cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

My new comcast xfinity triple play can't connect tablet

doxielvr
Explorer
Explorer
I just switched from Verizon Fios bundle to Comcast. I was able to connect my tablet and my computers to internet with Verizon but with Comcast I cannot get connected on my tablet. The message says authentication problem. Can someone please tell me how to correct this. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

strollin
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like somehow the security settings for the tablet have been set to require a pin number to be able to get past the lock screen of the tablet. This has nothing to do with your new router/internet service.

Does the screen look something like this?

If this is the case and you do not remember the pin number, you'll need to do a factory reset which usually involves pressing & holding one of the volume buttons when powering up the device.
Me, her, 2 boys & 2 girls
'05 Chevy 2500HD LT 4x4, D/A
Reese Dual Cam HP
'04 Wilderness Advantage 290FLS
Twin Honda 2000s

"I'd rather wear out than rust out!"

See our pics here

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxielvr wrote:
A little more detail.......after seeing the authentication problem when trying to connect by using the ssid and the network security key...I've turned off the tablet and reset. Turned it back on and now I have a new screen that is similar to a phone dial, with the #1-0 and the abc's. There is an OK button at the bottom and at top it wants me to type something in. I took the tablet to Best Buy for help and the geek told me I needed to punch in 4 numbers for the secure password. I have no idea what numbers I need. The info I have when I set it up does not include 4 numbers. Comcast rep. told me I need to get that into the tablet before she can help me to connect. Sorry this is not a quick reply! Any ideas, please.

Have your Comcast rep walk you through DISABLING the Wifi security. They will need to have you log into the Router and go through some screens in order to temporarily disable the WPS security.

THEN attempt to connect your Tablet.

This should allow your Tablet connect since the WiFi is now open.

Once you have that working then you can attempt to set the WiFi to secure and use the WPS button on the top of the Router...

The problem is your Table just may not play well with WPS and you may need to use a less secure method.

Your COMCAST REP IS SUPPOSED TO HELP YOU DO THIS. MAKE THEM HELP YOU or tell them you are canceling your account.... This is really stupid that the home owner has to do this alone.

doxielvr
Explorer
Explorer
A little more detail.......after seeing the authentication problem when trying to connect by using the ssid and the network security key...I've turned off the tablet and reset. Turned it back on and now I have a new screen that is similar to a phone dial, with the #1-0 and the abc's. There is an OK button at the bottom and at top it wants me to type something in. I took the tablet to Best Buy for help and the geek told me I needed to punch in 4 numbers for the secure password. I have no idea what numbers I need. The info I have when I set it up does not include 4 numbers. Comcast rep. told me I need to get that into the tablet before she can help me to connect. Sorry this is not a quick reply! Any ideas, please.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxielvr wrote:
My tablet is the Best Buy brand Insignia android ice cream sandwich. Please tell me where on my computer do I find the settings and mode for authentication method for the tablet? I did a search on Google for this problem and a lot of folks had a similar problem and were told they needed a separate wifi router. The light on the front of my Comcast SMC router for wifi is not lite. Does that mean it's available but not connected? My last resort is to call Comcast but I don't think they have an 800 # anymore. The tech told me I'd have to pay for calls to them for help!

PER HERE
Our agents are available by phone 24/7. 1-800-XFINITY (1-800-934-6489)

COMCAST INTERNET HELP AND SUPPORT PAGE

COMCAST INTERNET HELP FORUMS

MORE COMCAST INTERNET SUPPORT

Doesn't seem to be a problem to find Comcast 800 number or their website...

Explorer
Explorer
doxielvr wrote:
My tablet is the Best Buy brand Insignia android ice cream sandwich. Please tell me where on my computer do I find the settings and mode for authentication method for the tablet? I did a search on Google for this problem and a lot of folks had a similar problem and were told they needed a separate wifi router. The light on the front of my Comcast SMC router for wifi is not lite. Does that mean it's available but not connected? My last resort is to call Comcast but I don't think they have an 800 # anymore. The tech told me I'd have to pay for calls to them for help!

Are you able to test your wifi connection with any other wifi device - laptop, wifi capable cell phone, smart TV? Perhaps a friend or neighbor's laptop? If the light is not on the router for wifi that may mean that there is no wifi connection coming through. The authentication should be simple - an Android tablet should find the router when scanning for a wifi signal. If there is a password for the wifi connection, a screen on the tablet should come up and ask for the password - once input the connection should be made. This is basic and not specific to Comcast. Since your Comcast service is new, it may not have been set up for wifi at all or maybe not set up correctly. And they should not be asking you for money for customer tech service over the telephone! Suggest to them that if this is hoe they treat a new customer you will be contacting Fios to return and put their service back into your house. If all else fails and you are staying with Comcast, you should be able to pick up a wifi router that will plug into Comcast's router through a wired network connection for about $40. (Walmart). Follow the manual for the wifi router and it will step you through installation and connection.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

doxielvr
Explorer
Explorer

MrWizard
what tablet
goto settings and see WHAT/WHICH authentication method is being used
check the settings on the computer
make sure the tablet is using the same settings/mode
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
doxielvr wrote:
I just switched from Verizon Fios bundle to Comcast. I was able to connect my tablet and my computers to internet with Verizon but with Comcast I cannot get connected on my tablet. The message says authentication problem. Can someone please tell me how to correct this. Thanks

Umm.. did you think to contact COMCAST HELPDESK FIRST?

After all it IS THEIR system that you can not connect to...

Give them a ring on the landline, pretty good chance they will get you up and running.

Ya just gotta love it when you see a great answer!
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
We have had that problem a lot lately and we have to unplug the router box and plug it back in to get our mobile devices to reconnect. As soon as I get some time I am going to march the box into their store and have them exchange it for me.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxielvr wrote:

Umm.. did you think to contact COMCAST HELPDESK FIRST?

After all it IS THEIR system that you can not connect to...

Give them a ring on the landline, pretty good chance they will get you up and running.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
doxielvr wrote:

Comcast might be using an authentication protocol not supported, or not automatically detected, by your tablet. Ask Comcast if the modem/router can be downgraded to use an older, simpler method of authentication, or just opened up.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B