cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking a Battery Monitor.............

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I've completed my upgrade to my Solar System (There is a thread on "Do it yourself Modifications) Thinking(after the fact of course)that I should have considered a Battery Monitor in the upgrade, or at least preparations for such an install.

I know very little about battery monitors except that most experienced boon dockers with solar recommend them. I don't see any reason to try and take a low rent route to get this done and end up with an iffy unit that works her and there or not at all.

I hear the Morning Star unit is kind of the standard. I also hear some pretty good things about Victron.

So:
1. I assume a shunt needs to be installed some where on the negative near the battery bank. I've seen the pic's of one and it looks pretty straight forward to install. Is the shunt the sending info to a "brain" then bluetoothing to the little round read out on a Victron? How would I size the shunt? We only use 12v. No inverters. The only high draw item we have is the furnace. How close or far from the batteries is acceptable to install the shunt. Should it be very easily accessible? Meaning, is there a reason to view it regularly?

2. I have Samlex PWM 30a controller, will a Victron or Morning Star work with that controller? I looked in some installation info and reading material and that info doesn't seem be very forthwith as of course they are hoping one uses their charge controller.

3. In order to have Bluetooth connectability for monitoring does there have to be a "base unit hardwired somewhere that the iPhone can snag the signal?
Is that what I'd be doing by installing a shunt with the wiring going to the hard wired battery monitor?

4. Maybe there is a good link to send me to that has "battery monitors 101"?

5. How accurate are the lower priced units using a "hall" sensor? I mean.....those are $40.00 and the Victron is $200.00, seems like a lot of $$$$ left on the table if they do the same thing. Do they provide the same data with the same level of accuracy?

Thanks!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!
23 REPLIES 23

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
@Craz z
Good post, I bought the cheap $40 Kisae capacity monitor and it works good for my purposes but if I where to do it again I'd buy the Victron bmv 712.
The base of the Kisae is made of I think acrylic and when tightening bolts the acrylic will crack , I was warned about this and still cracked mine.
The base of the Victron 712 looks much stronger.
Just thought I'd share that.
Thanks for posting

craz_z
Explorer
Explorer
1) Shunt is required for a "good battery monitor" Hall effects work fine but require manual monitoring if your electrical bay is in a difficult place putting in a manual monitor will be difficult to use. I'm sure you can extend the wiring to place things where you'd like but Bluetoothing is the way to go for convenience.

2) Battery monitors are their own system within the system you don't have to be married to any brand of controller some may talk better within their own systems but certainly not necessary.

3)Bluetooth is great as you dont need to waste time putting your monitors in a place that is accessible and useable to be able to see whats going on from the battery monitor. signal is usually good for a 10-15 foot circle around the rv. Victron connect password is 000000 this will connect you to their devices immediately on startup.

4) Battery monitors are a pretty quiet usually misunderstood piece to the electrical puzzle, but absolutely essential to fully understanding and Knowing instantly if you have a battery problem.

There is no one place to learn but this is where I would start.
solar

Solar education is ongoing and I started with Bob the solar guy and have moved on to Wills stuff that is pretty rock solid along with other forums including Wills to understand everything that is going on. 4-6 years ago trimetrics was all there was minus the marine market for rvs that is slowly changing.

5)Low cost hall effects and the picture above in the post of the Chinese BM are low cost for a reason. They do not bluetooth and require alot of chineglish to setup and get working correctly. They also require Manual monitoring to see whats going on. some not all dont record your day to day and only spot check whats happening right now. Its a hard pill to swallow but you did want the best and the bmv712 with bluetooth is it right now.

My own personal opinion is I wish I was doing my system today rather then 6 years ago when I started. Like em or hatem Victron solar controllers and all their gadgets like the bmv 712 and low voltage disconnect all registering in a nice handy little app on a smart phone is unparalleled with any other brand on the market. The data these provide is unreal its on demand its programmed with your fingers and you can switch to lithium as you wish without any further purchases.

My morningstar charge controller required a special cable that i had to rip out the bed to get to my controller and custom program the dip switches then download a program to program the custom settings that i had to sit and watch until i fine tuned it for several days with a laptop for lithium the Victron once installed is all done in the app.
To my knowledge Morningstar does NOT have a battery monitor only a small feature on the remote solar controller monitor that records AH in that is manually resetable for the day and TOTAL ah Only available with the higher end solar controllers. MSVIEW was a easy program to learn but the victron is a million times easier doing it on the PHONE APP!

Voltage based monitoring in solar applications is NOT accurate at all. Especially when the sun comes out and having no idea amp hours coming and going you can only rely on amp hours harvested through the morningstar remote meter to guess whats going on with actual SOC. Especially with SLA's or FLA's lithium is a little more accurate as they have little to no internal resistance.

All RV's with batteries are never fully disconnected from the load unless you pull the disconnect switch and wait 24 hours for the static charge to dissipate to find out your "real SOC" for this reason alone voltage based battery monitoring is a waste of time, but it is light years ahead of the really crappy 4 lights of death the rv manufactures put in.

Aside from super expensive highend marine monitors like the rv Tito one or the old school bogart trimeteric monitor the Victron is the lowest cost one.

If you dont care but want to dabble or on a low budget then the cheapy chinese BM or even the Hall effects will serve a better purpose then voltage monitoring your batteries. be prepared to spend time to learn how they work as the cheap droks monitor one way and you have to have 2 to monitor both ways in and out.

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I have to say that this looks like the Mercedes of Battery Monitors:
SiMarine Pico and a
Vblog on it DIY with Tito

Some of its features are nice but for example the fuel tank level and water tank level is making stuff more complicated then it needs to be .
I can visually look at my water tank and tell how much water is in it without using electricity.
I can do the same for my diesel tank that's for my heater.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have to say that this looks like the Mercedes of Battery Monitors:
SiMarine Pico and a
Vblog on it DIY with Tito
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Hall Sensor battery monitor.
No shunt needed. Keep it simple.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My simple voltmeter works fine to display the situation.
As long as I see 14.2+ volts at some point I know I am good for 24 hours.

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Victron 712. I also use one of their 100/30 solar controllers. A great combination.

Hammerboy
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
odenwell wrote:
Bluetooth is bad? That's a bold assertion. My Victron with Bluetooth works great.
x2. Things you don't like or can't afford are 'bad.'

Don't think bluetooth effects accuracy at all as it's just the "messenger" to your device.

Dan
2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Vintage465 wrote:

I know very little about battery monitors except that most experienced boon dockers with solar recommend them. I don't see any reason to try and take a low rent route to get this done and end up with an iffy

I would bet most boondockers don't use one, and I assure you that you don't need one for a successful solar plant. But if you want one, carry on.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Vintage465 wrote:
I also hear some pretty good things about Victron.

I just finished installing my second Victron BMV-712

I LOVE THEM BOTH! (yes, I have two of them, one in each RV.)
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
I added the pictures above , Thanks BFL
I forget to say that there's electrical connectors glued to the top of the box using goop .

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=2
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Mobilesport
Explorer
Explorer
I just got done building this , it's a Kisae capacity monitor and a ammeter that i mounted in a box ,
The capacity monitor is extremely helpful showing me my state of charge % , it does other things too but I never need them other features, the digital ammeter that is mounted in the top of the box is barely used but i occasionally look at my amp draw .

Edited to add pictures,,, Thanks for showing me how to post pictures BFL

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
I recommend the Trimetric.