cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to Extend/Repeat/Boost Internet Connection?

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys, we are sharing WiFi with a home next to our trailer and would like info on how to boost the signal. We have full permission to use the HughsNet connection but just need what I have heard called a repeater??? Any help appreciated..
7 REPLIES 7

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the great responses...

Surviver76
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the great responses...

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I'm using WiFiRanger Core and SkyPro.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok, how about a multi-function box....

I will tell you how I've done Internet in this RV over the last dozen years.

I started with a LINKSYS Wireless game adapter (no longer made) which is kind of like a Wi-Fi "Modem" That is it connects to the HOST Wi-Fi but looks to stuff in my RV like a Cable Modem.. It fed a Common home router.. I've had 3 different makes.. I do not recommend Belkin (Which I'm using now) but frankly there is nothing wrong with 'em.

Recently,, I ordered an Umibuqitty Nano Station Loco M-2 (Just google Nanostation M2) I got the cheap one.. I suggest a better one, IT replaces the Linksys with only a couple of changes (Power is way easier to feed it,, that's the biggest change,, Plus a bit of "learning")

Setting it up takes a bit, since the docs suck, but I got it done.. Now where I am now I'm a bit far from the park router for the M-2 "The M might make it)

They have devices that can see for several miles provided a like device is at the other end of the link.. Less with common house routers

The path

Host ))))) Nano-station ====(Cat-5 I have 100')===Belkin router )))) Stuff in RV (Also cat-5 to some stuff)

Setting up
Access your router's config page, Set to static IP 192.168.1.anything between 1 and 255 EXCEPT 20.. (NOTE this i9s the WAN IP, not the LAN IP)

Go to 192.168.1.20 (The Nano-station) Override the security warning and log in (Ubnt is both user name and password) Go to WIRELESS
Click on SELECT next to the access point.. choose the one you want.
Click on LOCK TO AP
If a pre-shared key is needed enter it in the box near the bottom of the page under Security Type.
Click on CHANGE (Very bottom)
Click on APPLY (very top)
Click on MAIN.. You may need to re-laod a couple times for it to re-load.

You shoudl see a signal bar, If needed you can adjust the antenna direction a bit to make the bar stronger.

Now go back to your router config and select DYNAMIC IP

And that.. Should be.. That.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Boosters are more about keeping a connection active than about increasing speed. If there is an adequate signal without the booster--it may be faster than with the booster on.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
The best you will be able to do is 'boost' your WiFi signal to the main source and your internet speed is then dependent on the source internet speed.

For example, I have Xfinity cable internet in my house. It's the 100 mbps package.. I get pretty much that speed on my desktop that's connected with a cat 5e cable to my WiFi firewall that's connected directly to the cable modem.

On my laptop, and the desktop computer I have setup for Amazon Prime in my TV room, that's connected via WiFi, it only gets a fraction of that speed...

It's about 50' away with a couple of walls inbetween .. My computers say I'm connected to WiFi at 130mbps, but when I do speed tests on the WiFi computers, I'm lucky to get around 20 mbps speed rate. On the desktop that's connected directly to the firewall, it's over 95 mbps.

Anyway, I'm working on hard wiring my Amazon Prime computer in the TV room, but to be honest, I can still stream full HD video on the WiFi setup... So, it's not been on the top of my project list... ๐Ÿ™‚

But, if you have a lousy WiFi connection, your speed will reduce accordingly..

Good luck!

Mitch

On Edit, I know that if I'm streaming on the Amazon Prime computer, using WiFi, and I'm on the laptop, say on a remote desktop connection to work, my laptop connection is a lot slower than normal..

I've even noticed if the microware oven is running, my WiFi connection goes down...

Just saying that WiFi is not the same as being hard wired to your modem..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I'm currently using this device: https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-Extends-Devices-RE200/dp/B00NR2VMNC/ref=sr_1_9?s=pc&ie=UTF8&...
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.