cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lost two local TV channels, options?

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
OK guys I need some quick advice. We lost our local ABC and CBS stations due to a fight between Dish and somebody. I have figured out a way to get cbs, but cannot get abc. Saturday is the Clemson/Norte Dame game. Naturally it is on abc.

We have fiber optic internet and dish. Dish offers no help anything I can do with the fiber optic or something else? I donโ€™t really want to sign up for a whole new service for one game, but would consider a one month trial. I also have an Amazon fire stick which might have internet and we have one internet capable tv. Ideas pls.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley
23 REPLIES 23

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Johno02 wrote:
Do you have any antenna on your rig?? A Sensar IV should reach something depending how deep you up the gulley.

Sensars and any other RV antenna are a pretty poor choice for any OTA reception unless you can physically be within 20 miles of the station transmitter antenna and there is no trees, hills or buildings in the way..

RV antennas by their nature must be small and compact, small and compact does not lead to any "gain", they are basically nothing more than a Dipole with a small preamp.. Dipoles have very minimal gain and then that weak signal is put into a pream which not only amplifies the noisy signal but adds it's own noise to party..

Garbage in = Louder Garbage out.

But, yes, the OP needs to try the OTA for local channels, they can try a piece of wire, rabbit ears, expensive amplified rabbit ears or instead of wasting money on junk just go buy some sort of external antenna similar to the one I showed.

But MAKE SURE that the antenna IS not a small UHF only one, those are junk in most TV markets since the last channel repack.. The last repack many stations actually moved back onto not only VHF High band but also the VHF LOW band (old analog 2-6) frequencies and a UHF only antenna will do a poor job picking up those channels.

I check my DISH channels and my local OTA broadcasters CBS, ABC,NBC)are still on my Dish so if there is a dispute, it is with the OPs REGIONAL STATIONS. OP NEEDS to CALL their local stations and tell them they are not happy with the dispute..

Local stations have gotten more and more greedy since they view cable cos and sat co as an extra revenue stream..

They ALL sell commercials which is where they get their revenue, don't be so greedy. When you turn off the cable or sat feeds in a dispute, now you are NOT getting any revenue stream so whats the difference?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about watching the game at a neighbor's that can get the station?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have any antenna on your rig?? A Sensar IV should reach something depending how deep you up the gulley.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
How about an antenna and watching the OTA broadcast - or are you so far up a holler you have to pipe in the sunlight?

Rob

Use TVFOOL to find the stations nearest to you, it will give you distance and signal maps and more.

There are other signal maps out there that may be better but you should be able to get an idea if there is a OTA broadcast near you..

Barring that..

Something likes this should handle most station within 50 miles of you..

WINEGARD HD8200 for $150

full-timer
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a firestick you can get it. You do have to have internet.
Just go into you tube search and search for "how to get network stations on firestick".
An Indian and a Gypsy

Joe and Nancy
2002 34 foot Georgetown double slide Ford V-10
towing 2004 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 Down

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you are within 30-40 miles of the broadcast towers (maybe a little farther on flat terrain, or less if hilly/mountainous) just buy an amplified indoor antenna. Did that last time Dish fight over our locals.

jcpainter
Explorer
Explorer
georgelesley wrote:
OK guys I need some quick advice. We lost our local ABC and CBS stations due to a fight between Dish and somebody. I have figured out a way to get cbs, but cannot get abc. Saturday is the Clemson/Norte Dame game. Naturally it is on abc.

We have fiber optic internet and dish. Dish offers no help anything I can do with the fiber optic or something else? I donโ€™t really want to sign up for a whole new service for one game, but would consider a one month trial. I also have an Amazon fire stick which might have internet and we have one internet capable tv. Ideas pls.

Free Trial: Free Trial

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Get a good over the air antenna. I can watch on both satellite or OTA in most locations at my choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
How about an antenna and watching the OTA broadcast - or are you so far up a holler you have to pipe in the sunlight?

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015