cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV moving service location

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
We fulltime and have DirecTV HD Genie and get East and West coast feeds and also receiving local spot beam coverage for local stations at our winter location in AZ. Have never called to have the service address changed so as to move the local station spot beam to our current location. Our billing address does not change.
Has anybody had problems calling them to have local spot beam changed when they move locations.
This never came up before as we moved so often didn't think to do it but next year we are going to be camp hosts for several months in Idaho.
I know Dish customers were used to calling to move spot beam but is DirecTV open to spot beam moves for local stations when on a mobile account?
I don't want to lose our both coast feeds for networks. Ya I know if it ain't broke don't call into customer service me thinks.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com
13 REPLIES 13

mike54
Explorer
Explorer
I call Directv to change my service address when I'm going to be in place 3 months or more otherwise I use the antenna for local channels and directv for the other channels
Mike
2005 dodge ram 3500 5.9 cummins diesel
2007 Montana 3500rl

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's correct. There is no charge for changing your locals with DirecTV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've never been charged for changing the DTV service address. But I'm told "You're a valued customer". :B
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do it twice a year. No $5 charge. Call the DirecTv number that is for โ€œmovingโ€ , it is a lot faster

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, I get all of those at no extra charge but I normally just keep my DNS in place as I am not in one place too long. Currently we are in NJ so my E. DNS is local. No need to change anything. There's no need to post any of the personal information on the bill, just the billing break down. However, it sounds as if I have offended you so, never mind! I really don't care what you think you are or are not getting.
On edit: I do, of course, pay for the DNS service.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
E/W DNS..??? So you get East/West feeds on ABC,CBS,etc and also get local channels wherever you park? You can be anywhere in a state and get local channels for news & weather on your DTV signal...Washington, Colorado, Minnesota at no extra charge...
No way will I post a copy of my bill for you and several thousand other people,,,I'm saying what I get and am very pleased
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bill, FYI Typo "they need to change the service address ONLY but do not change the service address". Know you meant don't change billing address.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's not both so I am still unsure what the charge says on your bill. I have E/W DNS and I still change locals without any charge. Could you post a picture of your bill? I like to see what you are being charged for. The equipment replacement fee makes sense but they would not roll both into 1 fee.

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
Normally, if you want ABC,NBC, CBS, etc. you get East/West coast feeds...but as I travel, I want local channels...Like Seattle channels when in Washington, Denver channels in Colorado or Phoenix channels when in AZ...that $5 fee switches off east/west feeds and allows me to get local channels even if I'm 200 miles from a major city...that $5 is also equipment protection if something shorts out or damaged due to storms, etc. Free replacement
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could you shows us what DTV is charging you $5 for? I have never been charged a fee to change locations and never heard of such a service fee being available.

JoeGood988
Explorer
Explorer
Have DTV, traveling for over 15 years. We have no house, full timers, we spend 6 months in different spots...when we arrive, I call DTV and have my service address changed to where we are. That way I get local channels where I'm parked...not east/west coast feeds. There is a fee of $5 per month for this service....well worth it
2003 3330 Jayco Legacy

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use the DirecTV website chat feature. Have the whole thing scripted out and start a chat session. Let them know that you are in an RV and have moved to this specific address for a vacation and they need to change the service address ONLY but do not change the billing address. Since you already have DNS, it's not worth doing while traveling but as you mentioned, when I am going to be in one location for months it's pretty nice.
We leave for NJ tomorrow and my DNS will also be my locals!

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
I think you're VERY right...if it ain't broke don't fix it. So....you've got everything but the networks? (ABC,NBC,CBS, etc?) ? If that's so...what I do (have done) when snowbirding (NJ-AZ, for instance) is simply put up my "batwing" and get the local network stations.

Everything I have (OTA TV, Cable, Sat) goes thru a passive switchbox...so I just push the appropriate button.

FWIW