cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need recommendation on a print server

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a way to share a standalone printer that is currently connected to my wife's Mac. We have 2 Android smart phones and 2 Android tablets which need access to that printer.

We don't have a router but I always run my Samsung S5 as a hotspot for Internet connection, all of the devices run through that hot spot, even my Chromecast.

I'm guessing a WiFi print server is what I'm looking for? Something that will automatically attach to my hot spot when active and allow all devices to print to it.

Can anyone recommend one for me?

How do the Android devices get the proper drivers for the printer?

Thanks

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650
16 REPLIES 16

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
1492 wrote:
Just note that using a cloud print service uses your net data allowance. Printing by WiFi locally does not.

Good point but I'm running unlimited data on Verizon.

Ron
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
We dumped our Canom MFP Inkjet for the new small HP MFP M 277 dw. It's a Laserjet MFP color printer so costs more up front, but for us it was a better value than a Inkjet. $350 at Amazon.
"There are multiple ways of printing from iOS and Android devices. You can use Apple’s AirPrint or HP’s ePrint – the latter lets you simply email the files you want to print to the printer itself. There’s also support for Google Cloud Print, which lets you print documents from a Chromebook or indeed any computer connected to the internet. Of course, you needn’t bother with any of this if you don’t own any of these devices; there’s conventional Windows software too."
Maybe not for everyone, but might be a printer to choose if you don't print a lot, and have problems with your Inkjet print heads drying up. (toner doesn't dry up) It was very easy to set up with its touch screen display. This is so far the best printer I have ever owned. The one draw back is photo prints are not quite as good as our old Inkjet, but we can have our photos printed at Costco.
HP M 277 dw

The foot print is about the same as our old Canon MFP

rekoj71
Explorer
Explorer
I found this 3rd party app in the Google Play Store, (haven't tried it) that says it can print to any shared printer on your network, like your wife's if set up as shared like in a previous response.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.hammermill.premium&hl=en

It gets good reviews, but several apps came up with a search for the word print.

We got an HP Wi-Fi printer and HP has an app for android that I can print directly from my phone once on the same network as the printer, which is on the whole home network so all of our computers and tablets and phones print to it. I think some other brands do this also but didn't investigate as the printer was bought due to it's small size and to fit in an overhead cabinet.

PopBeavers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have not tried it, but my Epson printer can print from device that can send email. I can get an email address at Epson and anything sent to it will print on my printer.

At least that is what I think the documentation says.
Wayne in Coarsegold near Yosemite
2016 Keystone Cougar 303RLS
2015 Ford F350 diesel 6.7L 4x4 crew cab short bed
Super Glide hitch

Just note that using a cloud print service uses your net data allowance. Printing by WiFi locally does not.

Personally, I'd also just buy a new printer with WiFi capability instead having to deal with a separate print server. I've literally bought five Brother laser printers with WiFi capabilities from thrift shops for $10. or less. Actually, just wanted their drum and toner cartridges for my Brother laser, which are easily resettable and refillable using bulk toner. In fact, all the printers I've bought were fully functional, or were easily fixable - i.e. paper jams. Fast printing speeds and pennies per page.

I've also found brand new Epson WiFi All-In-One inkjet printer for $10., and snagged two new Epson R-series 11x17 format printers for $25. each at local thrift stores. B&H sells the same model on their site for $600. a piece. Though more of an opportunistic instance, then the normal rule.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
IMO you are $$ ahead replacing the printer with one that's WiFi capable for less than $100. Obviously it would be wonderful is your hotspot phone will allot you to transfer data through it ala a real router (my MiFi does). Barring that you will have to run P2P when printing.

As far as printing from the smartphone, I know nothing about Android, but the iPhone has several pretty good printing apps that don't require you to run an Apple printer. HP has a few apps as well but the 3rd party guys just do it better. I would be shocked if Android didn't have something at least as good as that for the iPhone
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Ok back again, not as easy as I thought the issue is the Android operating system really doesn't have a print routine. So, even if I got a WiFi print server for the printer the phone or tablet won't know "how" to print.

It looks like Google Cloud Print service could work but the print server I buy has to be able to connect to Google Cloud Print service. Something I haven't seen yet after some digging on the net.

They do sell printers with that option to use Cloud Print but obviously I need to ditch the old printer which would be a waste.

Ron W.
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
I you need to setup you own local network.
A WIFI router with USB to plug in the printer.

rjsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
SCVJeff wrote:
Does the printer have WiFi ?

Op back, no the printer has no WiFi capability I am assuming there there are external print servers with wifi that just plug into the printer port.

Ron
03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
For USB printers
To share your printer

1.Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
2.Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Printer properties.
3.Click the Sharing tab, and select the Share this printer check box.

Calicajun
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Espon Workforce 645. It works well, doesn't use a lot of ink like my photo printers use to use. Printing photos for my self and most of my clients I use Costco great quality and real good prices, cheater than print photos at home.
2014 Heartland Wildness 2775RB, 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 Mega Cab

Which printer do you have? Some have options for direct printing, using WiFi without a router. The process can be easier if apps are available from the printer manufacturer. Otherwise, the printer may have adhoc wireless connection abilities built-in, which need to be set manually. Once activated, you select the connection for your printer just like connecting to a WiFi access point. Brother printers have been able to do so for quite some time.