cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

non-Verizon pay as you go Hotspot?

davpratt
Explorer
Explorer
Are there any "pay as you go hotspots" that do not use Verizon's network? Thanks -Dave
Dave
'16 Jayco 27DSRL "Motel 4 (wheels)"
'14 Tundra 1794 Crewmax "Silver Dragon"
Member: ACW
10 REPLIES 10

hilldude
Explorer
Explorer
If any one checks freedom Pop make sure it gets 3G, some of their devices ate 4g wimax only.I have the Over drive pro it is on Sprints data coverage.

JJnLilly
Explorer
Explorer
We used to volunteer at Garner SP and the only available cell service is through AT&T (It is what the park ranger's use too). When we had Sprint, we could get a signal only at a pull-off near Chicken Earl's and we know the Verizon is not available.
2007 Ram 2500 QC CTD
2020 Passport GT 2210

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Have not used it north of Uvalde, other than the SP, but south of Uvalde and over in the Cuero, Kenedy areas, we had no Verizon signal on our phones, but when the Sleek was plugged in, we went to 2 & 3 bars and a very usable signal. Even if you do have a signal on your phone, it will boost it so that you will almost never drop a call. To us, working in the oil fields, it was well worth the cost.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

davpratt
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:
The service you need there and in most of south Texas is AT&T. Sprint is worse than Verizon in south Texas. Have found that if you use an amplifier, like the Wilson Sleek, you will get Verizon in many places you "thought" you had no service. Been there, done that for years in that part of Texas.
Tell me more about this wilson sleek. snd specificslly have you used it in the Concan to Leakey area of Texas with Verizon? How much is it and where can you get it?
I ask because eveb Verizon's own coverage map- which is red where there is coverage, shows white (no coverage) in that area. online it looks like it costs $100-$150. but if it truky works in that area it would be worth it. I am not one to plunk down $150 just to try it out, and we have no definite plans to visit that area in the near future ( only wants).
Dave

Phil___Stephie
Explorer
Explorer
One at Walmart. Think it's T-Mobile, but not sure.

Phil & Stephanie Grey

"Partners In Life"
2016 Allegro 36LA
2007 Chevy HHR
Yorkies; Paisley Marie & Opie Taylor

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
The service you need there and in most of south Texas is AT&T. Sprint is worse than Verizon in south Texas. Have found that if you use an amplifier, like the Wilson Sleek, you will get Verizon in many places you "thought" you had no service. Been there, done that for years in that part of Texas.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are there others in the vicinity doing the same thing?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

davpratt
Explorer
Explorer
I will check out FreedomPop. It looks like they charge you $40 for a device then so much for certain amounts of data. I guess I should have been more specific: What I'd like to find is a non-verizon phone and hotspot. We need a phone that works in Leakey Tx (near Garner SP) whre verizon has zero service, and I'd like it to also be able to work as a hot spot so my DW can connect her tablet to the internet in and around Houston. Kind of killing two birds with one stone. if yiou kniw what I mean. Thx Dave
Dave

francheska
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Consumer Cellular they may have what you need. We has used them for years with our dumb
phone but have upgraded to a smart phone and will us them this fall. You can start and stop plans at no charge plus change usage amounts at any time with no charge.

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
You might check out FreedomPop - they use the Sprint network and have a 2Gb plan for $20/month. I have been using the Overdrive device for over a year and it has been relatively trouble free. It is a 3G device which I needed. They have others which are 4G as well as other data plan choices.