cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

PlaySTation VUE

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody make the switch to Vue or Sling? How's it going if so?

We've used dish for years and are happy with it but I signed up for a free trial of Vue today. So far it seems to work ok but its clunkier than the dish DVR setup.

It would save $50 a month which adds up to a not insignificant amount over time.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
9 REPLIES 9

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

If you are talking about Sling then the info is wrong.
Nope, was talking about Vue. Sorry, it wasn't clear.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LMM CC/SB 4x4 LTZ
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
This is a year old thread that only had a couple of initial comments

Things have probable changed at least little

I don't know why it was dug up

You probably should have started a new thread
The Garystevens account spammed the thread.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

MrWizard
This is a year old thread that only had a couple of initial comments

Things have probable changed at least little

I don't know why it was dug up

You probably should have started a new thread
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
I subscribe to Vue during the winter, only season of the year I really watch TV. So was an easy way to dump Dish and save some $$$. Has enough programming to keep me busy. With a bonus that they carry Fox Sports North so I don't miss any Wild games!

Only item I wish was improved is there user interface. Not as user friendly as I think it could be.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about for your camper, it almost certainly won't work. The subscription is geo-locked to an IP address and zip code and you can only change it once. It is not intended to be used from multiple locations. And as lryrob9301 pointed out, you'll need a good internet connection with no data caps.

If you're talking about for your home, it works fine. You have to initially set up your account from either an Amazon Fire TV (or Stick) or Roku. After that, you can install apps on any of your devices and view on them. There is no hardware, it's all software. It does have DVR capabilities, but they're a little different than you may be used to (it doesn't keep track of what's been watched and what hasn't, you can't delete recordings, it keeps all versions of a show for 28 days so you can't pick and choose between new or repeats).

If you are talking about Sling then the info is wrong. I have been using Sling for the last year after I cut the cord along with my OTA tivo. The tv in my camper is a Roku tv and I can turn on my phones hotspot and watch either what has been recorded already or live tv from Sling.

You dont need to sign up on Amz stick or Roku if you dont want to - you can do it from your computer. You can also watch tv from your computer as well if you want to.

The DVR feature does let you delete shows, and it does keep track of them so you can set it up like a regular dvr to only record new shows etc...

The subscription is not locked into anything. I can watch Sling from any computer, my phone, my tablet etc...anywhere I have cell signal or wifi.

The same is true with my Tivo - although I also needed to buy a Tivo stream unit - to be able to stream it or download the recorded shows to my device.

I tried PSVUE but they didnt carry one of the channels i like history or discovery or something and Sling did, plus with their promo you got a free roku streaming stick.

At home I have the app installed on a firetv box (wired) and upstairs bedroom is the Roku (wireless) I have no problems with either of them

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

Garystevens
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I had never faced any problems regarding switching automatically between TYPE-A and TYPE-B while using the Xbox 360 controller. My brother is a craziest fan of playing video games, as soon as he heard about XBOX subscription prepaid cards offer a lot in a small price, he couldn't stop himself from Buying Xbox live gold 12 monate kaufen ( https://www.press-start.com/de/1-kaufen-xbox-live-gold-mitgliedschaft-12-monate/ ). When I had the XBOX 360 controller I received a button in the center of its face that provides a new functionality.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I canceled it. It works okay and I do get locals OTA but the Dish setup is a lot more user friendly. I guess I'll re-evaluate it again when and if Apple comes out with something. They seem to do a good job packaging things in a user friendly way most of the time. It is for my home. The camper is for...camping. :B
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

bwanshoom
Explorer
Explorer
If you're talking about for your camper, it almost certainly won't work. The subscription is geo-locked to an IP address and zip code and you can only change it once. It is not intended to be used from multiple locations. And as lryrob9301 pointed out, you'll need a good internet connection with no data caps.

If you're talking about for your home, it works fine. You have to initially set up your account from either an Amazon Fire TV (or Stick) or Roku. After that, you can install apps on any of your devices and view on them. There is no hardware, it's all software. It does have DVR capabilities, but they're a little different than you may be used to (it doesn't keep track of what's been watched and what hasn't, you can't delete recordings, it keeps all versions of a show for 28 days so you can't pick and choose between new or repeats).

One of the biggest challenges for any internet TV service is local broadcast channels. Vue offers this in limited cities (and it's an extra charge). If you live in an area where over the air is an option, that's a better way to go, in my opinion.

Vue is quite new as is its main competitor SlingTV. They are adding new channels and features fairly regularly so I expect it will only get better. The biggest issue with any of these services is not technology, it's lawyers. The broadcasting rights are very complicated and differ channel by channel. For example, due to league restrictions, NFL games are not available on phones except on the Verizon network. It's all pretty complicated and from a consumer's standpoint, very frustrating. I strongly recommend OTA for local channels, if possible.
2010 Cougar 322 QBS
Pullrite SuperGlide 18K

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
As I understand it you have to have a really strong wifi connection to make those work. What do you use for internet connection when camping?