cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Internet & satellite tv for full time 5er

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We're still thinking it over, but we might sell our house & trade in our Class C on a 5er and full time.
We would add at least 1000 watts of solar to the roof and plan on boondocking at least 50% of the time (we like elbow room).
Looking for suggestions for internet, we have Verizon mifi which slows WAY down after 15 GBs of data usage. Anything else out there?
For satellite tv, we assume we would need to purchase a Wineguard (or equivalent) motorized dish and have it mounted on the roof. Pros and cons on Dish or DirecTV. Receiving the Big 3 networks and/or local channels?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
20 REPLIES 20

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
I like DirecTV and the Trav'ler for my service (full time for over 20 years). However, I can only get locals via the OTA TV antenna. With DISH you can sign up for some kind of mobile account and they will move your locals as you move around. I believe you can still use the DISH app to do this as well. We have a grandfathered AT&T plan and get unlimited 4G for $23/month so we haven't tried any of the others. We can use our phones as hotspots as well when in good T-Mobile service areas. Each phone has 15GB of service but that could be bumped up for cheap if necessary.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
RickLight wrote:
I've found the best advice comes from those who do the real world testing and in depth research to become experts.

rvmobileinternet.com has both free and paid help.

Thanks for the link, Rick.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
The Playmaker looks like a good idea if you sometimes encounter tree issues with where the RV is parked since it is portable.
We currently have the Hopper 3 and 2 "Joey" receivers. The trav'ler looks like a better option for us as it will pick up 3 satellites simultaneously and would be compatible with our current house system.

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've found the best advice comes from those who do the real world testing and in depth research to become experts.

rvmobileinternet.com has both free and paid help.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You can get a Winegard Dish Playmaker antenna with a Dish Wally receiver for as little as $329. That's what we use.

Dish Combo

I have the Dish Rv Travl'er and love it...

As far as wifi, I use Calyx Institute. No throttling, truly unlimited... Been using it a few years now and its been awesome...
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet