cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ext. hard drive for Dish VIP211k?

GlennB
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an external hard drive to connect to my Dish VIP211k receiver to make it act like a VCR.

Do any of you have experience in this? If so, what brand/model of ext. hard drive do you recommend?
Thanks in advance,
Glenn
9 REPLIES 9

8_1_Van
Explorer
Explorer
Seagate just came out with a 4TB portable HDD.

1,583 Movies. One Drive
Your Entire Digital Libraryโ€”On Just One Drive
Your data is more essential than ever: movies, music, photos, professional projects and more. The Backup Plus Fast Portable Drive has the highest capacity of any 2.5-inch portable drive on the market, so you can take your entire digital library with youโ€”wherever.

4TB Backup Plus Fast Portable Drive

coloradoken
Explorer
Explorer
I received the VIP211Z a couple of days ago with the Winegard X2 package. It took THREE attempts to get DISH to activate the external hard drive option. First person said it didn't have that ability and disconnected from chat while I was looking for information. Second person (I contacted them by phone) said I did not need to do anything, it would just work. I explained that there was a one time charge of $40 dollars, and he said not to worry, it would work--it didn't. Third person asked me for the S/N of my hard drive, I told her that that didn't matter, as I should be able to use any compatible hard drive, so she transferred me to advanced technical support. They knew exactly what I was asking, and although it took some time, I at least left with a VIP211Z that now will record externally.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
jram116 wrote:
I just installed the WD mybook from Dish. It is the 2tb hard drive and works great. The only thing that I do not like is that if you are recording a show you cannot watch a different channel than what is being recorded.

If you have your OTA antenna connected to the 211k you can watch an OTA channel while recording a satellite channel, or record an OTA channel while watching a satellite channel.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

jram116
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed the WD mybook from Dish. It is the 2tb hard drive and works great. The only thing that I do not like is that if you are recording a show you cannot watch a different channel than what is being recorded.
2011 Ford F-350 DRW
2014 Fuzion 404 Chrome

mustangglp
Explorer
Explorer
I use a WD hard drive for mine we record movies at home so we can watch camping it works good except we exclusively dry camp with out hookups and it seems to use a lot of power. If I did it again I would try to find a drive that runs on 12 volts
So I did not have to run it thew an inverter .
Gary

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
This "WD MyBook AV DVR Expander" is one of the recommended drives in the Dish VIP211k manual. I have one for mine, and it works perfectly.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

grampachet
Explorer
Explorer
I just used, and am using at this moment, an old hard drive i had been using with my desktop in my office. This works very well.
2004 F-250 KIngRanch,CC,SB,SRW,4x4,V-10,3.73
2008 Montana 3000RK

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Get a WD Passport. Works fine.

p.s. I believe that the largest I have tried is a 500GB.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I bought mine as part of the dishformyrv.com package deal. It is a Toshiba 500 Gb. I think any external hard drive up to 1 Tb with USB connection and external 120 vac power will work.
Some have reported using a thumb drive successfully. Have not tried that.