cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How about a homemade WiFi booster....

bobsue2
Explorer
Explorer
Did a quick search & didn't see anything...whats your thoughts on this contraption....looks interesting and since I already have most of the parts laying around....might be interesting to see how it performs in those isolated areas.....

WiFi Booster
2013 Key Largo
12 MegaCab 3500 DRW 4x4 18k Superslide 19.5 Michelin LDX-2
8 REPLIES 8

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
Hershey, I'm not sure what you are looking for when you ask for more info on my setup? If you mean config you can look on you tube for this N-range extender and there are numerous videos on how to set it up. Just look for the model number TL-WA830RE setup if you plan to purchase it or have it already. You can also go to their website for it. I hope I answered your question.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
I temporarily placed a Droid at the focal point of a satellite antenna. It did increase the WiFi signal quite a bit.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
ken07734 wrote:
I have the TP Link N range extender. I mainly use it for my AR Drone to get much better distance but it's great for the house or Campground to extend the wireless range,.
Can you supply more info on your setup?
I have the Flame 450 with DJI NAZA, GoPro and the wireless accessory for the GoPro. The GoPro's range is so short its pretty usless. Do you use the wifi for video or FPV?
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

ken07734
Explorer
Explorer
I have the TP Link N range extender. I mainly use it for my AR Drone to get much better distance but it's great for the house or Campground to extend the wireless range,.

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Here is one I built years back. It worked well, was compact and cheap to make. Other than some weak signals at campgrounds it was not used much anymore because of the lack of open networks so we stopped bringing it along. Wife got an iPad last year and now we just setup our own hotspot off that when needed.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a directional antenna.. mine is the "version 2"

verision one: Google; RV WI-FI Booster

Look for a PDF document you print out on heavy card stock, then paste Aluminum foil on one piece and drop it over the antenna on a wi-fi adapter with an antenna that sticks up.. Total cost under 10 cents.

If you want better gain.. go to www.amateurlogic.tv and downoad and watch Episode 3.

DO NOT mess with the antenna like George does (It's not needed) just drill the hole in the can as he does, Put a grommet in the hole and stick the antenna up inside the can, Secure them to a base (Scrap wood) and point and shoot.

There are many higher gain designs too.. Some folks have managed several miles using standard WI-Fi devices and very high gain antennas. (George and company cover some of those in later episodes I might add).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Directional antennas do help--but as Hershey said almost no one "leaves the door open" any more.

In a campground putting an omni directional antenna on the roof may help. A small 8db gain antenna hooked into an alpha stand alone wifi may work well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Nice application but:
Recently I turned my smartphone on to seek wifi signals while a friend and I were driving on an 80 mile stretch of road that was all farm land and had a lot of farm houses along the road. It was fun to watch wifi signals appear for a brief period of time and then go away as we traveled by the homes.
The other thing I noticed was that there was only two out of perhaps hundreds that were un-secured. I think most routers now come out of the box with secure settings and of course the users use them that way. I know mine is secure.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox