cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portable Satellite Questions

rbp111
Explorer
Explorer
I have a directv system in my home. I own a satellite system for my rv which is portable, but not automatic. Sometimes in setting it up, I can do it in 5 minutes. Other times it can take over an hour. I am thinking about getting an automatic system (yes I know it cannot read HD).
My questions are these:
I feel like others that investing a lot of $ only to have the system go belly up in 2019 is a waste of money. Is it worth two years?
The dish network does not advertise it, but they are doing the same thing as directv according to a dealer in Quartzsite. Is this true?
Is there a solution that I am not aware of that the companies are working on?
6 REPLIES 6

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Also, use the Signal Meters screen, not the Signal Strength screen - the one that shows all the xponders.

The SM screen reacts instantaneously. Not so much the other one.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it were me and you already had experience manually pointing an antenna, I would stick with it. You can download an app for your smart phone called Dish Pointer Pro and it will show you exactly where in the sky the 101 satellite is located. It should cut your pointing time in nearly every case.
As a direct answer to your question, the dome style auto. pointing antennas work great for DirecTV or Dish (some are Dish only). They are simple to setup and they should last you for many years if you treat them with care. If you use DirecTV at home the easiest solution is to stay with DirecTV.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If I were you I'd try to get better at dish aiming. You don't say what you use, but I use a Swift Hitch portable TV which substitutes for someone watching the TV and yelling at me. In line meters are expensive and I find them rather difficult to use. Your receiver already has a meter that's never wrong. Also, I believe the Genie receivers have the beeps. That would be nice, as I have no idea why DTV silenced them in their HD receivers.

SD sucks, basically.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard SK-SWM is a direct HD antenna system. As an alternative from a nimber of Ebay sellers you can buy the latest Direct meter. It will get you peaked signal in a couple of minutes. Plus it has the ability to troubleshoot other coax issues.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
DirecTV and AT&T have joined up to provide SAT TV over the internet. No SAT ANTENNA needed...

Just need a big AT&T DATAPLAN and use AT&T cell phone towers...

AT&T has really improved their coverage area of late but I guess VERIZON still has the best coverage area across the whole USA...

Been several folks on here posted about using their new system setup and it apparently works great...

I have got brochures from DIRECTV trying get me to sign up again... It almost sounds like AT&T now owns DIRECTV perhaps...

Added Note: "DALLAS, TEXAS – July 24, 2015 — AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) has completed its acquisition of DIRECTV. The newly combined company – the largest pay TV provider in the United States and the world – will offer millions of people more choices for video entertainment on any screen from almost anywhere, any time." from GOOGLE SEARCH...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
This may not help, but a few months ago when I first heard about Direct TV doing away with SD TV, I sent a email to Winegard asking if they knew anything about this. The reply was NO.
Now, this may have been just a marketing statement. I am sure they want to sell their SD equipment as long as possible.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog