cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

HDMI cable splitter?

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
This might seem like a silly question, but is there such a thing? Our Dish receiver 211Z only has one HDMI output. I've got another TV I'd like to add to the bedroom of our trailer and I would just as soon not have to undo cable and re-route to the other TV each time. I might also want to watch TV on both at once (well, not me myself, but me watch one and my wife the other).
Me 1954, Nana 1954, Grandson 2003, Granddaughters 2005 & 2008
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
17 REPLIES 17

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
True, these are expensive but they surely are versatile. I eliminated a DirecTV receiver with one of these and take it on the road for the BR or outdoor tv. By the way, you can find them cheaper than Amazon.

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Be aware that not all HDMI splitters are equal at all. There are passive HDMI splitters that work sometimes, but my TV's reacted poorly to it. I never could get audio to both TV's .

If you get a splitter, make sure it's active, and that you aren't just splitting signal between ports and halving the output between the two as is don't with the passive splitter.

Good warning! Thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge. I am definitely not a techy kind of guy.
At this time, my Pay as You Go subscription has lapsed, so I can't try anything, but when I hook up again, I think I'll just try using a set of RCA connectors (red,white, & yellow) to send signal to the second TV and leave the HDMI cable routed to the main TV. There is a set of terminals for those on the back of the receiver. I'm not sure if the receiver will send a signal out of both types at once or not.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that not all HDMI splitters are equal at all. There are passive HDMI splitters that work sometimes, but my TV's reacted poorly to it. I never could get audio to both TV's .

If you get a splitter, make sure it's active, and that you aren't just splitting signal between ports and halving the output between the two as is don't with the passive splitter.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
Newegg
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
www.monoprice.com is your friend in the HDMI world. I would check Amazon, also.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

trnfla
Explorer
Explorer
I use a splitter with my Directv receiver purchased off ebay. I also purchased RF remotes so I could control the receiver from the other room. I believe all receivers can be programmed to work with a RF remote. Both cost less than $50 total.

Hope this helps.
Now 2004 Winnie Minnie 31C
Had 2007 Zeppelin 190 Hybrid,
1999 30' Dutchman Classic FW

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
HDMI splitter post

Very helpful. Thank you.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
ECOBULLET - I backed out haha... We have two separate problems to deal with...

I just run two RG cables from my dish head - one goes to the living room and the second one to the bedroom. Then use two SAT RCVRS and feed each TV with RGB video output connections.

The newer setups use autoswitching at the dish now I think where you can run several TV's off the same RG cable..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
HDMI splitter post
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Actually, Ebay is your friend for less than $20.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks RoyB and nylyon. I'm a cheapskate, so the wireless extender probably won't work for me, but I'm pretty sure I've got several sets of the VGA connectors lying around. Perfect resolution is not a requirement.

nylyon
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a splitter, but they do exist. They're not much money and will split the signal. I do have an HDMI switch which works quite well. The other option, although expensive is to have a splitter and wireless HDMI extender, no cables to run!
Karl, Liz, 3-kids and Pepper the puppy

2011 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 BHLT
2003 F-250 FX4 6.0 Powerstroke

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

EcoBullet
Explorer
Explorer
OK 2oldman, Google yielded an answer that there is such a thing, but the description of one of the products indicated it wouldn't work in some applications such as Direct-TV. My modified question becomes: What avenue is there for watching the same thing on 2 TVs from one DISH receiver? BTW, smarta$$ answers are not needed.