cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Providing my own WiFi

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently in an "RV Resort" and the WiFi, well if I can say this, "it sucks".

I am ready to upgrade my Samsung J3 to a S9 and would like to have my own WiFi.

I have a J3 and theDW has an old g3 panatech. Our daughter gave her a S7 that she is thinking about activating. The DW has AT&T and I have Verison, we have better coverage that way.

Which is better, a phone based hot spot or a separate hot spot. I don't know what the current devices are called. We would like one device or program to provide WiFi for both phones.

Your suggestions please.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
29 REPLIES 29

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
In Canada, there are no cell plans with unlimited data for NON phone devices.

Bell has one for phones which allows unlimited tethering.

Telus has unlimited data for phones which does NOT allow unlimited tethering. When the high speed data is gone, tethering is not allowed.

SaskteL has two plans for phones which include unlimited data and tethering. One is throttled at 540 kps and the other more expensive throttles at 2 mps. I find that sometimes the 2mps is much preferred.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
W We would like one device or program to provide WiFi for both phones.

I am confused by this statement. Why would you bring on another device to provide WIFI for your phones and not just use your data plan? You already have both major carriers to get better coverage so it would probably be better upgrade your data plans (if needed) rather than get a third line from a single carrier.

If you want WIFI for your PC's, my wife and I cruised for 6 months both working full-time on our laptops using my Samsung and AT&T unlimited data as a WIFI hotspot. I was also in conference calls at least 4 hours a day while we used the hotspot. I did need to keep the phone plugged in the entire time we worked (and at night while it monitored our anchor for drifting)!

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jorbill2or wrote:
How much data will you use ? The cellphone ( most ) will put low data cap on hotspot data on your โ€œunlimited โ€œ phone The dedicated hotspot will cost more but give you multiple WiFi connections tv laptop etc.โ€ Verizon โ€œ works well for you now but are you traveling ? H

We've found the costs are generally lower using the phone. The dedicated hotspot device needs it's own plan and we already have phones.

We can connect multiple devices to a phone, just like a dedicated device.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
How much data will you use ? The cellphone ( most ) will put low data cap on hotspot data on your โ€œunlimited โ€œ phone The dedicated hotspot will cost more but give you multiple WiFi connections tv laptop etc.โ€ Verizon โ€œ works well for you now but are you traveling ? Howโ€™s sprint/ t mobile? For example โ€ฆ. FMCA. Offers members 50 bucks a month for truly unlimited hotspot ! lease the hotsopt for 40 bucks upfront .
calix institute for and annual 400$ donation will give you a truly unlimited-free hotspot (that works out to 33 bucks a month). After you buy the hotspot .
there are many more solutions. How much do you need and want to spend ?
Btw we never used campground WiFi in the last 5 years full time . We have att on the phone 40g ea hotspot. And an old att hotspot Mobley plan long gone - 23 bucks .. Verizon ( no longer avail ) 65 a month unlimited hotspot. We no longer use satellite for tv and stream youtube tv with others and my DW zoom business calls for well over 200 -300g a month.
Bill

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm working from home, which is now in a campground.

Primary internet is OTR Mobile, which is "unlimited", it is capped at 300G.

Secondary for work, is my work hot spot, which in our permanent location is questionable signal.

Tertiary for work and secondary for personal use is personal phone hotspot.

4th level is campground wifi, which us unusable at all in the summer. It's marginally useful after Labor day, but not on the weekends.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:

Stand alone MiFi hotspot 4G does not work any better than my old Samsung phone when connecting to it.

It's mostly about the plan you get.

TRUE !

Most cell phone plans can really gouge you once you hit a limit. Nomad has no limit and can go month-to-month billing.

Antennas work if the device is designed to use one and the antenna is designed for the correct frequency. The big win for an external antenna is the ability to mount it higher above the ground.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
theoldwizard1,

What you suggest would work--but it may be pricier than just using the phones.

TRUE ! I just think that a separate device is easier to use for multiple people/devices. Plus you don't have to worry about running out of battery on your phone.

Like most things, research IS REQUIRED !

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just use the phones. They 'should' have the same access to 4G if that's what you can get where you are at.

Stand alone MiFi hotspot 4G does not work any better than my old Samsung phone when connecting to it.

It's mostly about the plan you get.

My phone does not have much data, as I don't really need that, but it has enough to connect to it if needed. As long as you have Cell service where you are!

Antenna's don't really work in my experience.. My Office allows me to use their MiFi when I'm out of the office.

If I'm out of Cell range on the phone, the MiFi is not any better, even with some external antenna's plugged in.

But, I agree, use your own "WiFi" anytime you are in a park that offers "free WiFi"... You will never be able to do more than browse Google or check email. Plus the security issues are too great to make it worth it at all.

Anyway, good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
We have unlimited data plans and use our phones as Hot Spots. Works great but is pricey.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I donโ€™t know about your phones, but we both have iPhones and iPads (WIFI ONLY) and when required, will connect the iPads to the WIFI hotspot created on the iPhones from the iPads and also the smart TV. We will be installing a cell booster with external antenna to improve reception.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're not "have to have internet" but I do like to have access. My wife and I both have "hot spot" T- Mobile phones, I have an additional Visible phone on Verizon used if T mobile isnt. And finally, since I got in on the ToGo craze a few years ago, I keep the yearly plan on AT&T for Data.

Sounds like a lot but we are on the Geezer plan for T mobile, the 25.00 a month for Visible and I think the AT&T plan is 300.00+/- yearly for X amount of data...( 100 gigs yearly). Works for us and I've yet to be without at least some internet.

I did add a We Boost cell Booster also....helps a lot.
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1,

What you suggest would work--but it may be pricier than just using the phones.

I do have a cell phone booster. It does make a difference in fringe areas. It is rarely used.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:

Which is better, a phone based hot spot or a separate hot spot. I don't know what the current devices are called. We would like one device or program to provide WiFi for both phones.

I think the "proper" term is "cell to WiFi adapter".

IMHO a dedicated device will be easier to use for multiple devices.

Also, I would buy a device that has connections for external antennas. 2 for cell and 2 for WiFi.

I would also set it up on separate account, and maybe a separate MVNO, preferably one that is a month-to-month so you can cancel when you want. Nomad Internet is one example.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We dropped the separate stand alone device with a separate plan you have to pay for several years back.

Just activate the hotspot on your phones.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have two phones from different providers. Both allow tethering. I use wifi between them. I use up the high speed on one--and I can do most things while throttled, including watching netflix. So far I'm using about 54 gigs per month.

So in your shoes, I'd simply add unlimited data, with unlimited tethering.
Regards, Don