cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

MiFi and huge data draw

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
Using a Verizon MiFi hotspot and suddenly am having HUGE amounts of data being used. No videos, no games, no streaming, no online voice even. In 30 minutes has used over 1.2 Gb while I am reading emails and accessing a very small number of websites.

Always use a good security program and ran a scan - nothing. Did a Spyware check - zero. Cleaned caches, cleaned temp files. All give no answers. Have had data spikes over 6 gb and 2.2 gbs all in short times and generally using mostly my Comcast email account.

I cannot think of anything else to do. Am replacing the hotspot in case it is faulting. Verizon was pretty unable to assist in three tech calls. Sigh.

Any ideas of what has changed?? I have used a hotspot for over three years............. my internet habits have not changed. Just the data being used is now unreal!!! I need internet access on the road and this has always worked before. HELP!!!
53 REPLIES 53

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
To answer above Q - Yes, the Jetpack has a 'use meter' right on it. A little 'clicky touch' and it tells you current use.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
kirbybear wrote:

I currently use NetWorx to monitor my data usage and I am thinking of going to a ChromeBook OS, but I have not found a App/Extension for ChromeBook OS that will monitor data usage.

I don't know anything about ChromeBook OS, but if it uses the Chrome browser you will need to be careful. When Chrome is running, even if it's minimized, it is constantly downloading updated data from EVERY web site you might want to view. It's designed this way so that they can claim its' speed advantage over other browsers by ensuring that any web site data you might need is always up-to-date.

When I tried using Chrome a few months ago my data usage through my Verizon 4510 went from an average of 9.5 GB per month to over 11 GB. When I went back to Firefox my data usage went back down to under 10 GB per month.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

kirbybear
Explorer
Explorer
catkins You indicated the newer Verizon JetPacks show how much data has been used. I have a 4510. Are you using a JetPack that shows data usage, if so what model?
I know you can go to Verizon website and retrieve the data usage.

I currently use NetWorx to monitor my data usage and I am thinking of going to a ChromeBook OS, but I have not found a App/Extension for ChromeBook OS that will monitor data usage.

Perhaps a newer JetPack might do just that. Thanks Bob

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
Yes "monkey44" that is true, but there are some Jetpacks shipped that have failed. Verizon uses the "data usage" taking place at the unit, which can be quite a bit more than shown getting to your computer.

I would think a customer could use the total amount of data used at the computer (if they have an APP set up to track it).

But; here's the rub. They will most likely claim you have other devices also connected through "Wifi" also using the internet to make it harder for you to argue about the amount of data used.

You are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place when this happens.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We had a couple months overage, last month 9g instead of usual 5g, so we asked Verizon in investigate ... no response yet.

BUT, talked to the tech guy in the area and he says W8 uses a huge amount of data as it updates constantly. I shut off most of the "tiles" and other updates, we're a back to under 5g this month.

Since I bought W8, all my data use has increased - so, one issue with W8, you all need to watch the updates if you're on a hotspot.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
catkins wrote:
OP update:
Received a new Jetpack and have been using it without incident. Data usage is now what I consider normal for me. Now I will say I am watching like a hawk and shutting down programs so they can't run in the background any longer and have auto-updates turned off for Windows. I was NOT seeing the normal installation message on shutdown and do not believe this caused my three huge spikes. I firmly believe that the previous MiFi was faulting. It always worked kind of weird from the get-go over a eyar ago but the huge spikes were new.

Verizon techs were pleasant and tried but did little to resolve this issue until the third call. I opted to get a new Jetpack as I was desperate to get back online for work! The local library was not a good option........

THANKS to all for your thoughts here. I will refer back and try some of the final "fixes" if I see spikes again. Hopefully this is finished and behind me!!

I did not see it mentioned earlier, but a bad Jetpack would have easily caused excessive down-loading.

Any up-dating, or other down-loads for that matter, would continue to keep retrying failed down-load packets and "bit checking" which would amount to many times the normal Megabytes being billed to you before the down-loads completed.

They should have also adjusted you bill to the average amount used in billed when working correctly. I assure you that they know what's going on with some of these Jetpacks that have failed (or the actual manufacturer of the unit supplied to them).
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree Dick. The newer Jet Pack seems much better and I like that I can check the data usage right on the jpack. Fingers crossed but back at work and a happier camper! Thanks again all who responded with assistance.

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
I also received another JetPak and installed it. Everything seems stabilized now. What I did notice right away is the new one hasn't lost signal since I installed it. Old one would lose signal at least 4 times within 4 or 5 hours of usage. Right in the middle of surfing. So far am happy with the new one.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP update:
Received a new Jetpack and have been using it without incident. Data usage is now what I consider normal for me. Now I will say I am watching like a hawk and shutting down programs so they can't run in the background any longer and have auto-updates turned off for Windows. I was NOT seeing the normal installation message on shutdown and do not believe this caused my three huge spikes. I firmly believe that the previous MiFi was faulting. It always worked kind of weird from the get-go over a eyar ago but the huge spikes were new.

Verizon techs were pleasant and tried but did little to resolve this issue until the third call. I opted to get a new Jetpack as I was desperate to get back online for work! The local library was not a good option........

THANKS to all for your thoughts here. I will refer back and try some of the final "fixes" if I see spikes again. Hopefully this is finished and behind me!!

MrWizard
to stop the ads from being downloaded
use a proxy 'program' that redirects the web url call to a null/blackhole IP address
you can also 'edit' the 'HOSTS' file on the pc adding these blackhole/null call redirects
thats what the proxy programs do redirect to the HOST filr list which has been edited to send them to the blackhole
Some of the ant-malware programs have this function
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Jumping here late - but same thing for me. Can't figure it out, except as updates keep using my data. Tried everything to shut them off, but soon will revert back to Wdw7 and see. Mine started happening as soon as Wdw8 began. Not sure if it's that, but will find out -

Otherwise, my best guess is continuous updating of every toy program and app known to man.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

jhilley
Explorer
Explorer
That is a good point. Has anyone used Ad Trap? Again I guess it wouldn't keep the ads from going through the modem.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G F53 Chassis Solar Power
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C F53 Chassis Solar power
Handicap Equipped with Lift & Hospital Bed
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade

ReadyToGo
Explorer
Explorer
Even if you have ad blockers on, they don't necessary stop the download to your browser. What most do is block it from appearing on your computer. In other words, the download is still happening and going through your router to your computer.

MrWizard
access to firewall "allowed apps" permissions

click on picture for full size view

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s