cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power For New Roku

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got a Roku stick that plugs into a HDMI port. Power cord that comes with it kinda resembles a cube with a USB plug for the power cord to the stick.

So now you can buy a shorter cord that plugs into as usb on the TV and straight into the back of the Roku.

So the thought hit me, why can't I just take the usb of the power cord provided and stick it into a usb on the back of the TV, instead of using up another outlet.

Will my idea work or will I have something go kapoof?

thanx
6 REPLIES 6

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
thanks all

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My fire stick at home works on one TV when you use the TV USB but it does not work on the other.

MrWizard
specs say 2 watts , at 5v thats 400MA

that should work from the TV usb, if the TV does not give you any errors
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's worth a try. Check the TV manual for the USB power output.

Also, you can get outlets with a USB built in. Pretty handy!
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

zachcycles
Explorer
Explorer
As MrWizard said the TV USB port may be under powered but in most cases I have seen your idea works just fine. Another problem I've run into using your idea is that the TV thinks something it should use is plugged into the USB port and either pops an error or locks up trying to 'see'/use what is plugged in...
Whether out in the motor home or just sittin n sippin a fine whiskey, my mind wanders these daze. I'm ok with this...

MrWizard
look at the rating on the power cube
odds are its more power aka amps than the USB port on the TV, which designed as an input port an maxes out at about 500 MA

you can try it.. but the roku probably will not work correctly,
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s