then I went back on the roof with a meter to check that the cable that formerly was wired into the KD 'MAIN' input is the one that had voltage from the PI. Can't be too sure. So that coax went into the SWM1/Power input, the other home run to the bedroom receiver went into the SWM2 output.
The result of all this after several days of re-booting and checking cables is that I now have 2 tuners working in the DVR and can watch one show while recording another. And the Bedroom receiver works fine.
BUT, I cannot get multi-room (whole home) to work, no matter what.
I have run a long CAT-5 on the floor between the two HR24s, no difference. Both receivers are authorized for Whole Home. I've played with IP addresses to make sure they were on the same sub-net. I put the Ethernet cable through a switch and it appears that packets are being sent. But no matter what I've done, Whole Home status says that there are no other receivers networked.
Just not going to happen. BTW, the H24 series do not require a DECA or bandpass filter, they are built in.
I don't know if it needs to hooked up to a HD dish (which the King Dome is not) in order to power a frequency band that Whole home uses or what the answer is. (Other than it's probably the King Dome)
There are those pesky 2 unused inputs..... The SWM8 appears to be working properly so I would assume (yes, I know) that the connections would take place in the SWM8 between the H24s.
Tony Tait

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you get it hooked up and try it out, let us know how it works, please.
Bobbo and Lin

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hereby retract my first sentence of my first post in this thread, "As wired currently, you can not do this."

I was wrong. Glad it is going to work out for you.
Bobbo and Lin

CallThisCamping
Explorer
Explorer
Did a Google search for 'directv whole home wiring diagram' and came up with a lot of good information and diagrams. Both my receivers are H24 series, so are SWM compatible. So it looks like if I do the SWM8 on the roof, PI at the main receiver, I will then have Whole Home (RV) and can watch recordings in the bedroom.
Next stop, Amazon.

Thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction.
Tony Tait

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only one PI is needed.

There are actually only 2 SWM outputs on a SWM8. You have to use SWM splitters to get more, so with 2 cables attached, there are no outputs that need terminating. However, there ARE legacy terminals on the SWM8 that may need terminating.

I don't know anything about whole home DVR, sorry.

When this group puts their heads together, almost any problem an be solved.

Now, a question. Will the dome's controller work without a homerun coax to the antenna? I have a Vuqube Flex 2100 that requires a homerun coax from the controller to the main output on the dome. My Flex would not work with this setup. My controller would have to be up on the roof between the SWM8 and the antenna.
Bobbo and Lin

CallThisCamping
Explorer
Explorer
So much great info. I like the idea of mounting the SWM8 on the roof using both KD ouputs as inputs to the SWM8. Then plugging the existing coax(s) into 2 of the outputs. I'm assuming the other outputs would need to be terminated.
Then just mount the power inserter as a pass through to the DVR on the main TV.

Just checking, then the bedroom receiver does NOT need a PI? Just the straight coax from the roof mounted SWM8 (which is getting its' power from the DVR PI.
Would this setup enable 'whole home' viewing? Both receivers are whole home capable.
Tony Tait

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will need to take both dome outputs and connect them to the SWM8 switch inputs. You will then have a SWM1 and SWM2 output that you can connect to the existing coax cables. This would then allow you to install any number of various receivers/DVR's/Genie's in multiple locations with only one coax connection.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
That's what I plan to do. Take one of the King Dome output coax's and transfer it to the SWM 3. The SWM will be mounted right behind the Dome. After the existing coax enters the coach it will go straight to the PI and from there to an eight way splitter. Still plan to leave one coax connected to the Dome so I can use it as an auxiliary source. Probably never will.

Like everyone else, my greatest challenge is routing the internal coax cables from the main to the bedroom and the patio locations without interfering with my batwing wiring.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:

If they ever invent a dome (or any other roof mounted antenna) with dual SWM outputs, you will be able to do what you want with your current wiring.
No such thing as a dual SWM output and it's not necessary. You can take 1 SMW line and split it as necessary to up to 8 tuners (more depending upon the SWM LNB or SWM switch used).

A thought:

Could you permanently mount a waterproof box near the King Dome and put a SWM8 and PI in it? You would have to find a way to run 120v power to the PI. You would move the 2 coax cables from the antenna to the SWM8 outputs, and get 2 short coax cables to run from the antenna to the SWM8 inputs. That would do what you want and the only NEW wire would be the 120v line to the PI in the waterproof box.
You would never need to install a PI on the roof. The SWM8 is (usually) installed on the roof and the PI and 120V power is connected to one of the coax cables AFTER it enters the coach. The SMW8 switch is waterproof and if you already have wiring coming from the roof to the location the receiver (or receivers) are located you would not even need new wiring through the roof.