cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

LCD's and cold weather

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
For you folks in the cold, northern climates........ when you winterize your RV's for winter storage, do you remove your LCD TV's and move them inside or can they just be left in the RV without damage?
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude
14 REPLIES 14

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the feedback!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never have seen an RV dealer around here remove the televisions from all the units on their lots. No issues for them so that's good for me too.

Dyngbld
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about it. The LCD will "slowdown" when it is really cold. Look at your GPS, XM, cell phone left in the car overnight in the cold. I have never had one freeze and crack.
http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e7bd775c-4d1e-46d4-850d-e014153937be

spanielrage
Explorer
Explorer
Have left it past 3 years. And we live in Canada!
2008 Jayco JayFeather 19H
2012 Ford F150 XLT EcoBoost MaxTow SCrew w/XTR Package

wingsfan20
Explorer
Explorer
Liquid freezes. don't you know. Not a problem at all.
Jim :W
2007 Silverado 3/4 LTZ Crew Duramax/Allison
2008 Keystone Cougar 311RLS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Never had a problem with the LCD I put in in 2005 till last winter (It died, of old age) and for the first four years this puppy wintered in Detroit, MI.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Hoosier_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
Ours has been stored at 8 to 12 degrees with no problems. By the time we travel a day, the coach has warmed to a reasonable temperature to be able to turn the TV on when we stop for the day. Outside temp was 14 and that night got down to 11, still no problems.
Hoosier Cruiser

camr
Explorer
Explorer
We take ours out for two reasons. -35 just can't be good for anything. Plastic, circuit boards, solder joints. Temperature swings cause condensation. (Remember the days of metal fuel tanks?) and secondly, the electronic equipment is a whole more difficult to steal if it's in your house as opposed to in your RV. It takes less than 5 minutes to take out our two TV's, so I consider that to be a good cost effective insurance policy.
A tip for anyone removing a TV with more than a couple of hookup cables: take a photo of the back of the TV before removing the cables. It makes it a whole lot easier "remembering" how to hook it up next year.
Cam, Heather and Mallory Aussie (Austalian Shepherd)
2011 F-250 PSD, traded on-
2014 RAM 3500 DRW
Curt 24K hitch
2015 Mobile Suites RSB3
2015 Eagle Cap 960 camper

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Do you take the LCD out of the dash of your car in the winter time? Didn't think so. They do not freeze! Leave them alone....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
NAV screens survive just fine in autos.

lcd freeze 2009
LCD cold 2012
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have never had and freezing problem with ours - I don't like to run the TV however if the inside temp is below 40 or so. I also will plug in my TV and let it warm up a couple of hours before turning it on if I have had it unplugged in cold places...

They all seem to survive the transport trucks when being shipped around the county during the winter months... At least I have never heard of one cracking a screen etc..

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

lynnwood91
Explorer
Explorer
We take ours in. Don't trust freezing LCD.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
We leave it in the RV.

same for 3 years
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

K_Charles
Explorer