cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting harder to aim Slimline SWM

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been aiming my Slimline dish (SWM) for years without as much trouble as I'm having now. I can move maybe 50 miles, where the settings don't change that much, but it can take a half-hour or more to find the 101.

I use the "test signal strength" screen where it shows the 2 Tuners on horizontal parallel lines. I position a Swift hitch camera in front of the screen and take the little receiver with me to the dish. The beeps are really helpful, but I don't always get those. That seems weird.

The zip code locator on the TV screen shows an azimuth of 141ยฐ, but my smartphone Satfinder pro says it's 154.9. That's a big difference.

And what about this... which side of the red marker is the actual elevation? I suppose it would be the left...or the middle?

Is it possible that Direct has tightened up the angle at which you find the 101? Anyone else having more trouble?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman
26 REPLIES 26

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was watching only recorded shows for a couple days while a wind storm blew through here and I took the dish down. I don't have any delay in watching recorded shows.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've seen something similar in that if the HR44 doesn't get a signal for some time it then can take a long time to recognize that the signal has become available. Like maybe it's in sleep mode. Maybe related if I power it up with no dish signal it takes a long time before recorded shows can be watched.

Never tried to quantify the above but there does seem to be some sleep or timeout mode involved.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today I got a glimpse of what *may* be affecting my system.

I set up my dish today, pointed at a known correct azimuth and elevation, and, hearing no beeps, started walking back to the coach to get my swift hitch camera. As I was walking back, the beeps started up.

Hmm.. ok, that's reasonable evidence that my receiver isn't responding as fast as it should. Perhaps that's because of something I did?

The situation was this: after the receiver booted up, I connected the coax to the dish, mounted and aimed the dish. Is that an improper way to do it? It's not my usual way.. everything is usually connected and then I fire up the receiver.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
buc1980 wrote:
I just wander what receivers you use with the slim line dish Genie?

Slimline dish Genie? What are you referring to? The dish (antenna)? The receiver (Genie)? or something else?
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
buc1980 wrote:
I just wander what receivers you use with the slim line dish Genie?

I used an HR24 until about 3 years ago and then the Genie HR44. Aiming one vs the other was no different.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
I just wander what receivers you use with the slim line dish. Genie HR54?
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not having any issues with aiming my Slimline dish. I use the signal strength screen from my receiver and a wireless baby monitor. I haven't noticed any difference in doing this and this is my 10th year. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
Fulltime since 2010

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Replace the LNB and if that doesn't work then the coax will definitely fix the problem as it clearly couldn't be the new dish - or could it?

We all just love the shotgun approach to fixing problems and even more so when someone else is charging us for the repair!

Bob

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
azrving wrote:
With all your money maybe you need an upgrade. ??
lol.. yeah maybe. I've always kind of enjoyed setting it up, especially those times when I put it up and it's on the signal already, just needing minor tweaking.

I don't understand why it's getting so much more fussy. I replaced the dish thinking the old one has taken too many falls. I guess the only other device it could be is the LNB.

It just seems like this stuff should either work or it doesn't.

Lol
I have to mess with you a little. Itโ€™s good to rack our brains and tinker with stuff to keep us going. I just wonder what it might be like when Im 78 and trying to call amazon or Verizon or apple tech support ??

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
If something has changed, it has changed in your setup or procedure.
And nothing has, except my age. It's a puzzler.

If you accept the fact that the satellite is in a fixed location and broadcasts a fixed signal to a fixed area of the US, I suspect that it is something on your end. The foldable arms are often problematic whether new or used.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
edatlanta wrote:
I think you are confusing magnetic north with true north.
Somebody might be, not me.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are confusing magnetic north with true north. In California there is a 13 degree east difference between magnetic and true north.
Ed
KM4STL

Fulltime since 2010

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
2oldman wrote:
My dish (foldable arm) is brand-new from tv4rv.
That doesn't eliminate a dish problem.....
It better!

Another possibility is that the receiver isn't responding to the signal as fast as it used to.. but so far that's not a reasonable guess. But getting the beeps only sometimes is weird.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2oldman wrote:
wires wrote:
LNB-less dish setups are cheap on the auction sites so I'd say give that a try.
I have. My dish (foldable arm) is brand-new from tv4rv.
That doesn't eliminate a dish problem but suggests LNB or coax or as you suggested a cockpit problem. :h

Bob