cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

No HD DIRECTV from My Winegard Travler...

clemdog
Explorer
Explorer
So we're camping in our new RV for the first outing. Had a Winegard Travler installed and with my HR24 Directv box from home it worked fine when we picked it up from the dealer.
However we're now at the campsite and the sat locked on to the 3 birds right away...just SD though. No HD.
Any ideas what might be wrong?
11 REPLIES 11

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
Our Winegard Trav'ler often works well under the trees although sometimes one of the three satellites is lost, not allowing us to watch a few channels. If heavily covered, we also use a separate dish set up on a tripod and attached to a separate connector. Chuck

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
clemdog wrote:
The reset did it!

Thanks all.

Two lines of wisdom.
First: ANY TIME you change from one antenna to another you need to do a RESET, during the receiver "Chats" with the antenna and learns about it so it knows how to control it.

Second: you need a tripod mounted portable dish as well as your rooftop, when changing from one to the other RESET.. Why do you need the ground mount?
Well if you are parked next to me here in the RV park I'm in, you don't, the roof top antenna will work no problem at all. ALso your air conditioenrs will owrk OVERTIME during the day (no trees)

If you are parked under the evil signal eating tree, your rooftop antenna is of no use at all, but the ground mount can be set up say 100 Feet away out of the shadow of said tree.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
We have the same set up that you have. When we move, we make sure the Winegard is locked on to satellites before we add power to the receiver. Remember, trees are not your friend if you want satellite TV. Once the receiver goes through the entire boot up process, all is well. We have never had a problem doing it this way. Chuck

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Great Clemdog!

Just remember these tips that everyone gave you on your DirecTV. I know when I don't use the Trailer for a month 1/2 , I always have to refresh, or reset or monkey with it!
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Check your connections, make sure the HDMI is snug, and keep looking at the MENU on the remote. You also may want to unplug the DirecTV for about 20 seconds and/or better yet - push the RED RESET button which is located in the front of the receiver. That compartment has a DirecTV "credit card looking thing" It will take about 6 minutes until you get back up and running, but this kind of hard boot on a DirecTV is pretty fail safe
2014 F-250

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also make sure the setting Dish Setup is correct for the Traveler.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

clemdog
Explorer
Explorer
The reset did it!

Thanks all.

clemdog
Explorer
Explorer
Tried a refresh but didn't help... Hide SD is chosen so probably not that.
Currently trying a complete reset...

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Check the HR24 settings and see if Hide HD duplicates is set.

Exactly! You may have your lineup to only show SD! Use the remote to get to the MENU part of the settings, the look around there~
2014 F-250

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Check the HR24 settings and see if Hide HD duplicates is set.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
You can always try to "refresh" your receiver. You can do so by logging onto you DirecTV account, and "refresh" it from there. Sometimes when you drive a ways from where you set it up, you'll periodically need to do this!
2014 F-250