cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kindle Fire HD/ Nexus 7

Denny___Jami
Explorer
Explorer
I'm comparing the two and I will admit I don't know a whole lot about tablets. The one big question I have is can I download Google Chrome onto the Kindle Fire HD the Nexus comes wit it and that's what I use for a browser. The other question I have is the Kindle doesn't come with a wall charger but I have a mini USB charger for my phone so will that work for the Kindle.

Denny
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears Air Lifts
2003 HitchHiker Premier 35FKTG 215/75/17.5 Goodyear G114 Tires
24 REPLIES 24

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
You may also want to check out the Barnes & Noble Nook HD+. Barnes & Noble is getting out of the tablet business and is closing out the HD+ starting at $149. Nook HD+

If they are closing them out, what about support and updates? Sometimes saving a buck makes it obsolete in no time compared to a brand that is staying on the market and will continue to have upgrades to download.

I have a Kroy tablet that is just like that, junk in the drawer, no longer supported.
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
You may also want to check out the Barnes & Noble Nook HD+. Barnes & Noble is getting out of the tablet business and is closing out the HD+ starting at $149. Nook HD+
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Hands down Nexus 7. We have four in our family!
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

brobox
Explorer
Explorer
DW has the Kindle Fire, it a great reader, but only OK as a Tablet. The Nexus 7 is a nice tablet that has the Kindle Reader app. For versatility I think the Nexus would be a better choice. JMO.
Chuck
02 Travel Supreme, 2 street side slides
09 Toyota Tacoma 2WD

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
1492 - If you gave me a test on computer jargon I would certainly flunk, no question about it.

I thought Bing and Google Chrome were both referred to as browsers. But I am usually wrong on that stuff.

That's why DW has both a new Kindle and an Apple, plus her Dell laptop and I am still using a six-year HP laptop with a broken "W" key that keeps falling off.

JRS & B wrote:
I forgot, Bing is better than Chrome.

Bing is a search engine? Chrome is browser? Did you mean Google? :h

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot, Bing is better than Chrome. Try it, you will like it. Just my humble opinion.

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
I personally do not own either one, BUT, DW has both a Kindle, and just recently received an Apple as a gift. The Apple costs at least 3 times as much as the Kindle, and is turning out to be three times harder to learn.

Based on our experience, I can at least advise that the Kindle is user friendly.

therink
Explorer
Explorer
The Nexus 7 will give you much more flexibility IMO. I am currently camping and just finished watching a movie via Netflix on my Nexus. With the Kindle, you are limited to use the Amazon apps, unless you Root it (workaround to get Google apps available on the Google market).
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible to install the Chrome Browser on the Kindle Fire HD but you have to jump thru a few hoops to do it (do a web search on side loading apps). The weakest link in the Kindle Fire HD is the fact that you only have access to the Kindle App store which is only a subset of the much larger Google Play Store.

The Kindle Fire HD comes with a charging cable that can be used to plug into USB ports on wall warts, laptops, etc... but some ports may not supply enough current to charge or may charge slowly. You can buy a charger that works with the cable for an extra $20. I would just figure in that extra cost.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here