cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

OpenOffice file system

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
I recently installed OpenOffice on my computer. Now, when I want to save an updated Excel spreadsheet, it strongly suggests that it be saved in ODF format with an ".ods" extension. Is this a good idea, if I might go back to Microsoft Excel someday? Any advantages/disadvantages?
6 REPLIES 6

Gr8life
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Campfire for the how to. I do exchange a few files and my friends will recognize an ".xls" file quicker than ".ods".

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Forget saving anything in the native OpenOffice or LibreOffice formats. Its a waste of time. Change the defaults to automatically save as .xls and .doc. This can be done from Tools\Options. Expand Load/Save and click General. The option to change the saved document type is at the bottom of the dialog box.

Unless you are doing complicated formulas in spreadsheets and macros in word processing, the documents will open perfectly fine in Excel and Word if you have a need to share them with others. I've been using OpenOffice & LibreOffice for years. I would never go back. Why pay MS for a lot of fluff that only a handful of people will ever need?
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

The .ods extension is just the native file format for OpenOffice. Save in whatever format you are using. In my case, if I'm working on a Microsoft file in LibreOffice, I just save it using the same file format. If it's a new document, than I save using the .ods file format.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
If you plan to send the file to anyone with MS Excel, they will not be able to open it unless it is saved as .xls file unless you open the .ods file and resave it as .xls file.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

exeter_acres
Explorer
Explorer
I might go back to Microsoft Excel someday

Why??

๐Ÿ™‚

I save things in the native Open office format...
Involved in R/C airplanes and travel and camp at many events.
www.extremeflightrc.com

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
There are some differences between OpenOffice & Excel/Word file formatting so I would save in the OpenOffice file format & then do a Save As in DOC or XLS when needed.

However, I would NOT go back and forth editing the same DOC/XLS file in OpenOffice and Microsoft's suite.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs