cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DISH TV changes satellite signals

markchioda
Explorer
Explorer
For anyone whose Dish reception stopped, it seems that Dish TV changed satellite protocols and the older KVH and Winegard antennas wont track the necessary satellites (mine is a KVH R6). They didn't tell anyone, manufacturers of the antenna's included. When I called DISH, they knew nothing, and after an hour or so the response was they can't do anything about it and we should leave feedback on their website. Apparently there is one person at DISH who is in the know about what happenbed, his name is Philip and his phone number is 540-394-2921. I haven't been able to get through to him to complain but I will keep trying. If it happened to you, you should call and complain. Or you could buy a new $2500 antenna...
56 REPLIES 56

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
The DISH Network changes are just the first to happen. In the next year or two DirecTV will drop all SD programming and go strictly HD, thereby making all dome type antennas useless.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
teeznu wrote:
Guess I should just "buck up" and get on with it. But, how would you feel if the industry made changes on a yearly basis at $600.00 to $1000.00 for service causing the system you just purchased one year ago to be worthless?

Ever bought something at full retail that went on sale the following week? These changes don't happen very often fortunately, but the enhanced technology change Dish is making has cost them millions for equipment and truck rolls to replace obsolete leased receivers and repoint dishes in areas where the SD locals are being dropped, plus the satellite uplink transmission changes needed of course. Obviously they feel it's worth the cost to retain existing and attract new subscribers. The relatively small number of mobile automated dish users like RV'ers and truckers affected likely isn't even a blip on their radar. I don't know just where DTV sits technology wise at this point, but I would think in not too much different of a situation as new technology is developed. Oh, and the computer you're reading this on was technologically obsolete before it left the factory... :E ๐Ÿ™‚
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
The "industry" didn't give anything away. Your tax dollars paid for the Government give away. I would feel bad if the industry made those kinds of changes on a yearly basis but, in this case, it is the first change of this type since satellite TV was released some 20+ (30+?) years ago.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps I'm looking at the situation thru skewed eyes. What I mean by that is over the past month, I've run in to many traveling individuals that are in the same situation as I'm in. My Winegard selfseeking satellite dish is nonfunctional any longer due to "Dish" changing something in their satellite signal programming. Winegard has told me the satellite system I have is not "up-gradeable". Therefor, I need to purchase a new system at around $600.00.
When Overhead Antenna made a change to "digital", the digital black boxes were given away free for a period of time. The industry didn't make anyone purchase anything. Guess I should just "buck up" and get on with it. But, how would you feel if the industry made changes on a yearly basis at $600.00 to $1000.00 for service causing the system you just purchased one year ago to be worthless?

alid
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Kingdome 9704-lp that not only needs the software update but also the card upgrade.

I called Kingdome and they told me that the new card is $412.00 but will sell me a VQ4500 for $304.00.

The new Vq4500 only uses the coax for power just plug it into my Dish VIP211k and it will work.
2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"

King_Controls
Explorer
Explorer
gmctoyman wrote:
Not to get a pissing contest going, but, my 1518 has been a PITA to get setup on Dish. Some times it just would not acquire the satellites, but once it did it worked fine. Worked fine at Branson, but the Springfield locals were only available in SD due to the Western arc change. Worked fine in Toad Suck, Arkansas this morning. This evening in Livingston, TX....nothing.

Does the VQ4500 frome King still work ?

The VQ4500 is unaffected by the changes made, and should still work. If you are still experiencing issues with your system, please call KING tech support at 952-922-6889.

Thanks

Chris Waples
Service Manager
KING

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Not to get a pissing contest going, but, my 1518 has been a PITA to get setup on Dish. Some times it just would not acquire the satellites, but once it did it worked fine. Worked fine at Branson, but the Springfield locals were only available in SD due to the Western arc change. Worked fine in Toad Suck, Arkansas this morning. This evening in Livingston, TX....nothing.

Does the VQ4500 frome King still work ?
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
My take on what? The old Dish antennas are dead due to changes at Dish (not the fault of the manufacturers as they could not have seen this coming at the time the antennas were built). This does not effect DirecTV reception. I think it's been hashed out pretty well but if you have a question, please let me know. I don't take PM's.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.

teeznu
Explorer
Explorer
So, Satellite Bill, what's your take on all of this?

(tried to PM you to no avail)
Stephen

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Pathway X2 to replace my GM1518 Carryout. Works well on Dish. That is the only Carrier it is designed for. As suggested above, I called Winegard. They confirmed that my GM1518 is trash regarding Dish network. They supposedly have a rebate program but offered only Pathway X1 and one other antenna. Both prices quoted were higher than I could get online so I opted to get a Pathway X2. It is all set up and at least at my S&B it works well.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, it is not.

METZCOOL
Explorer
Explorer
No, I was told those are ok. A quick call to winegard for the sure answer.

N6WT
Explorer
Explorer
I was planning on purchasing a new Winegard Pathway X2 - 2 Receiver Bundle from Dish in the next month. Is the Winegard Pathway X2 affected by this?
2015 Newmar Ventana 4002
2003 Jeep Rubicon O||||O
UPS Feeder Driver Retired
Ham call sign N6WT

greende
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, METZCOOL and thestoloffs.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72