cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How can I get rid of Webroot?

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an HP laptop from Best Buy a couple years ago. They installed Webroot AV on it. (which they charged me for). I decided to use Windows Defender so I uninstalled Webroot. The name dropped off the uninstall list but it is still in my computer and every time I restart my computer it won't let me proceed without choosing to allow or disallow it to run. Does anytone know the secret for removing all of Webroot? When someone makes a program that won't allow it's removal, I have to wonder what other ulterior motives they have for it concerning my computer.

I went back to BestBuy and they wanted $150 to remove it and they are the ones that charged me to install it. That Geek squad thing is a joke.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity
11 REPLIES 11

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all you guys that helped here, especially downtheroad, for all your help and recommendations. Mission accomplished. No more pop up windows from Webroot when I restart.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
To Travelin2

Glad I was able to help.
Microsoft Defender is OK....but just ok. There are better ones out there.

Here is a list of 14 free ones. All are highly rated.
I like "Panda" for a couple of reasons (technical reasons) and have been running it for some time now...but any on the list are good. I sometimes uninstall one and try another.

Best Free antivirus....LINK
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
downtheroad, I got signed in and found the button to click for "Deactivate computer", but now rr2254545 made a comment that I will not have virus protection if I deactivate. I thought Microsoft Defender was everything a guy needs. Now That you have led me to the gate, I'm chicken to go through. Whats your thoughts?

I stand corrected Defender does it all
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad, I got signed in and found the button to click for "Deactivate computer", but now rr2254545 made a comment that I will not have virus protection if I deactivate. I thought Microsoft Defender was everything a guy needs. Now That you have led me to the gate, I'm chicken to go through. Whats your thoughts?
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Travelin2 wrote:
downtheroad, I do have an account but it will not display my computer, I just get a window that says "this key code already has an account" I don't know how to out-figure it.

Try logging in to your account Here>>>>>>>>Webroot Login Page.

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
rr2254545 wrote:
Defender is a malware program
Webroot is antivirus

Two different applications

Taking webroot off will expose you - better put something back on quick

I was led to believe that Defender did it all and Webroot was just paying for something I already had. Now I'm confused. Well, I haven't been able to shed the thing anyway. It's still on there and will be I guess till they decide when I don't need it.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad, I do have an account but it will not display my computer, I just get a window that says "this key code already has an account" I don't know how to out-figure it.

delwhjr, I could not find a resources tab anywhere on the Webroot site. I looked through support, no luck finding those files. I typed in those file names in the search bar and nothing. Everything is geared to selling me stuff but not getting rid of what I already have.

Thanks for trying to help you guys. I'm just not quite savy enough to wade through this with you, sorry. I guess us dummies just have to burn our computer every couple of years and start over.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
Defender is a malware program
Webroot is antivirus

Two different applications

Taking webroot off will expose you - better put something back on quick
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Go to the Webroot website and download two files from resources:
CleanWDF.exe
WRUpgradeTool
Run the first file and then do a restart.
Run the second file and restart.
If the computer will not let you run them , you will have to run them in Safe Mode.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
OK, thanks. I'm not sure if I created an account or not. I will see if I can get there.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
If you created an account with webroot....try this:

Do you have access to the MyWebroot Account Console? If you do, you might try logging in there and deactivating the computer.

Go to PC Security tab
Click on the computer if it is listed
Go to Advanced Options tab
Click Deactivate Computer.

Then restart your computer...

Let me know if this helped or worked.

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro