cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dish Network Arbitration

az99
Explorer
Explorer
Did anyone else see the new notice Dish sent their customers? If you don't fill out a form and send it to them (which they will likely lose)you give up your right to a jury trial and being part of a class action.
28 REPLIES 28

az99
Explorer
Explorer
creeper wrote:
I was once on the winning side of a class action suit for MANY millions. I got a check for $1.25 and the lawyers got MILLIONS. Class actions are good for the lawyers .
What is the definition of a million lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?
A good start.

creeper
Explorer
Explorer
I was once on the winning side of a class action suit for MANY millions. I got a check for $1.25 and the lawyers got MILLIONS. Class actions are good for the lawyers .

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
az99 wrote:
BB_TX wrote:

They are not trying to take away anyone's rights.
Do you work for Dish Network? Or are you a politician?

Neither. You tell me what right they are taking away.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Robin1953 wrote:
gbopp wrote:
BB_TX wrote:
Unfortunate sign of our times.

Says it all. And it's probably only going to get worse. ๐Ÿ˜ž
And would anyone like to speculate as to why this becoming the norm? Think whiplash judgements back in the 60's as a history lesson.
I'll speculate. In my opinion this is brought about by the fact that defending a lawsuit is incredibly expensive. Lawyers know this, so they sue for frivolous reasons knowing that the party being sued is going to settle for a relatively small amount rather than spend the money going to court. Since this country has not embraced the "loser pays" civil proceedings that exist in many other countries, suing someone over nothing is a nothing to lose proposition. A binding arbitration agreement eliminates this.
I would love to see a system where the Judge/Jury could make determinations on who has to pay. My dream system would start with the party that is suing putting up a bond equal to the amount they are suing for. (it wouldn't be that expensive, since the bond company would review the facts of the case and decide it there was merit, it there wasn't any merit, they wouldn't issue the bond). At court the judge/jury could award like usual when the plaintiff wins, but if they lose, the Judge/jury would have three basic choices. They could say "this is a difficult matter and both sides had merit, therefore each side pays it's own fees", or they could say the defendant had no responsibility in the matter so the plaintiff must pay the defendants reasonable legal fees, or they make a third ruling which would be the case was frivolous and award damages to the defendant in an amount up to the amount the plaintiff was suing for. Any monies awarded the defendant would be paid from the bond, so they wouldn't have to go to court to collect. My plan would put an end to almost all the frivolous lawsuits from day one.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:

They are not trying to take away anyone's rights.
Do you work for Dish Network? Or are you a politician?

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
jackquontee wrote:

There has to be a reason they are trying to take away your rights.

They are not trying to take away anyone's rights. They are saying you should execute your right to either be part of the class action, or choose not to be part of the class action and take on the company on your own. You can't double dip and be part of the class action and still reserve the right to sue on your own if you are not happy with the first outcome.

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer

And that's the concern I have. Is there a lawsuit that they should probably be telling us about first, and then give us the option to opt out? Their approach is similar to disarming us first, and then waging some attack.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
az99 wrote:
afrescop wrote:
Where is this underhanded or shady?

By sending it in an email that 85% of the people ignore and by also knowing that 90% of those remaining 15% will not take the time and effort to print out a form and mail it in by certified mail to be sure they get it.

It is extremely underhanded and deceitful.

How is this underhanded and deceitful? And how are they taking away your rights? They are offering the individual the option of staying in the class action suit or opting out to pursue possible legal action on their own by hiring their own lawyer and filing their own law suit. Their choice. What is underhanded about a choice? The company has to have a method of moving in a timely manner. The vast majority of the people will not care enough to even read the notice. And of the ones who do, few will care enough to bother one way or the other. If they had to wait for everyone to respond, it would never happen. That is why everyone will be included unless they opt out by a certain defined date. The other option would be to have everyone automatically not be included in the class action unless they opt in. Then the vast majority would have to pursue legal action on their own, of which very very few would even consider. Which would be better in your opinion?

The only winners are the lawyers anyway, no matter which path you take.

az99
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
Where is this underhanded or shady?

By sending it in an email that 85% of the people ignore and by also knowing that 90% of those remaining 15% will not take the time and effort to print out a form and mail it in by certified mail to be sure they get it.

It is extremely underhanded and deceitful.

sljkansas
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't picked up my mail for a few days, what's going on with Dish Network? I found an Arbitration suits from 2 years ago about failure to pay minimum wage, so whats the scoop.
Steve & Linda
Son married (1 DIL, 3 granddaughters 1 grandson)
Daughter Married.
Miami Co. Kansas
2004 F350 CC dually 8ft bed 6.0 PSD
2009 Bighorn 3670RL
B&W under bed hitch with 18k companion hitch

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
Gonzo42 wrote:
Just got my notice about the arbitration. I'm going to opt out. I don't cotton to those companies that want to arbitrarily change a contract. What is a contract when one side can suddenly decide to change when the other side does not agree?

On the issue of Class Action Lawsuits. If your side wins, you will get a pittance as a settlement, such as a coupon for some small amount or a service or product you don't even want.

Most Class Action Lawsuits get the lawyers money (40% or so of the total) the rest gets divided up amongst the other participants. See my previous paragraph.

This is a bilateral contract. Both sides must agree to any changes. Dish sent notice of a change (contract modification). By doing nothing you are mutually agreeing to the change. You DO have the mutually agreeable option to opt out. Where is this underhanded or shady?

Stop turning over rocks to find nonexistent snakes.

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
Just got my notice about the arbitration. I'm going to opt out. I don't cotton to those companies that want to arbitrarily change a contract. What is a contract when one side can suddenly decide to change when the other side does not agree?

On the issue of Class Action Lawsuits. If your side wins, you will get a pittance as a settlement, such as a coupon for some small amount or a service or product you don't even want.

Most Class Action Lawsuits get the lawyers money (40% or so of the total) the rest gets divided up amongst the other participants. See my previous paragraph.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
People, this is not a Dish issue. Any time there is a class action suit against any company those involved have to make a decision to either go with the class action group of to opt out and go it on their own. Most people don't even care and will never respond for either. I couldn't tell you the number of such notices I have received over the years for similar actions that, although I was somehow involved in, I had no interest in pursuing. I have never responded, thus automatically putting me in the class action group (i.e. giving up my right to sue individually). At best I received some notice much later that I was to receive some minimal credit in future business. And no doubt the class action lawyers took their millions laughing all the way.

jackquontee
Explorer
Explorer
I received notice via email and the very first thing I thought was "****, I just started my Pay-as-you-go service and they're already thinking about screwing me." I don't believe in suing just for the sake of it but when a company sends you a notice proposing you give up your right to sue, and you haven't even filed a lawsuit, I'm of the opinion you better watch your back.