cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Printer stopped working

DKean
Explorer
Explorer
My Dell 924 printer stopped responding to my computer print request. So I put the printer CD in to try to reinstall it. I got a message that said that the spool wasn't running (or something like that). Being the great computer tech I am;) I tried to uninstall it. Then I got a popup that said remove the USB plug from the printer,which I did.

When I tried to continue with the uninstall another popup said the printer was busy with a print job. :h All this started because the printer wouldn't respond to a print request. :S

This printer must be a member of a union.
We now have a 2018 Ford Explorer,2wheel drive.
8 REPLIES 8

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
HappyKayakers wrote:

First paragraph. haddy1 was correct about deleting files manually with the spooler service stopped.

Yes, but that's a pain for users who don't know how to navigate the file system. Not to mention haddy1 and I posted at the same time!
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
The spool service stopped more likely due to the print driver crashing more than anything else. That said, if the spooler service is down you will not be able to delete the print job as 1492's video shows.

Unfortunately some devices get so old its not cost effective for anyone to write drivers for them anymore. Its like finding parts for old cars. At some point you just have to throw in the towel. You may end up buying a new printer.

First paragraph. haddy1 was correct about deleting files manually with the spooler service stopped.

Second paragraph, very true. Not sure if this was the OP's first attempt to print or if it recently stopped working. More details about OS, age of printer and printing history would have been very helpful.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
The spool service stopped more likely due to the print driver crashing more than anything else. That said, if the spooler service is down you will not be able to delete the print job as 1492's video shows.

Unfortunately some devices get so old its not cost effective for anyone to write drivers for them anymore. Its like finding parts for old cars. At some point you just have to throw in the towel. You may end up buying a new printer.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
If win8 works like previous versions you can try the following.

Launch administrative tools and turn off the spooler.

Go to win/sys32/spooler and clear the cache (files)

Launch adm tools again and turn spooler on.
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

DKean wrote:

When I tried to continue with the uninstall another popup said the printer was busy with a print job. :h All this started because the printer wouldn't respond to a print request. :S

Clear out the current print queue similar to this:

DKean
Explorer
Explorer
OK. I got this from another site. Does it sound right.( I have 8.1 )

Techfan15
Posted by Techfan15
on 23 Mar 2014 1:56 PM

Hi I already installed the printer 924 in my Windows 8.1 computer. I used Vista 64 bits drivers and the compatibility mode Vista SP2. The installation looked successful and I also was able to print a test page. When I tried to print a document I get this message: The printer can not communicate with the computer. Please turn on "Enable Bidirectional Communication" setting in the printer properties dialog". I turned on enable bidirectional communication setting already but is giving me the same error message and I can not print.
All-in-One Printer, Windows 8

Mary G
Posted by Mary G
on 23 Mar 2014 2:35 PM

There are no win 8 drivers for that model. Printers don't work in win 8 with old vista drivers. Since there are no win 8 drivers, you need to buy a new printer. Printers are cheap. It's the ink that is expensive.
We now have a 2018 Ford Explorer,2wheel drive.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Go into your computer's Administrative Tools, Services. Scroll down to print spooler. If it doesn't say Started, then right click and select Start. If it won't start, try a reboot. If it still won't start, check the Event Viewer to find a clue about why it won't start.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
First thing you should have tried was a simple re-boot.